• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Al Horford -SI article

Joker

• Premium Member
"These teams realize how to be on top and the way to win," Horford said of the Celtics, as well as the Spurs, Heat, Mavericks and Jazz, all of whom have victimized the Hawks this season. "That's where we have to get to."

Been saying it since the '08 playoffs, when he fired the team up with that a Muhammad Ali video and his demeanor on the court. Al Horford is a winner. If you put his mind in Marvin Williams' body, you would have an All-NBA SF or an All-Star forward at the very least. Though I would package anybody on this team for the right player, Horf is the closest thing we have to untouchable IMO.

AL is a great prototype PF who is doing very well at the center position. I give the guy all the credit in the world when it comes down to toughness and leadership. His mid-range jumper is a real weapon and he can score inside against the smaller front lines in the league. Al has a little "hero" in him IMO...he's the guy you would want to shoot first in a battle, otherwise he could pull an Audie Murphy on you.

But in reality - when we go up against long teams with quality at 3-4-and especially 5 we are at a dissadvantage. We go 6-9 1/2 at center, 6-8 at PF and 6-9 (plays like 6-6) at SF.

Granted 6-9 1/2, 6-8 and 6-6 will put you right in the mix if you are trying to win in college...but it ain't generally gonna work against Boston or ORL. Obviously talent is very important...Iona probably has a 7 footer...but this isn't the Colonial League we're going up against.

For all the dumb stuff the Hawks have done over the years of mega-high draft pick fails...we actually are very close to being contenders. We have a serviceable backup center (Zaza) and a serviceable backup PG (Bibby). I would tend to think that C is our biggest worry since the Bibby/Teague tandem has shown up pretty well lately - still - PG is such a KEY position...I wouldn't trust them against the likes of Rondo, Nash, or CP3. Even guys like Felton, Jameer, T.J. Ford and D.J. Augustine can dominate at times against us.

Truth is - Woody finally talked BK into getting him a PG (Bibbs) and it changed everything for the better. Now - we seem to have missed out on the big "Blue Light" special on top level PGs that has been going on around the league.

I guess the real truth is - quality ownership/management get things done and realize that two VERY important positions on the team are C and PG and if they can't get it done through the draft after multiple high picks - they get it done via trade.

I'm not dissing the M. Bibby trade by any means - it was excellent. - we lost little and got a floor General. But trades like that have shelf-lifes...you can't trade for a guy like Bibbs (already a bit past his true prime at the time) and expect that you are golden for 6-8 years...you gotta keep replenishing. Acie didn't work out and Teague isn't ready for prime time right now...by "prime time" I mean going head to head against the top 15 PGs in the league. (JMHO) :kickcan:

(sorry about rambling)

• Like 1

• Premium Member

AL is a great prototype PF who is doing very well at the center position. I give the guy all the credit in the world when it comes down to toughness and leadership. His mid-range jumper is a real weapon and he can score inside against the smaller front lines in the league. Al has a little "hero" in him IMO...he's the guy you would want to shoot first in a battle, otherwise he could pull an Audie Murphy on you.

But in reality - when we go up against long teams with quality at 3-4-and especially 5 we are at a dissadvantage. We go 6-9 1/2 at center, 6-8 at PF and 6-9 (plays like 6-6) at SF.

Granted 6-9 1/2, 6-8 and 6-6 will put you right in the mix if you are trying to win in college...but it ain't generally gonna work against Boston or ORL. Obviously talent is very important...Iona probably has a 7 footer...but this isn't the Colonial League we're going up against.

For all the dumb stuff the Hawks have done over the years of mega-high draft pick fails...we actually are very close to being contenders. We have a serviceable backup center (Zaza) and a serviceable backup PG (Bibby). I would tend to think that C is our biggest worry since the Bibby/Teague tandem has shown up pretty well lately - still - PG is such a KEY position...I wouldn't trust them against the likes of Rondo, Nash, or CP3. Even guys like Felton, Jameer, T.J. Ford and D.J. Augustine can dominate at times against us.

Truth is - Woody finally talked BK into getting him a PG (Bibbs) and it changed everything for the better. Now - we seem to have missed out on the big "Blue Light" special on top level PGs that has been going on around the league.

I guess the real truth is - quality ownership/management get things done and realize that two VERY important positions on the team are C and PG and if they can't get it done through the draft after multiple high picks - they get it done via trade.

I'm not dissing the M. Bibby trade by any means - it was excellent. - we lost little and got a floor General. But trades like that have shelf-lifes...you can't trade for a guy like Bibbs (already a bit past his true prime at the time) and expect that you are golden for 6-8 years...you gotta keep replenishing. Acie didn't work out and Teague isn't ready for prime time right now...by "prime time" I mean going head to head against the top 15 PGs in the league. (JMHO) :kickcan:

(sorry about rambling)

Great post. Indeed, it's really impressive how much Al has done for this team while being forced to play out of position most nights.

Horf is the obvious choice for the leader of this team. Joe is too quiet and Josh is too dumb.

Marvin is too inconsistent and Bibby is too much of a joker. Al it is. They desperately need

a leader on this team and I wish Al would step up more and take that role 100%.

• Like 1

Al is still shooting 56% from 16-23 feet after shooting 48% in that area last season. That is just ridiculous. He was 5 for 6 on his jumpers against the Cats and they needed all of them.

Shooting that well from the perimeter opens the door to being a 20+ ppg player. He just needs to be more aggressive taking guys off the dribble and needs to use fakes inside which he rarely does.

He has clearly been the Hawks best player this year.

Nothing new. Al has been our rock since he's been here. No coincidence at all that we go on a long run of playoff appearances starting with his rookie campaign after languishing in the lottery with no leadership. Even at his young age, he realizes that there hasn't been anyone here (even coaches) who serve as a better spokesman for the team than him and you can tell he kinda expects everyone to follow his lead now. Rumble young man rumble.