• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

J-Smoove needs a Coach, not a trade!

y2kenta

I make jokes about this from time to time in the chatroom, but I am half serious when I say Josh needs to take his Ritalin. If he would focus the entire game, stop complaining and backed off the long 2s then I would be perfectly happy with Josh. But he doesn't focus for more than 2 minutes at a time. I am far from being able to ever diagnose ADD, but thats exactly what I would say Josh has. Oh and Jamal as well when it comes to defense.

Joshs problem is he is a tweener and his best asset is he knows it. The right coach may be able to help him but not a Sloan or Doc Rivers who expect defensive and offensive assignments to be followed. More like a DAntonio who would let Josh jack threes and roam around on D blocking shots all night long.

Josh is a hybrid and will never excel in a traditional lineup. In fact, in a traditional lineup he would be better suited as a sixth man. No coach or player can fix size, they can only utilize a players strengths. We keep hoping for a breakthrough with Josh and what most are missing is he has already broken through. 7 years in the league, 25 years old, he is at or near his peak. Expecting anything more is wishful thinking. Jeff Teague has a better chance of consistently improving year in and year out now than Josh Smith does.

Do you honestly think Josh will ever be able to take any of the real power forwards to school on the low block? If you do, we have not been watching the same Josh Smith for the last seven years. He is not capable of doing that. He knows it and his coaches know it. Doc nor Sloan or anyone can fix that. He chucks threes for the same reason he is a good help defender, it is exactly what he is capable of doing offensively and defensively. Expecting more is unrealistic, and after seven years you would think everyone here would know that by now.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 1

Dies smoove is not gonna change. He honestly thinks that he is helping the team when he is out there shooting jumpers. I've wanted him gone ever since drew started giving smith his way. You can see it in horfs and joes body language that they are tired of this guy jacking up bad jumpers instead of playing around the rim.

Good post. You heard it in Joe's interview after the Bulls game when he said:

"Everybody on this team knows their role. Everybody on this team knows what we have to do to win. But, yet and still we don't come out and do it. We're a team that sits in this lockeroom all the time and talks about what we got to do. What we need to do. Then go out on the floor, and do things out of our character. Things that's not within ourselves. And it makes us all look bad. UNTIL WE GET THAT PART OF THE GAME DOWN, WE WILL CONTINUE TO LOOK BAD. Like I said, we all know what to do on the court. We all know what to do on the court to make us a better team. We have had countless meetings throughout the season that have meant NOTHING."

So I don't konw what to say about it " If these meetings have taken place, and Smoove's teammates have talked to him about his issue with taking ill-advised jumpers and he is ignoring them, then he should be traded. I hope he buys in at some point, but what we see now certainly isn't promising

Not to mention that:

1. When you consider their careers instead of this 1 injury-affected season, JJ has historically been 1 gazillion times better a 3 point shooter than Smoove;
  2. As in past years, the vast majority of JJ's outside shots have been contested, whereas nearly all of Josh's are wide open because teams want him taking those shots;
  3. You expect your SG to take most of his touches from the perimeter, whereas you expect your PF to get most of his touches closer to the basket - which means the downstream effects on Josh's perimeter shots (esp offensive rebounding and spacing) are much more significant and damaging; and
  4. Since the New Year (ie since JJ mostly recovered from his injury), JJ has been shooting significantly better than Josh from 3 (.338 to .272).

I agree. He has to play more inside.

shotchart.jpg

There is absolutely no way he should be taking as many jumpers from 16-23ft as Joe. His shot has improved vastly but shooting 39% when you are wiiiiiide open isn't good. I like what Smoove brings to the table when he decides to bring it. He averages the same number of shots in the paint as Joe and takes more long two pointers. That shouldn't be the case. I just hope by some miracle he wakes up when day and it just clicks.

Edited by 99PROBL3MS
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Josh was moving in the right direction last year. He cut out the 3's and performed with a good .505 efg% his career high the prior season at .508 efg% (he is down to .500 efg% this season despite shooting much better from the perimeter and the line because the shot selection is just that much worse). As other have said, it isn't just the drop in scoring efficiency resulting from those shots but the time he isn't near the basket that is a problem.

If Josh could have continued to move closer to the basket this year, I would have applauded Drew for that. Instead, Drew deserves a nice kick in the rear for letting Josh hang around the perimeter like this.

Now Josh is accountable for this as well, but Woody ingrained some bad habits in the early years and Drew has been feeding candy to a diabetic off his insulin.

If Josh could have continued to move closer to the basket this year, I would have applauded Drew for that. Instead, Drew deserves a nice kick in the rear for letting Josh hang around the perimeter like this.

Which is worse because he promised to get him away from the 3 point line and now Josh lives out there.

I agree. Why would anyone want to trade Smoove? He is the most talented player on our team and one of the most talented players in the league. He needs proper mentoring. He's always had an above average or average coach. Imagine how he woudl excel under Phil Jackson or Doc Rivers. The possibilites are endless. He is a fanatstic athelete just needs mentoring.

• Premium Member

I agree. Why would anyone want to trade Smoove? He is the most talented player on our team and one of the most talented players in the league. He needs proper mentoring. He's always had an above average or average coach. Imagine how he woudl excel under Phil Jackson or Doc Rivers. The possibilites are endless. He is a fanatstic athelete just needs mentoring.

Why do people keep saying this? I'm still waiting for someone to cite me examples of...

1) players 5+ years into their career (Smoove is wrapping up his 7th); and

2) players who were so in love with the weaknesses in their game (like Smoove is with his jumper and ability to run the break)

...that Phil, Doc, Rudy T, Pop, or any other elite-level NBA coach "molded" into a vastly improved player.

Those guys don't take fantastic athletes and turn them into fantastic basketball players. They take fantastic basketball players and get those fantastic basketball players to work together. Right now, I'd say Josh is a fantastic athlete but only a "quite good" basketball player (and once his athleticism wanes, that'll go down in a hurry). At this stage in his career, I just don't see the basis for arguing that we're likely to see much more improvement from him.

Edited by niremetal

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Yawn......how long do we have to endure hearing this? "All he needs is this.......all he needs is that".......Josh cannot change the most important thing and that's what's between his ears. A coach cannot come out on the court with you and tell you how to play. No player should need to be "forced" to play to their talents.

To become a better team. :banghead: I am not on the trade Smoove or any player we have at all cost bandwagon, but it should be apparent to anyone who follows this team that, with our current makeup, becoming at least a conference finalist is not very likely.

I would like to see that one day; so yea trade anyone on our team if it makes us better. I hope this answers your question. I am of the school that there is no such thing as a stupid question but even with that being said, I am still having a hard time figuring out why this one was asked.

Edited by Buzzard

I'm assuming this was said to make a point because looks to me like Josh is already doing all that. He is out shooting JJ from 3. It is pretty interesting that very few fans have any confidence in Josh shooting 3s but we are fine with Joe shooting them, with less success.

It doesn't matter if Josh was making all 3's he shoots, He should not be near the 3pt line in the first place to even attempt a 3. Josh is not a SG/SF.

We already have Al, Joe, Marvin who over their careers are better outside shooters. Is our entire team just going to stand on the 3pt line chucking long jumpers?

We need Josh to take up the lack near the basket because we do not have a legit center, We have to many 6'7+ players hanging out on the perimeter as is we don't need one that isn't good at it and is actually a great rebounder outside there as well.

• Premium Member

When do Josh Smith's chances run out????

Not only is this a great question about Josh, it's a great question about the team. When do we stop trying to tweak a broken core? I can't think of another team that has had as much failure, to the level we've had it - we're talking HISTORIC failure...TWICE in the last 2 seasons - that continues to roll out the same configuration year after year, game after game. When do the chances and excuses stop? It's laughable really... There are people that want to bring Mike Woodson back. lol Give him some more chances...after all those years.

A smart front office would realize the real problem with this team. Individually, we have some very attractive pieces. They're not fitting together and the results, the ones that count anyway, have been nothing short of miserable. So here's an idea...if we get swept/beaten in the 1st round - let's bring this entire team back with another coach.

This is why we can never become relevant. Any other winning team in the NBA would have overhauled this team 2 seasons ago.

• Premium Member

When people are gonna realize that al horford and josh smith backcourt isnt working. W

Yeah, I would say. Josh can't dribble and Horf is no good from 3... Nor can Horf Dribble and Al No good from three. That's a backcourt that no team would want!!!

:thankyou:

I kid!!

They are a short frontcourt. However, if we had a good C off the bench... it could probably work. I want to see what Armstrong is.

• Premium Member

Joshs problem is he is a tweener and his best asset is he knows it. The right coach may be able to help him but not a Sloan or Doc Rivers who expect defensive and offensive assignments to be followed. More like a DAntonio who would let Josh jack threes and roam around on D blocking shots all night long.

Josh is a hybrid and will never excel in a traditional lineup. In fact, in a traditional lineup he would be better suited as a sixth man. No coach or player can fix size, they can only utilize a players strengths. We keep hoping for a breakthrough with Josh and what most are missing is he has already broken through. 7 years in the league, 25 years old, he is at or near his peak. Expecting anything more is wishful thinking. Jeff Teague has a better chance of consistently improving year in and year out now than Josh Smith does.

Do you honestly think Josh will ever be able to take any of the real power forwards to school on the low block? If you do, we have not been watching the same Josh Smith for the last seven years. He is not capable of doing that. He knows it and his coaches know it. Doc nor Sloan or anyone can fix that. He chucks threes for the same reason he is a good help defender, it is exactly what he is capable of doing offensively and defensively. Expecting more is unrealistic, and after seven years you would think everyone here would know that by now.

I have to agree then disagree.

I think Josh is a tweener. I think, however, that he prefers to play outside because he has a touch of punk-b*tch in him. Moreover, he has had his way for a long time. I'm talking grade school. Josh is indicative of his generation. Kids have been made to believe that they are more special than they are. Josh comes from a basketball playing family... none pro, but could have been. He suffered from the same problem that made them not pro material. Stubbornness. Add to that the sense of entitlement and you have Josh who does what he wants and makes life hard on a coach. The way to treat Josh is to break him. That's what Doc and Sloan would do. It's like the 6 million dollar man. We can remake him. But instead of Better, Stronger, Faster, we would want to remake him smarter. That means that every time he doesn't follow direction, bench him. He needs a boundary.. not somebody to tell him to do what he does and play good shot blocking defense. That's enabling him. Josh has the ability to raise a team or to kill a team. We have seen both.