• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Things smarter than Josh Smith

MoBetta

• Premium Member

Aww we gotta Josh Smith sympathizer.

Im not the one thinking Im Ray Allen and Magic Johnson. Im not the one making a fool outta myself by throwing the ball of the backboard.

No. You're just the newbie trying to make a grand entrance into the ballroom but instead tripping over the threshold, drawing a sigh from everyone watching.

Your post was insulting and substance-free. Like someone said awhile ago in response to a post hyperbolically bashing JJ - I bet it felt good to write that, but it sucked to read even a portion of it.

Edited by niremetal
  • Like 2

A more accurate statement is Lamar Odom owns Josh. I don't know why, he just always has.

Nire's right though....that was a pretty sad attempt at comedy.

I challenge anyone making these "Josh...BBall IQ threads" to look at it this way. The next time you see one of those...see if you see Josh looking at the player (typically Mo Evans) he was passing to and see if he's got a look of disdain on his face. Or when you see someone miss a defensive assignment on a penetrator being funneled left or right. You'll see that same look. Go back to the 2nd quarter of the game tonight. You'll see a play where Crawford is trying to establish something on the right corner of the free throw line...he is doubled. Josh yells at him "no" and then tells him to reset it. There was a play on and instead of moving the ball as they were supposed to be...either Jamal blew past his pass point or whoever was in that corner with Jamal didn't rotate out. Josh called for the play to be reset. Then called for and got the ball...reset a new play on the left side of the floor (this was the play before the assist to Marvin for a dunk).

I can't count the number of times I've seen Josh try to lead/create with Mo like he does with Marvin or Al and Mo turns away from the pass. I see more of a transitional element to the team right now. There are players on the team "Al, Josh, Bibby, Marvin, Zaza" that are all trying to play the same way...push the ball up the floor, move the basketball...play to the teams athleticism, defensively trying to keep teams off the baseline etc. there are other players on the team who are stuck playing one on one or trying to feed off of Joe/Jamal misses/passes. Something has to give. There is a battle for the team going on right now for style of play. I see Joe as on the fence but not committed, Jamal not participating, Bibby unable to play to the level he wants. Collins is doing great work on the defensive end one on one but not fitting in otherwise.

This is what I believe is holding Teague and JC2 back. they're playing like they are still in college defensively and offensively they are not running the offense but instead are playing a lot of one on one.

Edited by thecampster
  • Like 1

I agree with everything you said campster and I'd like to add the pace we play at is waaay to slow and deliberate. For a team as undersized as we are, we really need to get out and run till exhaustion. There is no reason why Al & Josh shouldn't be getting all types of Alley Oop dunks and run out layups all game long. But as long as this particular brass has been together their content to lounge in this moderate paced jump shooting style of offense. We're never really going anywhere of note playing the way we play. Josh should be the one catching those Alley Oops not throwing them..we got chit backwards.

We need to completely develop a fast paced of game mindset.....it doesn't have to be Phoenix/Golden St. break neck speed style just get it going a bit. This team plays like they have size like the Lakers. This has to start from training camp...get a PG in here that will take control of this team and stop letting Josh rebound the ball and do whatever he wants with it and hold him accountable. Bibby Jamal and Joe allows him to control the ball far too much, he should be running ahead on breaks and trying to establish position in the lane early, getting offensive rebound put backs galore using his athleticism. Instead of being the trail leg.

And as mush as we get on Josh about shooting a lot of jumpers this whole team is guilty of that, if our shooters are off we are in trouble against anybody cause we don't have the mental toughness to say: OKay, let's stop shooting so many jumpers and penetrate to the basket so much until the refs have no choice but to call some fouls and then maybe we can get some open looks from outside. I've said this since last year....THIS TEAMS PACE OF PLAY IS A DETRIMENT TO IT'S ROSTER.

You always get the feeling the other teams is dictating how the game is going to be played with the Hawks, the really good teams play their style and pace no matter what and whether it works or not at least they're going at it the way they like. Even when the Hawks have leads in games i'm never really sure cause of the consistent inconsistency they play at. From game to game; winning a tough game against the Heat 1 night and then completely forgetting where the hoop is an getting blew out by 40 the next. It's also within the game where they can be completely destroying an opponent and then fall flat on their face the next quarter.

So 3 things:

1.Pace of Play

2. Effort

3. Focus

These are things that this core should be past by now, so what does that tell me??

Well I see it as this teams is at it's peak, a 2nd round knockout. It is what it is.

Edited by HawkFoLife

Yep HFL...and I would like to add to that - that we simply don't take advantage of our positives when it comes to matchups (like AL tonight).

I've said this tons of times and it's a football analogy - coaches say "if they can't stop the run, we will run the ball all day"...and then they don't.

They go back to their comfortable play calling sheet and try a pass, get sacked, then pass again and get intercepted...then they are behind and HAVE to pass...then they lose the game and everybody wonders "why did they go away from the run"?

Well it's because their coach is stupid. :kickcan:

• Premium Member

I think that there are some truths in this.

First Josh does make a lot of dumb mistakes. I don't even say most of them are mistakes, I think he purposely does stuff. But here's what I see...

1. Josh plays the same position as Horf.

2. Josh makes dumb decisions.

3. Josh is hard on coaches.

4. Josh has a lot of trade value.

5. Josh could be an allstar but his dumb mistakes usually get in the way ( that's all media sees).

After a while of going through the same s--- different day with Josh, Fans get tired. Sure, he's very talented, but can he learn? Can he be who the team needs him to be? Thus far he has perfected his Josh vs. the World spin on things and he shows his heart anytime he does something he is not supposed to do and it works. However, is that really being the guy the team needs him to be?

ASG sees marketing with Josh.

Drew sees potential and talent with Josh.

The fans sees greater possibilities with Josh.

However, the reality is... he could be the first player moved out if we do break this team up in the offseason.

No. You're just the newbie trying to make a grand entrance into the ballroom but instead tripping over the threshold, drawing a sigh from everyone watching.

Your post was insulting and substance-free. Like someone said awhile ago in response to a post hyperbolically bashing JJ - I bet it felt good to write that, but it sucked to read even a portion of it.

I disagree. Just because he doesn't have 8000 posts doesn't make his opinion any less significant than mine.

At what point do you start blaming someone other than coaches for Josh Smith acting like a jackass?

• Like 1