• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Knick's Amare Stoudemire disses Hawks Al Horford

JTB

Atlanta Hawks: Amar’e Stoudemire promises ‘very, very intense’ game for post-fight rematch

3:15 pm February 15, 2011, by Michael Cunningham

New York–And so it begins.

It’s Round 3 of Hawks vs. Knicks at Madison Square Garden tomorrow, and of course the storyline in New York is focused on Atlanta’s 111-102 victory in Round 2 on Jan. 28. An intense game climaxed with Atlanta’s Marvin Williams coming to blows with Shawne Williams. Afterward, Amar’e Stoudemire called out Al Horford for his chest-pounding exhortations to Hawks fans at Philips Arena.

The league suspended Marvin for two games for his role in the fight, which he said happened after series of unspecified actions by the Knicks throughout the game. But Marvin downplayed the rematch.

“I am sure it is going to be intense,” he said. “But it’s in the past for me, and I’m sure it is for Shawne, too. It’s over; it’s done with. I am sure he feels the same way. It’s just another game.”

Shawne Williams, who got suspended for a game because of the altercation, also said he’s not bitter about the incident.

“I feel like we owe them guys from last game,” Williams told ESPN.com’s Chris Sheridan today at Knicks practice. “Ain’t nothing personal, like I said that day. We were competing in the heat of the moment and it got out of hand. There’s no hard feelings after. You play the game and you get caught up in the moment and things happen sometimes. It’s not like it’s premeditated or anything. Everything’s good.”

While those two might be ready to move on, Amar’e sounds as if he’s eager to face fellow All-Star Horford.

Amar’e missed New York’s victory over the Nets on Saturday with a toe injury but said he’s ready for the Hawks:

“It’s going to be a very, very intense game after what happened in Atlanta. He don’t want to see me. I watched him play in Florida, and I’ve seen him play a few years in Atlanta. We’ve got two different games, and we’ll see how it plays out tomorrow.”

It sounds as if Amar’e is suggesting he’s tougher than Al. That’s similar to his comments after the game last month: ““I don’t know what Horford’s thinking. He needs to calm down. He’s not that type of player. He doesn’t want to see me on any night, so he’d better relax and calm down.”

Horford later responded on Twitter, saying: “I am that kind of player, who does what he needs to win…”

After the Hawks beat the Pistons Tuesday, Al didn’t have much to add.

“A comment was made that I found out [about],” he said. “He’s a competitor, I am too. That’s all there is to that.”

In the aftermath of that tough victory against the Knicks, Hawks coach Larry Drew said that while he didn’t condone fighting, he thinks the Hawks could have bolstered their rep by not backing down “when you feel things got tough.”

What kind of game does he expect tomorrow at the Garden?

“Same thing,” he said, chuckling. “It won’t be any different. It’s going to be a very hard-fought basketball game. It’s going to be a physical game. We just have to go in there and do what we always try to do on the road and control the tempo.

“We won’t get caught up in a lot of the hype behind it. We’ve got a job to do. This is game we want want to get, especially before the All-Star break. We have to go in there like gangbusters.”

Michael Cunningham, Hawks beat

http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2011/02/15/atlanta-hawks-amare-stoudemire-promises-very-very-intense-game-for-post-fight-rematch/?cxntfid=blogs_hawks

LOL....sounds like Amare has some beef with Big Al! I hope Horford shows out all on Amare come tomorrow especially with Amare calling him soft!

Edited by JTB

Two things........................

1) I want this game.

2) I want Horford to captain this team...SOLO.

+1 /thread

Amare suggesting he's tough is funny. And I like the guy. He's a great player, but an intimidator he's not. Of course, I'm glad someone is hyping up a Hawks game. We need more of this. This is what gets people interested. Our guys should learn that 'flying under the radar' doesn't sell tickets.

I totally agree with this comment. We need hype like this, its the same thing boxers and mma fighters to to hype up their matches. Someone posted a question the other day about rivals, I think if this game is as intense as the last one, we may have a real rivalry on our hands, especially with all of the NY transplants in Atlanta.

Edited by CODHAWKSFAN

I guess i'm not the only one who thinks Amare is a fake tough guy..

He's a very talented aggressive offensive player, there's no doubt about that..

But when it comes to relying on him to grab that huge rebound or have a great defensive game that your teams really needs..

He falls short consistently, the kind of player that will come out and score you 35 in a playoff must win but end up with 4 boards while the guy he's checking gets 15...

He wants the spotlight but doesn't want to do the dirty stuff it takes at times to secure wins...Phoenix grew tired of this

Edited by HawkFoLife
  • Like 1

Amare is one of the softest players in the league, I'm sure he doesn't scare anyone on our team. This game could get out of hand, quickly. So hopefully the refs will be on top of things

Well he's still pretty big and strong...I sure wouldn't want to catch a wild punch from the guy.

That said, while there likely will be some cheap shots inside (pushes, elbows etc.) I hope it doesn't come down to anything serious.

Sheduling could help...since the All-star break is almost here I would expect most of the guys will want to play a good hard game, man-up to a degree, and get out of there intact.

Let's face it - these are millionaire basketball players...not club rugby players who have nothing much to lose :rolleyes: .

I REALLY hope our shooters get hot and we win this game.

• Premium Member

Can someone please tell me when did Stoudemire get his " big man that bangs" title? He must still thinks he's playing in the west.Last time i checked he couldnt handle josh" the stat-filler" smith, now he wants to take shoots at a two time national champ? Amare, your team is 0-2 against us.Worry about that toe and not Horford. Dont get me wrong, he's a great player, yes. But is he a physical player, no. Al" the dominican dominator" Horford will do his talking on the hardwood, like always. Can't wait to sink our talons into the knicks. GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Premium Member
I don’t know what Horford’s thinking. He needs to calm down. He’s not that type of player. He doesn’t want to see me on any night, so he’d better relax and calm down

Sorry but I'm with Amare on this one. Horford has to learn to control his emotions. Way too much chest thumping and hoping around. Such childish behavior was OK at Florida but doing it at the pro level makes him look like a complete goober.

Edited by NineOhTheRino
  • Like 1