• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Could we trade Joe Johnson?

DJlaysitup

Seriously...while everybody has made such a big deal about JJ getting the highest F/A contract...he isn't the highest paid player in the league. If new ownership came in and looked at our team and looked at the ages of our primary players and wanted to add a young big like Bynum and ride the train from the middle to the top (unlike BK's cellar to the 2nd floor approach) - would there be adequate interest in JJ ? ...I mean enough interest to get a real quality young player in return.

I'm not totally fed up with JJ by any means. He is a good/borderline great player (in today's NBA)...but he brings no enthusiasm for the game. He comes across as a highly paid wage earner with a half-assed job.

The other day Steak Shapiro was interviewing an ex-NBA player and he asked him if JJ was a leader. The guy (forget his name) said that even if JJ isn't a Rah Rah team guy - as the highest paid player on the Hawks team one would think he could at least FAKE some enthusiasm. He could at least do some interviews and sell some tickets.

JJ (IMO) has a wage-earner mentality...similar to a brick layer (no pun intended). He seems to play the game as a guy who figures if he shows up, works, shoots some shots and scores some points, plays some D, gets some rebounds...he is earning his checks and that's it.

He wanted to be "the man" coming out of PHX...but he has settled into being a big fish in a little puddle. :kickcan:

• Like 4

JJ is very tradable. The notion that he isnt is laughable. Sure penny pinchers will stay away. There are some teams used to winning like LA that would love to swing a deal for Robin to Kobes batman.

• Like 1

JJ is very tradable. The notion that he isnt is laughable. Sure penny pinchers will stay away. There are some teams used to winning like LA that would love to swing a deal for Robin to Kobes batman.

Thanks NJH...I think you are right..not saying the Hawks (in our current configuration with ASG in charge) would do that due to their dumbness compared to rocks/bags of hammers...but new ownership might.

JJ would fit well with Alpha Dog Kobe IMO.

Joe should stay. Very good player. An impact player. We aren't going to get anything close to that back for Joe. Probably 40-50 cents on a $1. That equals a bad contract like Brandan Haywood who is a good backup center and a 6th man like Jason Terry. That's a pretty crappy deal. Joe is HIGHLY likely here to stay.

• Like 2

Joe is the 3rd best SG in the NBA but I would not mind trading him for some guys who are underneath him talent wise like Monta Ellis. Monta is a small SG and could cause problems in many ways, but Monta is a alpha male. He will play with Curry but not defer, he will play with Al, Josh, and Teague but not defer. We need that type of person because I still have not figured out who that guy is for this team. Josh is the closest thing we have to a headstrong alpha male and a lot of people dont like the things he is hell bent on doing.

Well if there actually is a way to trade Joe, then I hope the organization makes that a priority. I know he still is a big part of this team's success but even the biggest Joe fans have to look at how he his performance has dropped and how he ABSOLUTELY DID NOT live up to his contract this year and probably won't for the remainder of it. It's like the earlier post said, he could at least FAKE some passion and leadership out there to try and inspire his teammates around him but it's just not in his character. I would be fine with that if he were putting up his 25 or so points a game but he can't even do that in the regular season anymore and he doesn't shoulder the load in the playoffs and help us get over the hump. He is a superstar's sidekick at best.

• Premium Member

Here are the highest paid non-big men in the NBA right now:

1. Kobe Bryant

2. Rashard Lewis

3. Michael Redd

4. Andrei Kirilenko

5. Gilbert Arenas

6. Vince Carter

Do we think Joe Johnson has more in common with Kobe Bryant or everyone else?

Three of those are about to come off the list for next season:

1. Kobe Bryant

2. Rashard Lewis

3. Gilbert Arenas

4. Carmelo Anthony

5. Joe Johnson

• Premium Member

Well if there actually is a way to trade Joe, then I hope the organization makes that a priority. I know he still is a big part of this team's success but even the biggest Joe fans have to look at how he his performance has dropped and how he ABSOLUTELY DID NOT live up to his contract this year and probably won't for the remainder of it. It's like the earlier post said, he could at least FAKE some passion and leadership out there to try and inspire his teammates around him but it's just not in his character. I would be fine with that if he were putting up his 25 or so points a game but he can't even do that in the regular season anymore and he doesn't shoulder the load in the playoffs and help us get over the hump. He is a superstar's sidekick at best.

So it's about living up to the contract?

How many players do we have right now that lives up to the contract?

I would say none of them.

If you didn't know the details of Joe's contract, would you still want to trade him???

If you can honestly answer that.... then I think you have a basis. But if all you're doing is looking at the contract and ignoring the team's need and dynamic... then you're not really doing anything but complaining about something that has no effect on how we play.

If you want to trade JJ root for the Bulls to get swept decisively by the Heat. Chicago went after Joe this offseason and they'd likely look for another star to piece with Rose. They will have cap space so they could make the deal work if they packaged someone like Deng for JJ.

So it's about living up to the contract?

How many players do we have right now that lives up to the contract?

I would say none of them.

If you didn't know the details of Joe's contract, would you still want to trade him???

If you can honestly answer that.... then I think you have a basis. But if all you're doing is looking at the contract and ignoring the team's need and dynamic... then you're not really doing anything but complaining about something that has no effect on how we play.

Yes it is about living up to the contract. I would say JJ and Marvin are the only two Hawks that have very obviously not lived up to their contracts. Yes I would still want to trade Joe even if I didn't know the details of his contract and that is, by the way, a ludicrous question. I think Joe has a positive effect on how we play in terms of wins and losses in the regular season but it is negated by the hefty amount of money this organization has put into him supposedly being able to do more like carry your team like a superstar. You simply don't pay a guy that much if all he does is have a net positive impact on your team. That good?

I just looked at RealGM's trade checker. Joe Johnson isn't any better statistically tha Luol Deng.

Sheesh what a waste of 120 million dollars.........

I know it could and almost definitely would have set the Hawks back a year or two by letting Joe walk but I'm telling you that his contract is hurting this team big time. If he can be traded to free the Hawks of the financial shackles, it must be done. Joe has proven what he is and more importantly, what he is becoming in this league. He already seems to be on the downslide and we paid him at the wrong time. He would be perfect as a second option but he is 100%, absolutely not a max contract superstar player....yet he is paid to be.

I know it could and almost definitely would have set the Hawks back a year or two by letting Joe walk but I'm telling you that his contract is hurting this team big time. If he can be traded to free the Hawks of the financial shackles, it must be done. Joe has proven what he is and more importantly, what he is becoming in this league. He already seems to be on the downslide and we paid him at the wrong time. He would be perfect as a second option but he is 100%, absolutely not a max contract superstar player....yet he is paid to be.

An example of a Joe Johnson trade that works and is workable because of team issues.

http://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/5886854

Johnson, Williams for Bynum, Artest and Blake.

Now assuming you add a 3rd team that would want to make this a 3 way to make the lineups palatable, it looks like this for the Hawks on paper,

Bynum/Zaza

Horford/

Smith

Hinrich/Artest

Teague/Blake/Sy

You sit at about 65 million with 3 players to sign. Blake is signed for 3 more years at 4 million per. Artest is signed for 11-12 with a 2 year player option at 7+ million. Bynum is signed for one more year with a team option.

Assuming you would want to move Artest, you could do so for two 3-4 million per players.

Trading Joe is doable, it just comes with some obvious risks.

An example of a Joe Johnson trade that works and is workable because of team issues.

http://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/5886854

Johnson, Williams for Bynum, Artest and Blake.

Now assuming you add a 3rd team that would want to make this a 3 way to make the lineups palatable, it looks like this for the Hawks on paper,

Bynum/Zaza

Horford/

Smith

Hinrich/Artest

Teague/Blake/Sy

You sit at about 65 million with 3 players to sign. Blake is signed for 3 more years at 4 million per. Artest is signed for 11-12 with a 2 year player option at 7+ million. Bynum is signed for one more year with a team option.

Assuming you would want to move Artest, you could do so for two 3-4 million per players.

Trading Joe is doable, it just comes with some obvious risks.

You get good value for Joe in that trade but we don't have a perimeter threat on that team assuming Crawford doesn't resign and Teague doesn't become an all star. That team has a huge flaw.