• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What are you thoughts on Damien Wilkins?

Diesel

• Premium Member

damien-wilkins.jpg?w=200&h=170&crop=1

Has he become too old?

Is he not good enough?

Does he want too much money?

While he is not Micheal Pietrus, he is our top Wing defensive guy. I think given more time, he would prove his worth substantially. But he and his experience doesn't see to be what we're looking for..

What's squawking?

I like Damien...........you will be hard pressed to find a better wing for the veterans minimum. It looks like we will have 5 minimum salaried guys to fill out the roster given the new CBA:

Collins

Wilkens

Slim (2nd round pick)

?

?

Edited by coachx

• Premium Member

Damien has the talent and Attitude of what great teams need. He is a guy like Bogans, Bowen, Posey, Allen ect... You see attitude is contagious and the Hawks need tough like-minded guys throughout the roster. I'd say sign him. By the way, Zaza is so unappreciated, he just bust his butt while others speak of leadership and fade in crunch time. These dump Zaza for trash sentiments are ridiculous. Tough guys win games.

Agreed, agreed, agreed...1000%

Damen is pure hustle, effort, and energy. I wish we could somehow splice him and Marvin together...and leave out all the bad qualities.

• Moderators

Damien has the talent and Attitude of what great teams need. He is a guy like Bogans, Bowen, Posey, Allen ect... You see attitude is contagious and the Hawks need tough like-minded guys throughout the roster. I'd say sign him. By the way, Zaza is so unappreciated, he just bust his butt while others speak of leadership and fade in crunch time. These dump Zaza for trash sentiments are ridiculous. Tough guys win games.

Totally agree. Zaza showed up big time in the playoffs i thought. Which is why i don't see the need to mortgage the farm for a center.

Marvin and Damien seem like duplication at this point. We need a wing who can score and play D. At least one who can shoot. If we can get that and move Marv I"d be up for Damien as a backup.

I like Damien a lot for what he is but if we can replace him with someone younger that plays with the same intensity who also has the size to be able to guard SFs then I'd have to let Damien go.

I agree. Damien is a nice player who has occasionally filled a role for us. If we can afford him I'd love to see him here again next year. But realistically the guy is about as easily replaceable as a player can be....plus he's tweener...at the tail-end of his NBA run.

Edited by DJlaysitup

• Premium Member

I like Damien a lot for what he is but if we can replace him with someone younger that plays with the same intensity who also has the size to be able to guard SFs then I'd have to let Damien go.

I'm not disagreeing with you. In fact, I agree. I just want to point out that to find guys who are good hustle guys who concentrate on defense... is something that will be very difficult with Young players. To be as described requires a humbling. Most players are not that humble. That's why when we talk about these guys, we talk about the Bruce Bowens, Damien Wilkins, Shane Battier's and Raja Bell's... with the exception of Battier, these guys gather experience before taking on those roles...

With this younger generation, it is becoming harder to find that trait in anybody.

Edited by Diesel

• Moderators

I'm not disagreeing with you. In fact, I agree. I just want to point out that to find guys who are good hustle guys who concentrate on defense... is something that will be very difficult with Young players. To be as described requires a humbling. Most players are not that humble. That's why when we talk about these guys, we talk about the Bruce Bowens, Damien Wilkins, Shane Battier's and Raja Bell's... with the exception of Battier, these guys gather experience before taking on those roles...

With this younger generation, it is becoming harder to find that trait in anybody.

That is why I thought 6'6'' DeAndre Liggins and his roughly 7 foot wingspan was intriguing with our pick this year. If we get a viable big man out of it, that is worth more but I think Liggins will be successful for the reasons you mention.

That is why I thought 6'6'' DeAndre Liggins and his roughly 7 foot wingspan was intriguing with our pick this year. If we get a viable big man out of it, that is worth more but I think Liggins will be successful for the reasons you mention.

I like Damien. He's a very hard-working player. If we had a team full of guys who worked that hard, or as others have noted if we could somehow morph Marvin and Damien together so you'd get a player with Marvin's physical gifts and Damien's heart and hustle, then we'd be all set.

I like Damien. He's a very hard-working player. If we had a team full of guys who worked that hard, or as others have noted if we could somehow morph Marvin and Damien together so you'd get a player with Marvin's physical gifts and Damien's heart and hustle, then we'd be all set.

Sounds like 'Rudy'...