• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Atlanta Hawks: Josh Smith is not on trading block

JTB

Now the B.S. can officially stop....damn chad ford can f*ck some stuff up getting people to believe anything. If he had a stronger background than I wouldnt blame people but this was obviously stupid and not thought threw at all!

link:

http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2010/11/05/atlanta-hawks-josh-smith-is-not-on-trading-block/?cxntfid=blogs_hawks

Here's what really stands out:

It’s not true. Sund didn’t want to comment on the rumors, which is his usual policy, but Smoove confirmed that team management reassured him he’s not on the trading block.

“They didn’t need to,” he said. “Some people just want to make it interesting and put lies out there on blogs and stuff to amuse people.”

Another good point from the article from cunningham:

Now if some team came along and offered a top 5 or 10 talent for Smoove, then of course Sund would consider that deal just like any other sane GM. But Sund is not looking to move Josh and the Hawks aren’t under any pressure, financial or otherwise, to trade him or any of their other core players right now.So I suggest you do as Smoove does and shrug off the speculation, focus on basketball and see how this all plays out.

What is True:

Again Chad Ford knows nothing about the hawks its obvious or he would have written a true statement that made more sense. The real question is how are the hawks going to keep Jamal after this season with out going over the lux tax. Now there are many scenarios like for example: Diesel suggest we trade marvin for brewer, and while thats not a great trade it gives us the option to retain crawford but again this is one of many options......I think!

Edited by JTB

• Premium Member

I'm pretty sure Jamal is gone after this year. Hope I'm wrong though

If he's willing to stay for the MLE (or whatever the equivalent is under the new CBA), fine. If not, the team won't collapse. Last year, a team whose only major difference was Jamal-for-Flip won 6 more games, but that was after a virtually injury-free year (and led to the exact same performance in the playoffs). Jamal is fun to watch, but I'm hardly convinced that losing him would be a disaster.

Edited by niremetal

• Premium Member

If he's willing to stay for the MLE (or whatever the equivalent is under the new CBA), fine. If not, the team won't collapse. Last year, a team whose only major difference was Jamal-for-Flip won 6 more games, but that was after a virtually injury-free year (and led to the exact same performance in the playoffs). Jamal is fun to watch, but I'm hardly convinced that losing him would be a disaster.

I don't think it would be a disaster but it would make us significantly worse. He IS our bench, and our second best offensive player.

• Premium Member

Even though I'm not a fan of Ford at all for his years of Atlanta bashing to his blatantly ripping me off years ago when I actually had some connections and posted it here....if you reread what Ford wrote all he's doing is regurgitating what other GMs in the NBA told him. They are the ones speculating the Hawks couldn't afford everyone and would have to trade Josh since they know the Hawks have tried to dump Marvin and couldn't.

So all Ford did is making some suppositions from other GMs and throw it out there as a hot shot rumor. Of course it had no basis in reality but that's what Ford always does. He takes something reasonable or even plausible, gets some "sources" to vet it then throws it out there on the internet.

I'm glad Josh isn't on the block. The only way I'd trade him is what I've said before is if we got back a huge upgrade at center (Al moves to PF) or PG or SF.

• Like 1

key line that you guys all seemed to miss:

"Now if some team came along and offered a top 5 or 10 talent for Smoove, then of course Sund would consider that deal just like any other sane GM"

Also, I would think Chad Ford knows a bit more than some small time writer from the AJC. While the rumours about trading Smith may be just rumours right now,

you never know what's going to happen in the future.

All I know is this:

1) We have 2 power forwards

2) We just locked up one of them for another 5 years

3) Jamal wants a contract extention

4) We have limited $ to spend after extending Al and resigning Joe

Is there anyone on this forum that wouldn't trade Josh for a top 5 or even top 10 Center?

Edited by JackB1

• Premium Member

Chad Ford couldn't tell his elbow from his a**hole if his life depended on it. The man is one of the biggest hack journalists on the face of the earth, and he has consistently written nothing but wild unfounded speculation when it regards anything about the Hawks. If you think his article had even an ounce of actual journalistic integrity than that is your loss... Just consider that his sources are random anonymous GM's (from OTHER teams) and he goes on to state that everything in his article should not be taken as anything other than wild speculation. Last time I checked reporters had to report news, not speculate on it... but well, in the age of misinformation that we live in I guess textbook hack journalism has become the norm, especially in the cesspool that is sports journalism.

Also, Jack, what Centers are we talking about? Exactly who are ¨the top 5" or ten Centers? I'll tell you one thing Horford EASILY makes the list of top 5 centers, and Smoove EASILY makes the list of top 5 PFs, so I would guess at the very least we would want a center who is better than Horford to replace Smith. The only guy I can really think of is Brooke Lopez because of his age, maybe Bynum, but he is injury prone like crazy. What dominant Center is to be had in a trade? What dominant Center even EXISTS?? You want to trade Smith but you have never proposed even one single plausible trade that would improve our team. And obviously the reason is that there just isn't any trades we could make for Smoove that would improve us. Which is the main obvious reason we can all tell Chad Ford was speaking out of his *ss... again.

yeah jamal = flip :write a letter: lol

You failed to account for the fact that Zaza,Bibby,Marvin,and Mo all had down years last year so everything wasnt the same between the two years Jamal picked up all of there slack during the season AND then did Flip job.

• Premium Member

"Now if some team came along and offered a top 5 or 10 talent for Smoove, then of course Sund would consider that deal just like any other sane GM"

Also, I would think Chad Ford knows a bit more than some small time writer from the AJC. While the rumours about trading Smith may be just rumours right now,

All I know is this:

Is there anyone on this forum that wouldn't trade Josh for a top 5 or even top 10 Center?

I'd trade Josh in a hot second for a top five center or point guard or small forward. Problem is I don't see any team beating down Sund's door to make that trade.

Also, I would think Chad Ford knows a bit more than some small time writer from the AJC.

Really? Why? If the writer from the AJC is close to the team why in the world would you think that a national writer who constantly just speculates would know more about this team then someone who actually covers them? Just because people are on TV from time to time doesn't mean they know what they're talking about

I told everybody that Chad Ford started this rumor and that all of JackB's sources came from the same source

Chad Ford is a joke who has hated the Hawks for as long as I can remember. People like him are ruined by the Hawks having success because of predictions he made about the team in the past, and he will stoop even as low as trying to wish a fabricated rumor into existence to try to tear apart the team. Pretty low, and hilarious that he got exposed

Really? Why? If the writer from the AJC is close to the team why in the world would you think that a national writer who constantly just speculates would know more about this team then someone who actually covers them? Just because people are on TV from time to time doesn't mean they know what they're talking about

JackB is delusional right now. He just quoted something suggesting the door would be open if someone offered a top 5-10 talent for Josh Smith. Nah you think!

A top 5-10 player in the NBA, is just going to be up for grabs LOL

LOL I dont think Ive ever seen anyone say "Chad Ford knows " and then add something positive to end the of that .

Yeah Crank...sometimes these guys go too far IMO. As an older fella from the "Cronkite generation" I'm torn. I love the internet but you really have to be careful about simple fiction being presented as fact.

• Premium Member

Also, I would think Chad Ford knows a bit more than some small time writer from the AJC.

You think an ESPN guy who makes his living peddling rumors knows more than a beat writer? Wow. No, that's not how things work in sports journalism. A beat writer is not "small-time."

That is the single most ridiculous sentence ever written in the history of the universe.

Edited by niremetal

You think an ESPN guy who makes his living peddling rumors knows more than a beat writer? Wow. No, that's not how things work in sports journalism. A beat writer is not "small-time."

That is the single most ridiculous sentence ever written in the history of the universe.

Beat writers live and die with the team. They know things the players' mother's don't. Not sure Jack meant that the way it sounded but yeah...Chad Ford was just speculating based on what he knows about our roster.

All I know is this:

Man Im not bashing you cause most of the time I like your threads but I didnt know you had so much hate for Josh Smith...(lol maybe I missed those threads) but he's are best all around player and he's young, now if we were able to get a top 5 or 10 player in the NBA for smith without doubt you make that trade or atleast listen to it but look how many teams that have these top players are willing to do that. I mean theres melo but honestly he would have to want to come here and lately he does nothing but talk about joining the knicks or nets or somebody. never has melo or any other star said they want to come to atlanta. By the way.............

You are basically saying ford is smarter than cunningham and that is very false. Ford speculates the hawks roster and make predictions and rumors based off of that. he never really knows this team. Plus ford covers all of the NBA. Cunningham and other AJC writers cover the hawks and the hawks only most of the time. plus they are always in that area of atlanta it makes more sense that they know more about ATL franchises than most national sport analyst cause thats the only team they research on. An that goes for writers from AJC, Boston Globe, LA times, New York times and etc.