• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks are shopping Marvin

pimp

I'm trying to figure out this statement, which I have heard several times lately on this forum. What are you talking about? He averaged closer to 20 PPG with NY and GS. If he was "regressing to his career norms" he would be scoring more, not less.

His Per36s or basically his per minute scoring has been the same throughout his career he just played more minutes back then which made his raw scoring average look higher. Last year was actually his best scoring year if you look at it because it was the firsT time he actually posted a 20ppg Per36. His career norms are actually around 17ppg which is what he's averaging this season and his efficiency which was god awful before his first year here is sliding back in that direction. Clearly that season was an outlier because he has not been able to live up to those standards and baring a monster last two months and playoffs by him I do not see a priorityin retaining an older player that has only one inconsistent dimension to his game at the price that he'll be asking.

• Moderators

Any of u guys that want to say Marvin's contract looked like an albatross when he signed it I challenge you to dig up a post u made when he signed it proving you were right at the time.

The "search" feature is pretty easy to use - I call bullsh*t

Even Diesel endorsed that signing. Had he continued playing like he did that last season it would have been fine and had he continued developing like he had every year up until then it would have looked good. Since he has regressed and generally been a minor role player, it looks ugly now.

As far as the relevancy of high school rankings, Deron Williams was rated #36 by Gibbons, #49 by Coleman and #56 by Telep. His teammate Bracey Wright was considered the better prospect (for example, Wright was ranked #12 by Gibbons). Brandon Roy had similar rankings that same year. There are plenty of guys who have gone from a lot lower than #11 to be a top prospect.

For example, the highest Blake Griffin was rated was #16.

I would not rule out any young player at #2 overall because they were ranked #11 in their class.

Getting rid of Marvin for any reason is a plus to the franchise and for moving from the worst draft selection this team has made in at least thirty years.

Really..?!?! The worst draft selection?

He's Better than Childress, Teague, Sheldon Williams, Acie Law, Pape Sy, solo..... and i could go on

• Like 3

I don't see how Marvin can play like a star behind Johnoson, Horford, Smith & Crawford. It's just impossible. There's no room for more scoring. Marvin still do more things for the team than Crawford does. I'll keep him over Crawford.

But if is to address a greater need i'll ship him out.

I'm 100% he can be swapped for Haywood or Mo Williams.

• Like 1

Yall talk about Marvin like he's Horrible...

He's a good defender and can make open shots....

if he wasnt taken so early in the draft would there be so much hate...?

Nope. But thats the point. He was. And to make things worse, we already had Childress and Smith, and were in desperate need of a young pg. I'm not saying he's as bad as Zaza, but the pick just didnt make any sense, considering we were starting T "dribble, dribble dribble" Lue and Anthony freakin Johnson at pg. And we had just drafted 2 sf's the previous year. That why the pick was so bad. At least we tried to address NEEDS when we picked Teague, Acie, and even Shellhead(rebounding, defense). We had no NEED for Marvin at the time. Unless they, for some unknown reason, saw superstar potential from a 6th man. lol! Edited by terrell

I would not rule out any young player at #2 overall because they were ranked #11 in their class.

Many players have overcome their HS rankings...They do so by becoming college STARTERS and STARS! MW was neither. His HS ranking only further CONFIRMED what his one year of college SHOULD have shown people. He didn't have IT! In short, you don't rule players out because of ANY ONE THING but ALL THINGS down to and including his HS ranking suggested he wasn't going to be worth the pick!

I actually was OK with MW's deal also. It hasn't turned out well. If we could get sessions cheap and address the center position with Crawford without going over the tax (i.e. a deal for Hawes and an expiring) then we don't need to trade MW. But if cannot, we possibly can save some money at the Sf position while not sacrificing production and therefore address our other needs. I'm not for trading MW to get a monkey of a pick off our backs. It must better us.

W

Edited by Walter

where he was drafted is history and a sunk cost

right here, right now, what is the best move for our team? who cares where he was drafted when trying to improve our future?

if we can get more for smoove/etc to get a good pg/c to pair with jj/horf then marv is fine at the 3 providing perimeter d, getting to the line and getting points when he gets touches without hogging the ball

if we can get something good for marvin/craw/bibby/etc to get a good pg/c to surround jj/smoove/horf, then fine, but it's unlikely we'll have as good of a team by trading marvin/craw/bibby/mo/teague/picks/etc than by trading smoove/craw/bibby/mo/teague/picks/etc

where marvin was drafted or how he didn't live up to his potential doesn't matter...what matters is what he can bring to the team vs what we get in trade and what smoove brings to the team vs what we get in trade

personally, i want more touches for horford, a pg that distributes and thus handles the ball more often than bibby; those mean we don't necessarily want a sf that needs to the ball a lot to be effective...we want someone that can defend, can score/get to the line when gets a few touches, etc...basically what marvin does

i'd rather upgrade pg than sf

Edited by Nicholasp27
  • Like 2

We all know and have talked about it ad nuaseum that the Hawks made a bad pick in selecting Marvin not because it was a reach (unlike Sheldon) but because we needed a PG and had wing players already on the roster....end of story....NOT HIS FAULT.

Am I disappointed that he hasn't produced more...sure...but a lot of that is a function of the offense, he has no plays run for him, there are too many other offensive weapons. Would I like him to be more aggressive...sur, but he is who he is.

I've realized that Marv will never live up to that #2 pick status, I've gotten way past that ...what I've wanted to see was for him to hit the shots that he got especially when wide open, play good defense, and rebound but unfortuantely it has been peeks and valleys.

I would not mind getting Haywood (wanted him last year), but he is in the first year of a 6yr/55mil deal and is 31 years old...and is averaging 17 minutes a game with 3.9 pts (not really concerned w/ offense numbers) and 4 rebounds (this is a concern)...Marv is averaging 5, just saying....People complain so much about Marv contract what will they say about Haywoods.

Mo has 2 years left on his contract at 8.5mil/per year..one year less that Marv, but then again Mo has been injured on and off all season.

Trading Marv only makes sense if it makes us considerably better and moving in the right direction.