• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Would a First Round Victory Forgive the Season?

JackB1

• Moderators

If we beat Orlando in the playoffs and are competitive but lose in the second round, that would leave me feeling better about the team than I felt after last season was over.

A first round victory this season will mean a ton more than last season's 7 game debacle against a historically weak Buck's team.

Not everything would be forgiven but it would go a long way.

• Like 4

• Premium Member

just wondering........if the Hawks somehow get out of the first round, would all be forgiven?

I know it sounds crazy, but one thing this team is........UNPREDICTABLE!!!

Actually, I think it would depend on opponent and showing in the second round. For anybody who says that this first round is going to be comparable to last years or the year before is smoking the good stuff. Everybody has improved. It seems that we have taken a step back. IF we get a vic over either Orlando or Miami, I think that's a big deal for our guys. But basketball is a game of matchups. I think we can hold a match up advantage over either of those teams (in a strange way)... but if we show up in the second round.. then I think we're talking forgiveness. Still I would like to see us get a more vet coach.

• Premium Member

Funny how we're talking about IF we can get out of the 1st round now. We came into the season wondering if we could get out of the 2nd...

To answer the question IMO, no.

Anything but a competitive loss, 6 or 7 games that could go either way, in the 2nd round should be considered a failure. We've kept this same core together forever, now we have a real PG, and can play that "perimeter defense" people were crying about the last two seasons. What's the problem? We've done nothing but add talent to the team. Perhaps we'll jump up and down about coaching and a big man too until the reality slaps us in the face.

HOPEFULLY...we'll realize sooner than later that some serious change is needed.

If we beat Orlando in the playoffs and are competitive but lose in the second round, that would leave me feeling better about the team than I felt after last season was over.

A first round victory this season will mean a ton more than last season's 7 game debacle against a historically weak Buck's team.

Not everything would be forgiven but it would go a long way.

This.

If we can somehow manage to handle Orlando, and at least make the 2nd round competitive, i'll feel ALOT better about the failure that is the 2nd half of this season.

Gosh, this is a problem. We win our first round series and are competitive in the 2nd then this means few changes for the club.

I think I would have to evaluate the team after the playoffs to really see how I feel.

Right now, I want this thing blown to hell and start from the ground up again.

• Like 1

I would say yes and a 2nd round 7 game series (one that ends up on ESPN classic :dancer: ). First we would be playing a much tougher opponent without home court advantage and no one will give us a chance to win the series. It would be like the year we played Boston when everyone said we would get swept and took them to 7.

just wondering........if the Hawks somehow get out of the first round, would all be forgiven?

I know it sounds crazy, but one thing this team is........UNPREDICTABLE!!!

Gotta love hope, but it's sad when what you're hoping for is to make it out of the first round. That was cool when it was against the Boston juggernaut, we were a rag-tag bunch of upstarts, Zaza was barking down Garnett, and JJ was imitating MJ. But coming off a 3rd seed and believing we had at least an outside shot at the conference finals, it's pretty sad that it's come to hoping for miracles.

I became a season ticket holder for the first time this season thinking that a repeat of last year would be the worst that we would do. You are asking me if I would be happy with what I consider the worst that we could do...... I have to give a strong no. Anything other than superseding last years performance would be considered sub-par by me and a disappointment in becoming a season ticket holder.

• Like 1

Gotta love hope, but it's sad when what you're hoping for is to make it out of the first round. That was cool when it was against the Boston juggernaut, we were a rag-tag bunch of upstarts, Zaza was barking down Garnett, and JJ was imitating MJ. But coming off a 3rd seed and believing we had at least an outside shot at the conference finals, it's pretty sad that it's come to hoping for miracles.

Well you have to first understand who we are up against, not just the fact that its the FIRST ROUND. Our first round opponent this year will not be the Bucks or Wade and a bunch of scrubs, we will be facing top quality teams in the Magic or Miami in the first round this year so yes getting out of the first round will be an even tougher task for us and will be an accomplishment if we can pull it off.

Man I hope this team is playing possum. :helpsmilie:

Edited by CODHAWKSFAN

• Premium Member

If we beat Orlando/Miami/Boston (it really could be any of the three) in the first round, I will be pleasantly shocked. Whether my shock will be enough to wipe out the pathetic second half of the regular season? I don't know. It probably depends on how we win.

But as far as the yardstick of playoff "success," I think looking at it by round is the wrong way to go about it. The way I see it, we didn't win a game against a good team in last year's playoffs. The first round series against the Bucks should have been a sweep, especially given their injuries. We didn't even show up against Orlando - the only actually good team we faced. If we show up against a good team in the playoffs, I consider that an improvement. So honestly, I think that even winning 2-3 games against Orlando/Mia/Bos in the first round this year would be an improvement on last year's playoff performance, even if we technically didn't make it out of the first round. If we win in the first round against Orl/Mia/Bos? That would absolutely be an improvement. But an improvement over Woody and last year's listless performance doesn't take much, so I can't say that would get me feeling good about LD or this core again.

Edited by niremetal
  • Like 1

Initially I said yes, but I've changed my mind. If we get out of the 1st round and no further, then all it would mean is for next season we might have the same "core" and LD.....No Thanks.