Has anyone mentioned this? (Barkley Comments)

Frenzy

Love it, called out on national television by one of the game's icons. LD is shaping up to be a helluva coach. I've often wished they could hear what this or that announcer observed and recommended during some of their lax play. Specifically things Wilkins, Fratello, and Brown have pointed out at one time or another while calling Hawks games. I hope that LD does this more often. Perspective magnifier.gif

• Like 1

I'll be the first to say I don't like it. Chuck has nothing to do with our locker room, he's dumb as a brick, and the players are fully aware of the nation's perspective on them. Thry have to look no further than their own attendance and the fact that their Sportscenter highlights come on after hockey and tennis. Hubie Brown lives down the street. He's infinately more intelligent about matters of basketball than some moronic drunk who'll say or do anything to get noticed. Why should his "input" be valued when he couldn't even get a cheap ring off of Hakeem's and Clyde's backs?

Edited by benhillboy

• Premium Member

I'll be the first to say I don't like it. Chuck has nothing to do with our locker room, he's dumb as a brick, and the players are fully aware of the nation's perspective on them. Hubie Brown lives down the street. He's infinately more intelligent about matters of basketball than some moronic drunk who'll say or do anything to get noticed. Why should his "input" be valued when he couldn't even get a cheap ring off of Hakeem's and Clyde's backs?

Say what you want about Charles, he's a hall of famer and he was right. Whether you like him or not, the fact that LD played his comments mean that on some level, LD agreed with him and that it was something that our team needed to change.

• Like 2

I'll be the first to say I don't like it. Chuck has nothing to do with our locker room, he's dumb as a brick, and the players are fully aware of the nation's perspective on them. Thry have to look no further than their own attendance and the fact that their Sportscenter highlights come on after hockey and tennis. Hubie Brown lives down the street. He's infinately more intelligent about matters of basketball than some moronic drunk who'll say or do anything to get noticed. Why should his "input" be valued when he couldn't even get a cheap ring off of Hakeem's and Clyde's backs?

Chuck made the broadcast very difficult for me to watch, it was just turrrrble. Mostly because he was right headphones.gif

Excuse the topic jack, I know Turner is in Atlanta, as was the game, but how did Charles get to call the game anyway? I wouldn't mind if they just have national games on NBAtv & ESPN.

Even when they are playing well, they make it seems like they are the Wizards.

• Moderators

Why should his "input" be valued when he couldn't even get a cheap ring off of Hakeem's and Clyde's backs?

(1) Because he is respected and well known enough that the players will be embarrassed by the way he called them out and either want to prove him wrong or want to make sure it doesn't happen again.

(2) Because he was right.

• Like 2

I like it, then I dont like it. I guess I dont seem to understand why the Hawks should even care at this point they are always talked about and this isnt the first or last time it will happen. But if this does for some odd reason make them play more passionate as a team than great, so far i like what im seeing from this team myself of course it could be better but they are good right now hands down.

• Moderators

The important part of his comment was "I hate watching this Hawks team". If he hates watching them imagine how the fans feel. He never said they were bad only that no one was stepping up to play at a high level (reading into it). Just a bunch of guys who aren't going to call each other out or demand excellence. Its one thing to say to the press 'we really need to bring more energy' its another to rally, push, and dare i say LEAD your team to do it night in and night out for 48 minutes. That's what makes them unwatchable is that they are capable of pummeling excellent opposition but many nights they don't seem to care.

• Like 2

So apparently Larry Drew compiled all of Charles Barkley's comments from the TNT broadcast vs. the Heat and showed the video to them team to let them know and tell them that's how the rest of the league rightfully views them. It made me like Drew a little more when I heard about it and actually gave me some actual satisfaction to know at the very least that those players got to hear that stuff.

I didn't see a thread about this, so I thought I'd get some feedback and possibly inform the board.

I have a buddy who works at ESPN. He said he heard this from Jon Kincaid today when the show he produces interviewed Kindcaid.

• Moderators

Wow, looks like LD showing that video REALLY solved our toughness issues.

/sarcasm

If anyone knows how to definitely solve our toughness problems, they have a very well paid job waiting for them. I think it was worth the attempt to get these guys to respond. Based on our past, we know there will be some games where this team curls up in a fetal position. Tonight is apparently one of those nights.

This is also why I can't take at face value anyone saying they think they Hawks would be favored in a series against Miami or Chicago. We would have to take their punches and man up for 7 games - not just a night or two. This game doesn't bode well if we end up matched up against Indy either.

• Like 1