• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The next step

Gray Mule

:dancing18:

It's finally here! Pre season. It's been a long time since we've saw our Hawks on the floor,

actually working on their game.

We watched the Dream go to the finals in the WNBA, hoping we get the Hawks in the same

position. We expect to make the playoffs. Winning the east, as the Dream did, will be tough.

All starters returning. Some new players for our bench and an entirely different head coach

and staff with new ideas that we hope really work.

Today, it begins. Page one, the introduction.

GO HAWKS!!

:newspaper:

:snowballfight:

Hard Work! That's the battle cry for this season's practice.

Had a mile run to start things. Some smaller players didn't make the targeted time,

but they didn't say who. The big men all made it.

Working on their speed and endurance.

Interesting - - -

Edited by Gray Mule

• Moderators

I saw that too. It said Bibby and Smoove hadn't run a mile since high school? Damn. I know bball conditioning is different but seriously you need endurance too.

I can't believe all the big guys could do a 7 minute mile. Not that its a sprint but 7 minutes is pretty quick. Collins obviously has been working out if he made it. I'm guessing Bibby did make it but i don't know who else. JT, JJ should have made it. Mo is hurt.

I wonder if it's really more difficult for the bigs to run a mile than it is for the smalls. Assuming similar conditioning to the guards, wouldn't the longer legs allow them longer strides therefore covering more ground with a lesser amount of energy?

It probably is more difficult for the big guys. Especially for someone like Collins. Most professional long distance runners are not 7ft, 200 odd lbs. :)

It probably is more difficult for the big guys. Especially for someone like Collins. Most professional long distance runners are not 7ft, 200 odd lbs. :)

Yea but there's a long distance (no pun) from a mile to a marathon. I remember it from running track myself when I was younger and having to bust my *ss having to keep pace with a taller guy that was seemingly taking one step to my 5. Watching the Shaq Vs episode earlier in the summer reminded me of this as both Shaq and Dwight more than held their own against professional runners and speed demon NFL players due to their longer strides.

• Moderators

I wonder if it's really more difficult for the bigs to run a mile than it is for the smalls. Assuming similar conditioning to the guards, wouldn't the longer legs allow them longer strides therefore covering more ground with a lesser amount of energy?

The bigs all ran it under 7. It was just the little guys who didn't make it.

Drew said all of Atlanta's power forwards and centers met his requirement to finish in less than seven minutes. Not all of the smaller players made their mark but Drew declined to reveal specifics.

When I read it I took it that the bigs had a requiremnt of 7 minutes to meet which they did, but the gaurds a different time limit to meet like 5 or 6 mins that all of them didnt meet. I would assume Drew wants his gaurds faster than his centers therefore is holding them to a different standard.

i doubt Collins is faster than any of our gaurds including Bibby

• Moderators

When I read it I took it that the bigs had a requiremnt of 7 minutes to meet which they did, but the gaurds a different time limit to meet like 5 or 6 mins that all of them didnt meet. I would assume Drew wants his gaurds faster than his centers therefore is holding them to a different standard.

I think that is right. A 7 minute mile should not be hard for an NBA guard.

Well while I admire LDs "old school" attitude - a timed mile run is pretty stupid for NBA players IMO. Most world class sprinters couldn't even finish a mile run in any better time than an average amateur runner (nor would their coaches allow them to do it in the first place). A few wind sprints blows out the lungs just as good as a mile run...plus..long distance running uses different muscle groups than speed running and the quick movement needed on an NBA court. This could actually be a counter-productive drill.

Just what we need brick%20wall.gif Teague long striding down the court and counting his breaths.

I've tried distance running a few times (was forced to in the military) but the best workout I ever get is on a raquetball court.

Edited by DJlaysitup

I wouldn't call it "old school." Most high schools and colleges still have their players conditioned this way.

Well if they do they are ignorant. Distance running does nothing to improve the fast twitch muscles needed in the NBA (or in sprinting). Whaddaya wanna do? thin these fellas out like Kenyans? It's silly. You train for the sport you compete in.

Well if they do they are ignorant. Distance running does nothing to improve the fast twitch muscles needed in the NBA (or in sprinting). Whaddaya wanna do? thin these fellas out like Kenyans? It's silly. You train for the sport you compete in.

You don't think it'll help endurance ?

• Moderators

I don't see this as a training issue. I think LD set the bar where he felt any reasonably fit player would be able to pass it. Then he used it as a barometer for whether guys were in solid shape to start camp. Jason Collins passed for goodness sake! He obviously isn't starting a long-distance training program.

I don't see this as a training issue. I think LD set the bar where he felt any reasonably fit player would be able to pass it. Then he used it as a barometer for whether guys were in solid shape to start camp. Jason Collins passed for goodness sake! He obviously isn't starting a long-distance training program.

This is my take as well. Plus, it helps establish that LD is the man in charge of the team, not the players. Overall, it is a good move.

• Moderators

This is my take as well. Plus, it helps establish that LD is the man in charge of the team, not the players. Overall, it is a good move.

Rather than good move or bad move, it strikes me as completely inconsequential.

• Premium Member

Well while I admire LDs "old school" attitude - a timed mile run is pretty stupid for NBA players IMO. Most world class sprinters couldn't even finish a mile run in any better time than an average amateur runner (nor would their coaches allow them to do it in the first place). A few wind sprints blows out the lungs just as good as a mile run...plus..long distance running uses different muscle groups than speed running and the quick movement needed on an NBA court. This could actually be a counter-productive drill.

Just what we need brick%20wall.gif Teague long striding down the court and counting his breaths.

I've tried distance running a few times (was forced to in the military) but the best workout I ever get is on a raquetball court.

We're talking about practice. Not a game, not a game... Practice. ..... Practice. Good thing AI didn't sign up for this. I think you need to consider that he's building up their stamina not necessarily isolating various muscles. The best way to condition the lungs without injury is that mile run. Moreover, windsprints are not a great conditioning tool because it trains the players to run in bursts of speed. Start, run hard, then stop. What LD is training them for is continual movement. I applaud this. I hope to see no standing around on offense and not getting beat down the court on defense.