GM Sund's comments sound as if we will stay put!

JTB

Latest article form AJC by Jeff, doesnt sound good!

http://blogs.ajc.com/jeff-schultz-blog/2011/02/20/hawks-sund-puts-onus-on-players-challenge-is-up-to-them/?cxntfid=blogs_jeff_schultz_blog

Let’s dispense of the whines first, because it’s impossible to debate the Hawks’ future without the obvious elephant in the locker room, or in this case the entire herd:

♦ They have a slow and inefficient starting point guard (Mike Bibby) who averages 9.6 points and 3.7 assists, which would be fine if this was a 40-and-over league or a YMCA in Springfield, Mass., in 1891.

♦ They have an occasionally dominating forward (Josh Smith) who sometimes forgets that there’s a whole world of possibilities inside the paint.

♦ They have another forward (Marvin Williams) who was the draft’s second pick but has proven to be little more than a $7 million-a-year rotational player (if that).

♦ They have a roster resilient enough to record the third-best road record in the Eastern Conference (17-12) but schizoid enough to lose home games by 23, 41 and 34 points.

Now let’s discuss reality.

Whether or not general manager Rick Sund makes a move to improve the team’s fortunes – and it’s significant that he’ll be traveling with the club on a five-game trip that opens the post-All Star stretch – the Hawks will win or lose with this bunch. The chances of Sund spinning any earth-shattering deal are directly proportional to Carmelo Anthony suddenly declaring, “I hate New York! I want to be a Hawk!”

This is your team.

Joe Johnson stayed. Smith stayed. Bibby stayed. Williams stayed. The only change of significance the Hawks made after being swept in the second round of the playoffs two straight years was to fire coach Mike Woodson. The message delivered: This is the core — let’s see where it takes us.

Time’s about up. If the Hawks don’t do something this season that makes us stop slapping our forehead, blow the sucker up.

Sund never has been one for public analysis during the season. He certainly doesn’t discuss trade possibilities.

But he did say this Sunday: “The next two months and our performance in the playoffs will indicate as to exactly what this team is. The challenge is up to them.”

And this: “We’ve put ourselves in position to do something, so let’s see where it goes. We have to do it collectively and with chemistry and coaching and all that.”

I think he just said: “Bob Pettit is not walking through that door.”

We can debate whether retaining this core for another season was right or wrong. But it’s significant that Sund is declaring it’s show-me time. The Hawks obviously aren’t as good as Boston or Miami. But they’ve shown at times they can be better than a second-round punchline. They won at Miami a few weeks ago without Al Horford (which is more significant than the Heat missing Chris Bosh). They’ve beaten every East team currently in a playoff position except Boston (0-2) and Chicago (whom they haven’t played). The Hawks are a combined 10-4 against Miami (1-1), Orlando (2-1), New York (2-1), Philadelphia (2-1) and Indiana (3-0).

Sund again: “I think our players feel like they can play with anybody. It’s the first time in the last two years I’ve sensed that.”

Yes, this team is flawed. The most fixable problem is point guard. Cleveland’s Ramon Sessions, the object of trade rumors, isn’t an All-Star or a great scorer. But he’s younger, faster and would be a significant upgrade to Bibby, Jeff Teague and Jamal Crawford (who is better as a scorer coming off the bench). Sessions is playing fewer minutes than Bibby but he’s averaging more points (12.3) and assists (5.3) and is better defensively.

Bibby’s three-year, $18 million extension in 2009 is looking like an albatross. He was far more effective in his contract year (15 points, 5 assists) than now (he ranks 40th overall and 25th among point guards at 3.7 assists per game). As a team, the Hawks have the second-fewest steals (5.9) and are forcing the second-fewest turnovers (12.7) per game. That stems at least in part from a lack of defense up top.

The trade deadline is Thursday. If Sund makes a change, it won’t be the equivalent of major reconstruction. More like a new couch and a couple of throw pillows.

This is your team — maybe for the last time.

wow well my gut feeling now has a sick feeling if we go into the playoffs with this core. I hate to say it but dont expect much of anything unless they really turn hot in this last 28 or so games.

Edited by JTB

• Premium Member

http://blogs.ajc.com/jeff-schultz-blog/2011/02/20/hawks-sund-puts-onus-on-players-challenge-is-up-to-them/?cxntfid=blogs_jeff_schultz_blog

Let’s dispense of the whines first, because it’s impossible to debate the Hawks’ future without the obvious elephant in the locker room, or in this case the entire herd:

♦ They have a slow and inefficient starting point guard (Mike Bibby) who averages 9.6 points and 3.7 assists, which would be fine if this was a 40-and-over league or a YMCA in Springfield, Mass., in 1891.

♦ They have an occasionally dominating forward (Josh Smith) who sometimes forgets that there’s a whole world of possibilities inside the paint.

♦ They have another forward (Marvin Williams) who was the draft’s second pick but has proven to be little more than a $7 million-a-year rotational player (if that).

♦ They have a roster resilient enough to record the third-best road record in the Eastern Conference (17-12) but schizoid enough to lose home games by 23, 41 and 34 points.

Whether or not general manager Rick Sund makes a move to improve the team’s fortunes – and it’s significant that he’ll be traveling with the club on a five-game trip that opens the post-All Star stretch – the Hawks will win or lose with this bunch. The chances of Sund spinning any earth-shattering deal are directly proportional to Carmelo Anthony suddenly declaring, “I hate New York! I want to be a Hawk!”

This is your team.

Joe Johnson stayed. Smith stayed. Bibby stayed. Williams stayed. The only change of significance the Hawks made after being swept in the second round of the playoffs two straight years was to fire coach Mike Woodson. The message delivered: This is the core — let’s see where it takes us.

Time’s about up. If the Hawks don’t do something this season that makes us stop slapping our forehead, blow the sucker up.

Sund never has been one for public analysis during the season. He certainly doesn’t discuss trade possibilities.

But he did say this Sunday: “The next two months and our performance in the playoffs will indicate as to exactly what this team is. The challenge is up to them.”

And this: “We’ve put ourselves in position to do something, so let’s see where it goes. We have to do it collectively and with chemistry and coaching and all that.”

We can debate whether retaining this core for another season was right or wrong. But it’s significant that Sund is declaring it’s show-me time. The Hawks obviously aren’t as good as Boston or Miami. But they’ve shown at times they can be better than a second-round punchline. They won at Miami a few weeks ago without Al Horford (which is more significant than the Heat missing Chris Bosh). They’ve beaten every East team currently in a playoff position except Boston (0-2) and Chicago (whom they haven’t played). The Hawks are a combined 10-4 against Miami (1-1), Orlando (2-1), New York (2-1), Philadelphia (2-1) and Indiana (3-0).

Sund again: “I think our players feel like they can play with anybody. It’s the first time in the last two years I’ve sensed that.”

Yes, this team is flawed. The most fixable problem is point guard. Cleveland’s Ramon Sessions, the object of trade rumors, isn’t an All-Star or a great scorer. But he’s younger, faster and would be a significant upgrade to Bibby, Jeff Teague and Jamal Crawford (who is better as a scorer coming off the bench). Sessions is playing fewer minutes than Bibby but he’s averaging more points (12.3) and assists (5.3) and is better defensively.

Bibby’s three-year, $18 million extension in 2009 is looking like an albatross. He was far more effective in his contract year (15 points, 5 assists) than now (he ranks 40th overall and 25th among point guards at 3.7 assists per game). As a team, the Hawks have the second-fewest steals (5.9) and are forcing the second-fewest turnovers (12.7) per game. That stems at least in part from a lack of defense up top.

The trade deadline is Thursday. If Sund makes a change, it won’t be the equivalent of major reconstruction. More like a new couch and a couple of throw pillows.

wow well my gut feeling now has a sick feeling if we go into the playoffs with this core. I hate to say it but dont expect much of anything unless they really turn hot in this last 28 or so games.

Sund is nothing more than a teleprompter for Gearon. Gearon doesnt have the money to be in this poker game. No trades are coming of any significance. This is why Phillips is empty all the time. Gearson thinks the fans are ignorant and dont know the game.

The Hawks have no chance against the Celtics, Heat, Majic, or Bulls. It is not because of the physical aspect, it is chemistry and basketball IQ that sinks this team in presuure situations. In addition Joe Johnson is not a superstar, he looked so tenative and lost out there last night. It was obvious to me he did not belong.

Edited by Vol4ever
  • Like 1

This is your team.

Once again this franchise proves it's self to be a big piece of s***. A joke league wide.

See where the roster takes us my but. We've heard this same crap for years and it never takes them any further. They have NO CHANCE IN HELL of accomplishing anything more than they have. NO CHANCE IN HELL.

• Like 4

Sund is a puppet right now. He wants to make a move and save his job but ASG wants to hit a HR(Melo or Nash) or go to 2012 with a new CBA with a chance that Sund will be rehired. I asked about Mayo/Thabeet, he said it didn't matter who it was, it was HR or bust. They weren't about to risk LT for something that could fail. Nash and Melo, worth the tax, anyone unproven or not a game-changer, not at all. Don't kill Sund, his hands were tied, this one is on ASG.

He said there were other names mention like HS favorite Billups but it was HR or 2012 CBA. I bet Sund wishes he never resigned Joe back but it wouldn't have matter because we had no money and no one respects the Hawks like they do the Falcons. That's why it's rare for players to take a discount here.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

Joe Johnson played well last night. The Hawks have a bad front office. I respect the team on the floor they show heart because they are undersized and don't really have the quality talent or depth to compete with the true elite,but they go out there and get humiliated every year in the playoffs. While Sund and the ASG hope for the biblical version of David and Goliath to show up in real life. What a joke

• Like 1

The Hawks have a bad front office....Sund and the ASG hope for the biblical version of David and Goliath to show up in real life. What a joke

When was the last time we saw a Hawks front office that didn't look entirely overmatched by its counterparts in the East? That's been the Hawks achilles' heel for well over 30 years. We could make an All-Star team of guys the Hawks' GMs, past and present has passed over. Wonder why Nique and the gang never got past the second round? Maybe it was because he didn't have guys like Larry Nance, Joe Dumars, or Rolando Blackmon riding shotgun with him instead of Jon Koncak and whatever washout Stan Kasten picked ahead of the guys just mentioned. Wonder why Steve Smith, Mookie, and Deke had to play 40+ minutes a night because their bench was so crappy? Maybe it was because Babs was too busy making millionaires out of jabronies like Adam Keefe and Doug Edwards. And we all know about how BK squandered THREE LOTTO draft picks; if Horford didn't fall into his lap, he would've had absolutely NOTHING to show for all of those 50-loss seasons we endured. And please, don't give me the 'well, other teams passed on star players, too' excuse because those other teams have banners hanging up in their buildings (well, except the Clippers but still).

The price of being a Hawks fan for all these years. We should get a medal or a key to the city for sticking around for so long...

Edited by Dejay

The Nique Hawks never got past the second round because they ran into a loaded Celtics team. They stood toe to toe with them and barely lost. They win that game 7 and they head to the Finals. That 87-88 team was awesome.

• Like 1

The Nique Hawks never got past the second round because they ran into a loaded Celtics team. They stood toe to toe with them and barely lost. They win that game 7 and they head to the Finals. That 87-88 team was awesome.

We all know that but let the national media tell the story and it's completely different. How many times have we heard about him not elevating his teammates the same way Bird, Magic, Isiah, or MJ did. Nevermind that those guys had better players around them to elevate...

• Premium Member

We should stand pat its the perfect time to evaluate the ENTIRE roster and determine how we are gonna proceed going forward . No need to make reactionary band aid type moves .

How can you say this when you know our PG is a defensive liability?

Even more, the league knows this too!

We should stand pat its the perfect time to evaluate the ENTIRE roster and determine how we are gonna proceed going forward . No need to make reactionary band aid type moves .

Haven't you seen enough???? Everybody knows where our wounds are, lets put some band aids, stitches aren't needed.

• Moderators

I'll note once again that the trading deadline will mark 25 consecutive seasons since an NBA team with Rick Sund at the GM helm has made an in-season trade (James Donaldson for Kurt Nimphius, November 1985) for a playoff-bound team that didn't involve a player forcing his team's hand.

People are free to feel disappointed. But they should not be surprised, WHEN nothing happens. I may be I may be wrong...

~lw3

• Like 1

I'll note once again that the trading deadline will mark 25 consecutive seasons since an NBA team with Rick Sund at the GM helm has made an in-season trade (James Donaldson for Kurt Nimphius, November 1985) for a playoff-bound team that didn't involve a player forcing his team's hand.

People are free to feel disappointed. But they should not be surprised, WHEN nothing happens. I may be I may be wrong...

~lw3

That's depressing. Meaning nothing is going to happen. It's sad but that's the south some fool screaming about tradition when tradition was extremely fool. :help wanted: