• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Marvin is not being mature about benching, not seeing big picture

coachx

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=18270

There is much more to the article / link then what I pasted.

Hawks All-Star shooting guard Joe Johnson believed the surprise change to the starting lineup gave the team an added edge and was supportive of coach Drew's decision.

"It was coach's decision man," said Johnson in reference to Drew's choice to tweak the starting lineup. "If you look at the matchups, I thought it played in our hands pretty well with big (Jason) Collins guarding Dwight (Howard). But I mean Marvin is a key piece of what we're trying to do and I'm sure he understood it man with no hard feelings."

Well, not exactly.

When approached about being removed from the starting lineup, a role he's held since late 2006, Williams didn't hesitate to voice his displeasure from a competitive standpoint.

"No. I wasn't cool with it man," said Williams to HOOPSWORLD about being benched. "It was something different. I've been starting here since my second year here, but it was a choice he (Drew) felt like he had to make and I had to live with it. I don't know if he'll ever make that change again and I wouldn't be surprised if he did. But like I said, I've been a starter pretty much since I've been here but he chose to make that change and I have to live with it."

View Lang Greene Archive Guys in the NBA take pride in earning those starting spots so Williams' frustration shouldn't cause shockwaves. He handled the one game demotion as a true professional, but there's a potential dilemma brewing that Drew, a rookie head coach, must handle going forward.

Horford is an undersized center that has blossomed into a bona fide All-Star at the position. However, when given the chance to play his natural position of power forward, there's no denying that his productivity increases because he's able to utilize speed and strength advantages.

The Hawks extended Horford to a five-year $60 million deal on November 1 to avoid the risk of the emerging star becoming a restricted free agent next summer. With Horford being extremely vocal of his desire to play more at his natural position over the long term it hasn't been shocking in the least to see him paired alongside Collins or reserve center Zaza Pachulia on the floor much more frequently this season.

The bigger line up is 2-1 vs. The Magic. Marvin needs to swallow his ego and shut up.

Edited by coachx

• Premium Member

To be fair to Marvin he didn't say anything bad. Of course he wasn't happy about being benched. He's a pro that has been a starter for what four years now? Naturally he's not going to be happy about it. I didn't read anything in what he said that is immature heck even the article said he handled it like a professional.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Yeah. I think some people are reading a bit more into Marvin’s statements than is there. Also, it seems like Marvin just can't win with some people...

1. He said he didn’t like coming off the bench (who does?) but that he’d do whatever he needed to for the good of the team. Don't see what's wrong with that.
  2. Moreover, isn’t one of the main criticisms about Marvin that he is content to “disappear” and play a lesser role on the team? Haven’t we said before that we WANT him to stop being so complacent? Frankly, I’d be more worried if he WAS ok with being “demoted” to the bench, because that would indicate apathy.
  3. Marvin has played well the last couple games. He played very well in the game where he came off the bench, despite being unfamiliar with that role. Did he play any less hard when he came off the bench? In fact, hasn’t he seemed to play harder since that demotion became reality, even if for just one game? In terms of his actions on the floor (the only reality that matters for an NBA player), hasn’t Marvin done exactly what we would have wanted him to do in response to being benched?

THIS is why I wanted to bench Marvin. I was hoping that Woody would have done it a long time ago and I sincerely hope that LD does it again. If we can't move him, then the best thing we can do is light a fire under him.

LOL...and on the subject, yeah...Marvin's comments wreak of assholishness and entitlement. As a starter, and as a player that is MORE THAN CAPABLE physically, we need more out of him that that paltry 8-9 "ho-hum" points he gives us before disappearing.

• Like 1

Yeah. I think some people are reading a bit more into Marvin’s statements than is there. Also, it seems like Marvin just can't win with some people...

1. Moreover, isn’t one of the main criticisms about Marvin that he is content to “disappear” and play a lesser role on the team? Haven’t we said before that we WANT him to stop being so complacent? Frankly, I’d be more worried if he WAS ok with being “demoted” to the bench, because that would indicate apathy.
  2. Marvin has played well the last couple games. He played very well in the game where he came off the bench, despite being unfamiliar with that role. Did he play any less hard when he came off the bench? In fact, hasn’t he seemed to play harder since that demotion became reality, even if for just one game? In terms of his actions on the floor (the only reality that matters for an NBA player), hasn’t Marvin done exactly what we would have wanted him to do in response to being benched?

I couldn't agree with you more. This is the first time Marvin has said anything other than awee shucks. This is a good sign, and I don't think it's coincidence he has one of his better games against the Cavs. It's about time Marvin showed a little fire. Maybe losing his starting role was the match he needed, for losing minutes didn't seem to change his demeanor.

• Premium Member

To be fair to Marvin he didn't say anything bad. Of course he wasn't happy about being benched. He's a pro that has been a starter for what four years now? Naturally he's not going to be happy about it. I didn't read anything in what he said that is immature heck even the article said he handled it like a professional.

Typical. For years everybody said that Marvin was a "team player" and Crawford was a "selfish player". Well folks... Here's your data... you make the call.

[*]He said he didn’t like coming off the bench (who does?) but that he’d do whatever he needed to for the good of the team. Don't see what's wrong with that.

For starters, we're reading something different.

I didn't see where Marvin said he would do anything for the good of the team. He said " I'll have to live with it". That's totally different and that's the reason why there is people who are reacting the way they are towards Marvin's statement.

Let's be honest, Marvin's benching was long overdue. Now that he has been benched, he's complaining. Trade HIS *ss!!!

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I didn't see where Marvin said he would do anything for the good of the team. He said " I'll have to live with it". That's totally different and that's the reason why there is people who are reacting the way they are towards Marvin's statement.

Gee. Guess you missed this statement:

Said Williams, "You do what you have to do for the team."

Selective reading much?

Like I said, Marvin just can't win with some people...

Edited by niremetal

• Premium Member

Gee. Guess you missed this statement:

Selective reading much?

Like I said, Marvin just can't win with some people...

You're right. I did miss it because THIS... is the article that was quoted and that was the basis for the thread. You want to post up yesterday's article to retort what was printed today... How exactly does that work for you? It's not even the same reporter.

Nire, this is a very feeble attempt to once again protect Marvin Williams. Why? Had Crawford Bitched like this about havnig to play off the bench.. saying that he wasn't happy with it and that "he'll live with it." would you be this understanding? Had Smoove got benched and talked smack about how he deserved to be on the court, would you have said a word about it?... Yeah you would. However, Marvin starts talking and just like the rest of his pro career, you have fans making excuses for him. Marvin deserved to be benched long ago. The fact that he complains just shows that he's in his own world.

Edited by Diesel

I found it more interesting that Marvin didnt say "I had been playing well " he basically said he should start .....well because hes been starting ROFL.

This is why you bring in a quality sf and not JC2.

You take a Landry Fields or trade those picks for a young sf and send the message you better step your game up or you step to the bench permanently.

Some of our players straight live in a vacuum when it comes to whats going on around league .

If we wanna play and stay with the big boys we should start demanding excellence from everyone and get them out of ....Its atl I should be starting

"No. I wasn't cool with it man," said Williams to HOOPSWORLD about being benched.

MW messed up because it's about THE TEAM, not about him

his comments came off as selfish and entitled

OJ Mayo didn't say "it wasn't cool" when he lost his starting job. After Mayo lost his gig, his comments were all about helping the team..........and he's a much better player than MW and much more deserving of being a starter

• Like 1

"No. I wasn't cool with it man," said Williams to HOOPSWORLD about being benched.

MW messed up because it's about THE TEAM, not about him

his comments came off as selfish and entitled

OJ Mayo didn't say "it wasn't cool" when he lost his starting job. After Mayo lost his gig, his comments were all about helping the team..........and he's a much better player than MW and much more deserving of being a starter

Show me the difference.

“I don’t think anybody would be happy. I’m uncomfortable. But I’m a basketball player. I’m a professional. If it’s what’s best for the team, honestly, I’m definitely all for it. The team and winning are the priorities. I can put my feelings aside for what’s best for the team.”

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/26/lionel-hollins-sends-o-j-mayo-to-the-bench/

I'll provide you a difference. MW was handed the starting job for 5 years and deserved it possibly 1 to 1.5 of those years and MW signed a large contract. Mayo was drafted into a starting job (different than trading a player to make an opening) and seemingly deserved it from the start. It's a different thing to complain about not being the starter when after FIVE YEARS as the starter you don't deserve it. Frankly, it sounds to me like MW feels he's ENTITLED to starting. Perhaps that's what being given the starter's job 5 years ago taught MW's. He didn't have to DO anything. He was entitled to start.

Having said that, I really don't have any problem with MW getting angry. It's the most fire I've seen from him since he was drafted. It still sounds cry-baby-ish coming from him but with a little practice maybe he can become "Angry Marvin" with a chip on his shoulder. It could only mean better performance IMO.

W

The title is misleading.