• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks - Celtics

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

This is a good chance for the Hawks to press the Celtics back down toward the bottom of the playoff pack, where the Mike Woodson Reclamation Project, winners of three straight, and the Bucks, on a five-game streak, are making a late charge.

The Celts have gone 3-4 in their last 7 games and dropped their last two in back-to-back matchups on the road, getting lit up for a season high 120 points at lowly Sacramento, then falling behind early and coming up short late in Denver. In both games, the Celtics as a team were beaten on the glass (36-to-23 on defensive boards vs. Sacto; 32-to-23 on defensive rebounds vs. Denver).

They’re used to being unproductive on the offensive glass (lowest offensive rebounding rate, by far) because they’ve been a historically top-shooting NBA team. But without Jermaine O’Neal (wrist; contract issue) and Chris Wilcox (season-ending aortic surgery), Kevin Garnett needs help from his teammates if the Celtics intend to rebound defensively and control possessions. He needs the 6’8”, 250-pound Brandon Bass to play more like a power forward and less like a bulky shooting guard. Bass snared 3 rebounds, total, in 60 minutes of action the last two games.

Offensively, Bass’ long-range shots – 4.9 a game – make up nearly half of his shot selections, although he is nailing alost half of them (49%). Meanwhile, Boston is last in the league in the percentage of shots taken at 3-9 feet from the rim (9.4%, only team taking less than 10% of their FGAs from here).

Paul Pierce and Rajon Rondo are both well below their rebounding averages as well during this 7-game stretch, and need to pick up the slack pronto. Without that, Doc Rivers may have to rely on the likes of Greg Stiemsma and JaJuan Johnson to stop the bleeding. They are actively trolling the waiver wire for band-aids like Rony Turiaf and Chris Johnson, but are really holding out hope that a player of Chris Kaman’s caliber becomes available before Friday’s playoff-eligibility deadline.

With a lack of frontcourt bangers and anyone other than Rondo capable of driving and drawing contact, Boston is next to last in shot attempts leading to And-1 calls, a paltry 1.8%.

While all-time marksman Ray Allen is shooting threes as well as ever before (now 4th in the league at 46%), he doesn’t have so much game outside of the TD Garden Center as of late. He’s shooting a very pedestrian (for him) 41% from three-point range on the road, compared to 52% at home. His three-point field goal percentage has declined as the season wears on, going from 58% in Decemeber, to 55% in January, to 40% in February and 39% so far in March.

The Rondo effect is evident, as usual, in Boston holding the highest assist rate and the percentage of field goals assisted (66.7%). Cut off the passes for mid-range and long-range shots, as Boston leads the NBA in assisted buckets between 10-15 feet, and is second in assisted 2-point field goals from 16-23 feet. Boston is conversely among the league’s top teams in turnover rate (3rd highest). The Hawks must convert the lion’s share of Boston turnovers from steals into transition baskets to get the decisive edge.

The Rondo effect also shows up in the Celtics’ stellar perimeter defense. Their opponents have the NBA’s worst 3-point shooting percentage (31%) and make the second fewest long-range two-pointers per game (6.3). Don’t settle for these shots, unless you’re wiiiiide open (and are capable of making the basket with reasonable proficiency). Drive instead, and force Rondo and the Beantown Bigs to make a play.

Boston’s opponents attack with mid-range shots (11% of all shots) more than anyone in the NBA, but to limited success (35%, 3rd worst). Fake the Celtics’ defenders at this range and drive to the bucket.

Go Hawks!

~lw3

Always fun to see one of my favs running around and shooting the prettiest jumper known to man. Never been a Pierce fan, but will always marvel at the way those guys came together and got it done the same year (unlike the Heat). Really nothing to add. Rebound the ball, try to aggressively turn them over, and drive the hole. Got it. We still don't have a player who pumps in order to drive enough. Josh should do it much more, and T-Mac can/ should. Chris Bosh is the master and our players could learn from studying him. If Zaza and Ivan give us tough, productive minutes and draw fouls, I'll say Hawks by 5.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

Quality is craptacular but this is all I need to get fired up for the Celtics. Nothing easy!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAcerISqI8s

Hawks win 103-91.

Joe Johnson 25 points on 10-16 shooting.

Josh 12 points on 7-825 shooting, 8 rebounds, 8 assists.

Teague 15 poin ts, 3-4 from three land, 5 steals.

Zaza 11 points, 17 rebounds crazy.gif

GO HAWKS!

rofl.gif

Man, we finally get to play Boston... Who created this schedule anyway..?

Just checked the standing. Maybe I'm stupid, but can someone explain to me why Philly is #4 in the east and the Hawks are #6 when their records are 25/20 and 26/19 respectively..?

Man, we finally get to play Boston... Who created this schedule anyway..?

Just checked the standing. Maybe I'm stupid, but can someone explain to me why Philly is #4 in the east and the Hawks are #6 when their records are 25/20 and 26/19 respectively..?

Division winners are guaranteed a top-4 seed regardless of record.

So teague just got ne out of my very comfortable seat at home.....Lol hell of a play.

Airball Teague? Really? Joe made his mistakes like he always does against good defense, but he single-handedly shot us back into it. I'm gonna need him to see the target before he passes it. I've always been a big proponent of H.O.F. credentials and how they just put you over the top, especially in games as ugly as that one. Boston has arguably 4 Future H.O.F.ers as long as Rondo stays the course. We have arguably only 2 that will hopefully appear on a ballot for a couple years after it's understood they'll never make it (Joe and T-Mac). On to the next one. Shout out to Zaza and his glass work. 3rd in the NBA in rebounding this month.

Edited by benhillboy

I'm only slightly pissed seeing Jeff Teague choke so horribly on that wide open three to tie the game, but I'm pissed the f**k off that Joe, after single-handedly getting us back in the game, has to turn to Jeff and see a big *ss f*****g grin on his face.

Edited by SmooveZilla

I'm only slightly pissed seeing Jeff Teague choke so horribly on that wide open three to tie the game, but I'm pissed the f**k off that Joe, after single-handedly getting us back in the game, has to turn to Jeff and see a big *ss f*****g grin on his face.

I didn't get the smile either. It's something wrong upstairs with that kid.