• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks really pursueing Martin

capstone21

• Admin

AJC says that the Hawks are meeting with Kenyon Martin and his reps today.

It said that he is interested in the significant role he could play here and the fact that we are a playoff contender.

He would be a great pickup and would basiclly take Collins minutes (except when we play Orlando).

Added toughness, rebounding and depth on our bench is a nice thing.

• Like 4

• Premium Member

AJC says that the Hawks are meeting with Kenyon Martin and his reps today.

It said that he is interested in the significant role he could play here and the fact that we are a playoff contender.

He would be a great pickup and would basiclly take Collins minutes (except when we play Orlando).

Added toughness, rebounding and depth on our bench is a nice thing.

It's good to see the Hawks going after another big. I really wanted to see them go after a 7 footer, but I can see why they are going after Martin. He would fit right in with the balanced attack on offense and defense while adding more attitude and toughness to the frontcourt. He may even be able to play some center. The question is, who gets cut to make room for him?

This only makes sense if Atlanta is going after D12.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

Jerry been useless but I think it might be Vlad.

• Premium Member

No not Stack!!!!!!!! laugh.png But truthfully, he is the most likely candidate to get the axe.

Jerry+Stackhouse+Atlanta+Hawks+v+Milwaukee+t3m9S26HYoql.jpg

~lw3

Jerry been useless but I think it might be Vlad.

No way man. Vlad's 3pt shooting will be HUGE during the Playoffs. Teams will be doubling JJ like crazy.

Well I won't believe it until he's signed and the ink is dry but I'm definitely excited to hear this. This could also mean that they're not confident that Al is coming back this year and they would put him on IR, which I believe would open up a roster spot for him. I hope that isn't the case and if it's not then I expect that we'll either look to make a trade and clear a spot or Stack will get the axe.

Not sure how signing yet another undersized pf helps this team at all. Don't they already have two in Smoove and Ivan?

K-Mart has played in multiple NBA finals, has a ton (87 starts) of playoff experience, and he's got an enforcer type of mentality and you can never have too many of those. He's also big and athletic enough to be able to play the 5 at times for us. The guy also has the ability to score on the post and again you can never have too much of that.

• Like 1

If Martin does wind up with the Hawks and he takes away minutes from Ivan, I will be pissed. Ivan has earned the privilege to come in and contribute. What would Kenyon Martin be able to do that Ivan couldn't do? I don't get the interest in trying so hard to land him.

Kenyon Martin is a proven starter. He's one of the better PF's in the NBA. He provide toughness and what not. Ivan is a role player. Smith is an All Star. Something about this screams major trade of Smith or Horford or both.

If Martin does wind up with the Hawks and he takes away minutes from Ivan, I will be pissed. Ivan has earned the privilege to come in and contribute. What would Kenyon Martin be able to do that Ivan couldn't do? I don't get the interest in trying so hard to land him.

Nothing against Ivan, cause I like the guy and love what he brings to the table, but when you have a chance to land the best remaining FA and a guy who has been there and done that in the NBA finals then you have to take a chance on him. The problem with us as Hawks fans is that we romanticize these rookies / undrafted types of players and have expectations that are too great for what they're really capable of and while I can see Ivan having a role on this years team there is no way I'm not signing K-Mart just because I'm worried about losing playing time for an undrafted rookie FA.

• Like 3

• Admin

Martin is a nice addition if he comes....depth, experience, rebounding, toughness. All things we need.

Now if we get him...don't expect a star player. He is here to help play a role off the bench. If that means Ivan sits...that is okay. Ivan has been a nice surprise addition and a keeper going forward.

As far as a trade...Martin is not the player he once was and bringing him in does not make anyone expendable up front.

As far as a trade...Martin is not the player he once was and bringing him in does not make anyone expendable up front.

I don't remember but can we carry 15 players? Cause I believe we have 14 now and I can't remember what the max player limit is. If it's 14 then we'd have to cut someone.

Nothing against Ivan, cause I like the guy and love what he brings to the table, but when you have a chance to land the best remaining FA and a guy who has been there and done that in the NBA finals then you have to take a chance on him. The problem with us as Hawks fans is that we romanticize these rookies / undrafted types of players and have expectations that are too great for what they're really capable of and while I can see Ivan having a role on this years team there is no way I'm not signing K-Mart just because I'm worried about losing playing time for an undrafted rookie FA.

Exactly. I really like our team right now - but it would be silly to skip a chance at improving if it's out there.

As far as waiving a player - if we had to - Stack would be the guy. Bummer I know...but with the compacted schedule I think we need an emergency PG. Plus, Pargo can actually play real minutes in case LD wants to rest either Jeff or Kirk.

Also - as far as duplicating skill sets - the more tough bigs we have the better. It would be unrealistic to think that we will go injury free the rest of the year.

That said...I would imagine there will be plenty of other teams thinking the same way.

• Premium Member

Guys, do you so quickly forget we just released Donald Sloan? It wasn't because we had to make room for Hinrich... he was on the roster anyhow. So, no, we don't have to make room, other than lux-tax room if that's deemed necessary.

I'm patting myself on the back right now that I saw this coming... friends with Smoove, and would add some grit and toughness as part of a rotation that primarily featured Josh, Al, and himself.

Yet... I'm disappointed because this suggests to me that they really don't think Kaman's getting bought out... or, that, if he were to get bought out, we wouldn't compete for him.

Or maybe this is just a matter of a bird in the hand over two in the bush... don't want to not go after K-Mart, then fail to get Kaman, and then end up with nothing.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

K-Mart has played in multiple NBA finals, has a ton (87 starts) of playoff experience, and he's got an enforcer type of mentality and you can never have too many of those. He's also big and athletic enough to be able to play the 5 at times for us. The guy also has the ability to score on the post and again you can never have too much of that.

Big and athletic enough to play the 5? He's the same height as Smoove which is 6'8. He's also 34 and averaged 8 pts and 6 rebs last year. I just don't see how signing him alone helps in the playoffs against a team like the Bulls where the Hawks lack of size was blatantly exposed. I do like Kenyon, but this would only make sense if you were planning to make a move to get a legit 5. Other than that, you're just adding an older Ivan Johnson.

...Or maybe this is just a matter of a bird in the hand over two in the bush... don't want to not go after K-Mart, then fail to get Kaman, and then end up with nothing.

I'll take the bird in the hand and be very happy...we are still the Hawks...and we do still have the artists formerly known as the ASG as our owners.

Big and athletic enough to play the 5? He's the same height as Smoove which is 6'8. He's also 34 and averaged 8 pts and 6 rebs last year. I just don't see how signing him alone helps in the playoffs against a team like the Bulls where the Hawks lack of size was blatantly exposed. I do like Kenyon, but this would only make sense if you were planning to make a move to get a legit 5. Other than that, you're just adding an older Ivan Johnson.

He is listed at 6'-9".His averages last year is based on 48 games played, he was injured at the start of year. Martin has been a good aggressive rebounder his career.

I am an IVAN fan but he has not done squat in this league compared to Kenyon. During the playoffs you need verteran savvy and presence on your bench. Kenyon knows what he is doing on an NBA court, IVAN is still learning. You can never have too many big bodies at the 4/5 spot.