• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

J-Smoove needs a Coach, not a trade!

y2kenta

• Premium Member

I thought Josh handpicked the coach he has now.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

• Moderators

I thought Josh hand picked the coach he has now.

Josh doesn't need an enabler. That is what he has in LD - a guy who will chew out low profile Zaza (who shoots 66% of his shots inside) and leave Josh alone to heave (only 36% of his shots have been inside this season).

• Like 1

A real coach. A well-respected coach that commands the focus, effort, and accountability of the entire locker room

If he doesn't have the focus, etc. after seven years in the league, why would anyone assume that someone could coach him into being a better player? His athletic ability is arguably better than Nique, but he does not have the internal drive to succeed on a consistent basis. After seven years in the league, Nique was always among the leading scorers, and his teams were consistent 50+ game winners. When Nique came into the league, he didn't have a jump shot, but he made himself develop one, and he could be counted on at the end of a game, when a clutch basket was needed.

We don't necessarily need Smith to score like Wilkins, but he ought to be able to motivate himself to be the best player he can be on a consistent basis.

I absolutely think that Drew needs to go, but I'm not sure that even the best coach can instill in him what needs to come from within.

• Like 2

Josh needs to stay away from the damn perimeter, if he has not figured that out by now no coach will help him. I do not care if he hits every jumper and 3pointer he takes, he is not a SG he is a PF and when a team like us does not have a legit center having your starting PF hanging out on the 3 point line all night kills your gameplan.

Edited by swanlee
  • Like 1

Too late. He needed coaches who would teach him fundamentals and humility when he was 18-22. The ship has sailed. You can't just learn good habits overnight. All a decent coach would do to him now is clash with #5's massive ego.

I doubt its too late at age 25! We've seen plenty of great coaches mold "loosely-focused" players into better players and even champions in some instances.

He has some flaws, but he also has tons of good intangibles and abilities that few players in this league have. His focus on his strengths seems to be the main problem. Because we all saw last year how much more efficient he was offensively without the large amount of long jumpers. I know a respectable coach would get Josh to play to his strengths more and take him to another level. He's not the worst player or the biggest head case in the league.

We all know how the greats like Phil Jackson, Pat Riley, Larry Brown, Don Nelson and others did wonders with many players.

But also coaches like Bryon Scott, Mike Brown has helped the careers of a few players and showed the ability to handle egos and command respect.

Hell, Avery Johnson arguably made Dirk Nowitzki stronger inside and defensively = Dirk became MVP.

• Premium Member

I doubt its too late at age 25! We've seen plenty of great coaches mold "loosely-focused" players into better players and even champions in some instances.

He has some flaws, but he also has tons of good intangibles and abilities that few players in this league have. His focus on his strengths seems to be the main problem. Because we all saw last year how much more efficient he was offensively without the large amount of long jumpers. I know a respectable coach would get Josh to play to his strengths more and take him to another level. He's not the worst player or the biggest head case in the league.

We all know how the greats like Phil Jackson, Pat Riley, Larry Brown, Don Nelson and others did wonders with many players.

But also coaches like Bryon Scott, Mike Brown has helped the careers of a few players and showed the ability to handle egos and command respect.

Hell, Avery Johnson arguably made Dirk Nowitzki stronger inside and defensively = Dirk became MVP.

Who exactly did Phil, Pat, Larry, and Don do wonders with for a player at the stage Josh is in his career? Dirk had made 4 straight All-Star games in the West and 5 straight All-NBA teams - including an All-NBA First Team - when Avery took over.

Tough to argue that Josh's intangibles are a net positive given that despite being one of the most naturally gifted players in the NBA, he has never sniffed an All-Star game.

This is his seventh year in the league. The fact that he came in straight from high school and is only 25 doesn't matter at this point in his career, unless someone can name me a high school player that took 7 years to make the leap from "very good" to "perennial All-Star." The closest I know of is Jermaine O'Neal, but even he made an All-Star team in his 6th year (Josh now can do it no sooner than his 8th) and the only reason he didn't make it sooner is because he spent his first four years on the bench of the team with deepest frontcourt in NBA history (3 borderline-HOF quality players in front of him in Sabonis, Sheed, and Schrempf, and another solid player in Brian Grant).

Josh has not only been in the league 7 years, but he's been starting since day 1. The reason he doesn't focus on his strengths isn't because of his coaches. He's a grown man. He doesn't focus on his strengths because he doesn't want to. He'd rather try to prove all his doubters wrong about his jumper and his handles.

Seven years. What you see is what you get.

Edited by niremetal
  • Like 2

• Moderators

Until Josh can give us at least 16/9, lead the team in steals and blocks, average 3-4 assists per game, shoot 3s better than Joe and Marvin, and get his FT%up above 70% I say send him packing. If he could do all this i'd say he's a pretty damn good player.

• Premium Member

Too late. He needed coaches who would teach him fundamentals and humility when he was 18-22. The ship has sailed. You can't just learn good habits overnight. All a decent coach would do to him now is clash with #5's massive ego.

I would say that it's not too late....but....Smoove would have to be broken. I don't know if Smoove could take the breaking process. Somebody was right, Smoove has been surrounded by enablers since birth. He has always been tenacious enough to get his way. He wears down coaches until they give in. What Smoove needs is somebody who is just as stubborn and tenacious about Smoove playing the right way. You allude to college. In College, coaches do that because players have the motivation of wanting to go pro. Smoove Motivation will be a FAcy Splash and not a flop. This is the perfect time to bring in that stubborn coach who will bench Smoove every time he approaches a three point shot. If you get that, Smoove will correct himself. Know FA to be wants 2 seasons of DNP.. DNP and Mo Evans like returns before they go FA. Especially not one as young as Smoove. Get that coach and say " I value great team play more than individual player marketing" and somebody would change Smoove. I'm hoping Doc is our man.

Who exactly did Phil, Pat, Larry, and Don do wonders with for a player at the stage Josh is in his career? Dirk had made 4 straight All-Star games in the West and 5 straight All-NBA teams - including an All-NBA First Team - when Avery took over.

Tough to argue that Josh's intangibles are a net positive given that despite being one of the most naturally gifted players in the NBA, he has never sniffed an All-Star game.

This is his seventh year in the league. The fact that he came in straight from high school and is only 25 doesn't matter at this point in his career, unless someone can name me a high school player that took 7 years to make the leap from "very good" to "perennial All-Star." The closest I know of is Jermaine O'Neal, but even he made an All-Star team in his 6th year (Josh now can do it no sooner than his 8th) and the only reason he didn't make it sooner is because he spent his first four years on the bench of the team with deepest frontcourt in NBA history (3 borderline-HOF quality players in front of him in Sabonis, Sheed, and Schrempf, and another solid player in Brian Grant).

Josh has not only been in the league 7 years, but he's been starting since day 1. The reason he doesn't focus on his strengths isn't because of his coaches. He's a grown man. He doesn't focus on his strengths because he doesn't want to. He'd rather try to prove all his doubters wrong about his jumper and his handles.

Seven years. What you see is what you get.

I got a few.

LB and Rasheed Wallace. (Rasheed was actually much older).

Mike Fratello and Shawn Kemp.

I guess Rodman is too easy.

Until Josh can give us at least 16/9, lead the team in steals and blocks, average 3-4 assists per game, shoot 3s better than Joe and Marvin, and get his FT%up above 70% I say send him packing. If he could do all this i'd say he's a pretty damn good player.

It's not even about doing all that... Just stop doing boneheaded stuff.

Dies smoove is not gonna change. He honestly thinks that he is helping the team when he is out there shooting jumpers. I've wanted him gone ever since drew started giving smith his way. You can see it in horfs and joes body language that they are tired of this guy jacking up bad jumpers instead of playing around the rim.

Smoove needs a nice *ss whippin.

I think he is above the team. This fool has all the talent in the world and wants to be a shooting guard. Listen Smoove you are not Lebron James. Stay inside and dominate and stop trying to live out some crazy dream.

He needs to go to while he has some value to him. Trade him, Bench him but you have to do something and not let this crap continue. If i was larry drew i would play who wants to listen and win and if i get fired im getting fired coaching how i want to.

I hate to say it but Larry Drew is a punk. Straight up. He scared to let the players know who the alpha dog is.

I'm assuming this was said to make a point because looks to me like Josh is already doing all that. He is out shooting JJ from 3. It is pretty interesting that very few fans have any confidence in Josh shooting 3s but we are fine with Joe shooting them, with less success.

• Premium Member

Dies smoove is not gonna change. He honestly thinks that he is helping the team when he is out there shooting jumpers. I've wanted him gone ever since drew started giving smith his way. You can see it in horfs and joes body language that they are tired of this guy jacking up bad jumpers instead of playing around the rim.

I don't disagree with the statement that he believes that he is helping the team. What I'm saying is that it's a stubbornness and not a misconception issue. He is like any child who has had his way most of the time. He has to be broken. The mistake of hiring LD is that LD could not create new boundaries. However, if Doc Rivers is hired, he has the respect and the know how to set up those new boundaries. Eventually, Smoove would get tired of seeing Josh Powell Playing 30 mpg and Doc telling reporters that we're not entertaining any trades of Josh Smith. Think about that. If you put Smoove into a sitution where he has to give in to get what he wants, he will adapt and give in. The problem is that the young, pressured coaches have been too scared to take Josh off the floor. Doc Rivers... 5 yrs, 40 Million to be new HC/GM...

When people are gonna realize that al horford and josh smith backcourt isnt working. We are too small. We can't compete against elite teams with that frontcourt. 1 of them has to go and most people agree he should be josh smith.

I really believe if horford is permanently moved to the PF position and we run our offense through or atleast our 2nd scoring option he would be a 20-10 guy

Edited by yungsta

I'm assuming this was said to make a point because looks to me like Josh is already doing all that. He is out shooting JJ from 3. It is pretty interesting that very few fans have any confidence in Josh shooting 3s but we are fine with Joe shooting them, with less success.

If you take into account history, your post becomes silly. JJ started the year injured, had surgury, came back very early and has been playing through an injury. It's affecting his shot. Even if Smoove's shot has improved a little, he belongs inside. He's sooooooo much more valuable at the 4 than the 3. Hawks need him at the 4 playing like a 4.

• Premium Member

If you take into account history, your post becomes silly. JJ started the year injured, had surgury, came back very early and has been playing through an injury. It's affecting his shot. Even if Smoove's shot has improved a little, he belongs inside. He's sooooooo much more valuable at the 4 than the 3. Hawks need him at the 4 playing like a 4.

Not to mention that:

1. When you consider their careers instead of this 1 injury-affected season, JJ has historically been 1 gazillion times better a 3 point shooter than Smoove;
  2. As in past years, the vast majority of JJ's outside shots have been contested, whereas nearly all of Josh's are wide open because teams want him taking those shots;
  3. You expect your SG to take most of his touches from the perimeter, whereas you expect your PF to get most of his touches closer to the basket - which means the downstream effects on Josh's perimeter shots (esp offensive rebounding and spacing) are much more significant and damaging; and
  4. Since the New Year (ie since JJ mostly recovered from his injury), JJ has been shooting significantly better than Josh from 3 (.338 to .272).

Edited by niremetal
  • Like 1