• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Trade Rumor with Pistons

MrNique

Sekou posted this today:

I explained to my scout friend that I’d heard a great trade rumor about the Hawks and Pistons discussing a package to swap Prince (and another piece like Will Bynum, who cannot be moved until after Dec. 15) for Jamal Crawford and Jeff Teague (which would be an interesting swap for the Hawks since they don’t really have great depth in the backcourt) and he kindly opened up about the state of affairs, as he sees it, in the East.

Now, I've been open for a couple of season to any idea that nets us Prince. I think he would be the perfect starting 3 for us. But giving up Crawford? I don't like it because we lose all our offensive punch off the bench. We see what happens to us in games where he is not playing: we struggle to score when starters go away. And JC2 isn't ready. Yet.

Sekou posted this today:

Now, I've been open for a couple of season to any idea that nets us Prince. I think he would be the perfect starting 3 for us. But giving up Crawford? I don't like it because we lose all our offensive punch off the bench. We see what happens to us in games where he is not playing: we struggle to score when starters go away. And JC2 isn't ready. Yet.

Yeah but if Will Bynum was the other piece in that trade then he can be a decent scorer off the bench and actually gives us a GOOD option at backup pg who actually plays a lil d.....then you also have marv or prince (whomever Drew decides to sit) coming off the bench as well and I think those 2 can make up for the loss of Craw from the bench.....it'll be more of a platoon thing instead of just one man....perimeter defense gets better because we wouldn't lose anything defensively with either Prince or duck booty out there

Since both Teague and Crawford spend time at the 1 that would really make the Hawks dangerously thin at the point. The deal makes sense assuming that they believe Teague won't be a long term answer at the point.

Crawford is an expirer and it is clear he won't be resigned. As good as his scoring is he cant play D at all and D is the Hawks big weakness. Marvin would most likely move to the bench and he would probably get more looks with the second unit.

But they definitely will have to have a plan in place to land at least one backup pg if this deal goes through.

Edited by exodus

Since both Teague and Crawford spend time at the 1 that would really make the Hawks dangerously thin at the point. The deal makes sense assuming that they believe Teague won't be a long term answer at the point.

Crawford is an expirer and it is clear he won't be resigned. As good as his scoring is he cant play D at all and D is the Hawks big weakness. Marvin would most likely move to the bench and he would probably get more looks with the second unit.

But they definitely will have to have a plan in place to land at least one backup pg if this deal goes through.

Prince is also an expiring contract, so you would have to assume that such a deal would be made for basketball reasons, not money reasons. This deal leaves us without any realistic successor to Bibby - Bynum may be a nice bench PG, but I can't see starting him. And I'm biased towards liking the guy, since I went to GT.

I wonder if there would be a related trade to move Marvin out for a veteran PG who is starting quality?

That's not a bad trade but how the hell does it work for teh Pistons? Seriously they already have Rip Hamilton, Gordon, T-Mac at the 2. How does Crawford help that situation? None of those guys can play the three.

I was going to say they want Crawford's expirer but Prince is an expirer too. I don't see their angle either.

Prince is also an expiring contract, so you would have to assume that such a deal would be made for basketball reasons, not money reasons. This deal leaves us without any realistic successor to Bibby - Bynum may be a nice bench PG, but I can't see starting him. And I'm biased towards liking the guy, since I went to GT.

I wonder if there would be a related trade to move Marvin out for a veteran PG who is starting quality?

Crawford and Prince are both expiring deals so longterm its a Teague for Bynum swap.

I would like to find a way to do the deal without giving up Teague. Maybe the Hawks value Bynum more then I do. Bynum's defense is pretty good but Teague still has vast potential, in my eyes, to be an elite defender at PG. Bynum is the more steady player now but Teague still has potential.

Another thing a deal like this would show is that the Hawks think a lot of Jordan Crawford.

Edited by coachx
  • Like 2

Crawford and Prince are both expiring deals so longterm its a Teague for Bynum swap.

I would like to find a way to do the deal without giving up Teague. Maybe the Hawks value Bynum more then I do. Bynum's defense is pretty good but Teague still has vast potential, in my eyes, to be an elite defender at PG.

I don't like Teague for Bynum. Bynum is 27 and has likely peaked. His game is not likely to age well. I think the Pistons are rebuilding, and the whole point of this deal must be to acquire Teague. That's the Pistons angle. They are going to cut loose Prince anyhow, try and use him to acquire a building block. They would not resign Crawford.

Likewise, I don't think Prince is much of an upgrade over Marvin. From an efficiency standpoint, they are quite similar. Prince can pass and move the ball better, so perhaps would fit the offense a bit more. Prince seems to have some leadership qualities as well. Marvin is probably the least creative guy we have starting in terms of making plays, judged from years of watching him and his low assist tallies.

Prince is on the wrong side of 30.....and not signed beyond this year. We can't give up Teague for nothing, so I wonder what assurances they could get about extending Prince?

Sekou posted this today:

I like the move more than any I've seen. Clearly Marvin will have to be moved potentially but Marvin/Prince split should work for a little while. Marvin still holds value as a starter and could be moved in the future but I don't like the idea of trading Crawford but Det is only trading Prince for an expiring. I would rather Stuckey and Prince for Craw and Teague to be honest but that could get pricey.

Guys, Bynum is a top 30 PG, he must definitely can start but is he an impact player, no. But he is he cheap, yes. Does he play decent defense, yes. Can he be a threat offensively, yes. He is a playmaker, no. But that's okay for the pieces we have around him.

From listening to Sund, it seems as if he doesn't rate Teague. That could be the issue but Drew does rate him.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

I don't like Teague for Bynum. Bynum is 27 and has likely peaked. His game is not likely to age well.

This group of Hawks can't wait for Teague. The Hawks are looking to win now. The JJ-Smith-Horford core are in their primes. They need someone who can produce now. Teagues inability to make a perimeter shot is a major problem.

Management has committed to this core which puts the Hawks clearly in win now mode. No more building for the future, waiting for potential, etc.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I hope this trade rumor and the rumors about Mo's knee being a chronic issue aren't related. If so, BOTH rumors become valid. The Good news is you get Prince and Bynum who can both be productive for the Hawks offensively and defensively right away. The bad news is you give up Crawford and a young, developing PG in teague. I like both Crawford and Teague and don't want to see either one of them go. Craw is an integral part of this team and Teague seems to be getting more comfortable out on the floor. They need to give this current team until the trade deadline and then see where they want to go with the roster. If it's a matter of finding an interim backup SF, there has to be someone floating around out there. I know Bobby Simmons was just let go by the Spurs.

Another SF? Check.

All NBA defensive player on the wing at that? Check

I like the trade because I think the team can score just fine without Jamal, Drew's system almost ensures that. We are and have been ranked amongst the top in the league in offense so I doubt one player leaving would tank that but Prince would definitely help our average ranked defense because he makes his mark on the one area we are weakest in which is the perimeter. I don't like the Bynum part though, for his production and contract you might as well keep Teague. If we could switch him out instead for Stuckey then that would be worth the 1 year rental and cap hit.

I do like the idea of having a PG who can play defense. Bynum is solid as a rock. Guys like Billups can't bully him around like they do Teague and Bynum is quick enough to defend most PGs well. All in all it probably makes the Hawks a better team today but I'm not so sure about next year. I still have faith in Teague but his poor perimeter shooting and low shot release point is a point of concern that could prevent him from ever being a complete player.

I must may say that I'm on the fence with this one due to Teague's potential but at this point I think I would pull the trigger. It makes us a better half court team and better defensive team, which is what we need for some 2nd round playoff wins. It also gives us a veteran All NBA defender with Championship expierence.

Edited by coachx