• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why are so many down on Marvin Williams

Joker

• Premium Member

There's some players I hate so much that I literally can't wait until they are no longer on our team. Marvin and Shellhead and Henderson and JR Rider are the only Hawks players I actively hated and wished they would be gone from the team. I can't wait for the day when Marvin is no longer a Hawk and we no longer have to hear the "But but but the Hawks should have taken Deron or Paul!!!" response from the media.

The thing is Marvin is fairly compensated for what he is right now. That's Atlanta fault if they don't want to run an offense or create easier shots for him. That's their problem. I think Marvin career could have been completely different in a different situation. Atlanta ruined Marvin even if he was never going to be Deron or CP3, he could have been a 18ppg, 6rpg, and 1.5blk and 1stl a game type of player.

This is a remarkably convenient argument because it is something that nobody can disprove. Because we don't have a new offense, nobody can logically say that you are wrong. If I had 20 million dollars, I'd give away 19. Don't believe me? Prove it. You could say your life doesn't show that pattern, all sorts of statistic on spending history, selfishness, etc. And I can just say well if I had 20 million dollars, it'd all be different. It all goes nowhere.I'd push a different theory on Marvin Williams. Obviously he has not met expectations as a #2 pick. That goes without saying. But he shows no passion. He shows no heart. He looks lost out there. What makes it even worse is that he is very good athlete.There is a frustration in our minds in reconciling the divergence between expectations and reality plus between head/heart and physical ability.
  • Like 2

• Moderators

People are upset with Marvin because he was picked #2 overall. Everyone knows that getting picked there is not his fault, but the fact remains that with the #2 pick you come with expectations. When people think of Marvin they think of somebody who should have been a 25 and 7 guy, and instead is a solid bench player.

My point exactly. Also, I am frustrated that Sund and the coaching staff still consider him a starter. He is a great player to bring off of the bench when the team is in need of a three or a defensive stop, but he should not be in the starting line up. i have said that SF has to be the most universal player on the court in today's game. He has to be able to create on offense, be able to shoot from anywhere within 25 feet, and be able to play great defense on the other end. Plus, Marvin is just another player on the Hawks roster that is nothing more than a jump shooter. No dribble-drive game, no post moves. Just a jump shooter. Edited by PSSSHHHRRR87

This is a remarkably convenient argument because it is something that nobody can disprove. Because we don't have a new offense, nobody can logically say that you are wrong. If I had 20 million dollars, I'd give away 19. Don't believe me? Prove it. You could say your life doesn't show that pattern, all sorts of statistic on spending history, selfishness, etc. And I can just say well if I had 20 million dollars, it'd all be different. It all goes nowhere.I'd push a different theory on Marvin Williams. Obviously he has not met expectations as a #2 pick. That goes without saying. But he shows no passion. He shows no heart. He looks lost out there. What makes it even worse is that he is very good athlete.There is a frustration in our minds in reconciling the divergence between expectations and reality plus between head/heart and physical ability.

The best rebuttal I had v. me on this site. This might be the first rebuttal where I might have to fall back on. Great post and props.
  • Like 2

Guest Walter

All I can say is that MW quit school early so he could cash in and again spend his off-seasons going back to school. MFer! We invested a lot in him and rather than invest in his career he invested back into his education. He screwed this franchise giving little or no effort in the off-seasons.W

• Like 2

Marvin works out during the off-season but you can tell his work ethic isn't like Joe's, Al's or Josh's or any other star player in the NBA.

Marvin Williams is a "bust" of Sam Bowie proportions... To not see this is to deny that the sky is above your head and the ground is below your feet.Billy Knight, who should seriously burn eternally, is the one to be hated here; but Marvin's ineptitude vs. Deron/CP3's Greatness is a glaring shiner on the face of this franchise.Marvin Williams could be defined as:- MAJOR Underachiever- Offensively Underachieving based on expectation- Average to Above Average on Defense- Below Average to Average as a rebounder; although at 6'9" I'd say it's closer to poor.- Below Average to Average 3pt. shooter- Awkward- Injury prone- Not useful in ANY offensive set to date...- NOT Progressing as a player AT ALL...I'm sorry man, he's garbage. He's stealing money at this point.

• Like 1

Marvin Williams is a "bust" of Sam Bowie proportions... To not see this is to deny that the sky is above your head and the ground is below your feet.Billy Knight, who should seriously burn eternally, is the one to be hated here; but Marvin's ineptitude vs. Deron/CP3's Greatness is a glaring shiner on the face of this franchise.Marvin Williams could be defined as:- MAJOR Underachiever- Offensively Underachieving based on expectation- Average to Above Average on Defense- Below Average to Average as a rebounder; although at 6'9" I'd say it's closer to poor.- Below Average to Average 3pt. shooter- Awkward- Injury prone- Not useful in ANY offensive set to date...- NOT Progressing as a player AT ALL...I'm sorry man, he's garbage. He's stealing money at this point.

Bowie was more like Oden, he was a bust but if healthy he could have been like Oden. One of the most talented bigs to come to the NBA but he was always hurt in HS, college, and the NBA.He is a good defender, he is one of the best rebounders for SF per36, His spot up 3 point shooting is one of the best in the NBA, he is very useful when he get him open looks more than not and we read his cuts which rarely happens either. This is a prime example of why I created the thread. Fallacies of Marvin due to the fact that you are still on sour grapes for the CP3/Deron miss. Atlanta is stupid, they are extremely stupid and Marvin over Deron/CP3 is one example but resigning him wasn't a bad move in fact it could be an useful move if they can land a playmaking PG which hasn't happened yet.No one can deny he is underachieving and is awkward. Injury prone is something that I think is fairly accurate as well. If you are a movement player and a spot up shooter, how is a possible to progress in Atlanta's system mainly with their current personnel grouping?

I think that this just about covers it. People, please move on, nothing to see here...

His 3pt % is nowhere near the best at his position... Seriously man?as for him getting open off of cuts and creating his own shot... WHEN IN THE HELL DID THIS HAPPEN?I've been to nearly every Hawks' home game since he's been here and the majority of the time Marvin shuffles up the court and stands LITERALLY IN THE CORNER behind the 3pt. line... He's useless, he applies ZERO effort to create a shot.He doesn't even try to set picks, he literally STANDS IN THE CORNER and waits for Iso-Joe to be over...STEALING MONEY!!!

Marvin sucks for a player at his salary level and position within the organization...he is the worst bust as a 2nd pick without injuries.He simply sucks. He has never been hurt much - he just can't play the game of basketball very well at the professional level - simple as that. There are many players in the second round/free agent level that are better basketball players than Marvin.

His 3pt % is nowhere near the best at his position... Seriously man?as for him getting open off of cuts and creating his own shot... WHEN IN THE HELL DID THIS HAPPEN?I've been to nearly every Hawks' home game since he's been here and the majority of the time Marvin shuffles up the court and stands LITERALLY IN THE CORNER behind the 3pt. line... He's useless, he applies ZERO effort to create a shot.He doesn't even try to set picks, he literally STANDS IN THE CORNER and waits for Iso-Joe to be over...STEALING MONEY!!!

spot up 3 point shooting is what I said and yes he is up there for that in particular especially for his position.He can't create his own shot, in fact he is awkward on the ball.He is always making the right cuts, screens within the set, and moving around.He does stand around as well, that tends to be a Hawk ritual especially in ISO-situations but generally he's moving.He doesn't try to set picks? Seriously? Come on now, this is flat out wrong.

• Premium Member

All I can say is that MW quit school early so he could cash in and again spend his off-seasons going back to school. MFer! We invested a lot in him and rather than invest in his career he invested back into his education. He screwed this franchise giving little or no effort in the off-seasons.W

I'm not against education. However, with what he is paid and what we need as a team, his very lackadaisical attitude towards being a basketball player is frustrating to the fans of this team.Just about every year, he comes back out of shape.Over the summer, coaches have to prompt him to work out and practice.These are not the kind of things that you come to expect from millionaire players.It has to burn a guy like Charles Barkley up to see a guy like Marvin just handed everything... knowing that he had to work very hard to get less than what marvin gets. And then there's the appreciation factor.

I'm not against education. However, with what he is paid and what we need as a team, his very lackadaisical attitude towards being a basketball player is frustrating to the fans of this team.Just about every year, he comes back out of shape.Over the summer, coaches have to prompt him to work out and practice.These are not the kind of things that you come to expect from millionaire players.It has to burn a guy like Charles Barkley up to see a guy like Marvin just handed everything... knowing that he had to work very hard to get less than what marvin gets. And then there's the appreciation factor.

Marvin doesn't come in out of shape. He doesn't have that burn but we all know Basketball is not Marvin's passion. You are killing him again for what we already know mainly due to CP3/Deron again.

• Premium Member

Marvin doesn't come in out of shape. He doesn't have that burn but we all know Basketball is not Marvin's passion. You are killing him again for what we already know mainly due to CP3/Deron again.

This is an idiotic response. I didn't say one thing about CP3/Deron. I talked about Marvin's work ethic (period). And Yes, Marvin does come back out of shape. This year, I give him grace because he was coming off of surgery (which he could have had earlier)... but dude is always trying to get back in basketball shape during the season. Then he pitches a bitch when guys like Crawford and others are playing in front of him. He has an entitlement problem.

Marvin didn't come in out of shape. We seen him before the season started. He was in great shape. I even made a thread about it. In his first 6 games, he lead the NBA in PER. Diesel, this is why I always win with you. You are always talking out of your tail. It never makes sense ever!This is all about CP3/Deron to you guys. Nothing more. Nothing less. Marvin is the least of my worries. Joe contract, Al's need for a playmaking PG, and a potential Josh trade is far more important than Marvin. I know what he is. I have no real quarrels. He is paid the same as Hinrich and produces a lot more than Kirk. He actually is a starter who can play his position and he's young (25).

Please prove that Marvin comes in out of shape every year or even most years. I'm so sick of reading negative crap about a man who's obviously never been fat or out of shape and who has obviously improved the parts of his game that he can. And y'all live to hate the man for working on his degree but I applaud him for it! Wish more athletes made it a priority so they'll have something to fall back on when sports have used them up.Hate to say it but I fully agree with soup here!

Please prove that Marvin comes in out of shape every year or even most years. I'm so sick of reading negative crap about a man who's obviously never been fat or out of shape and who has obviously improved the parts of his game that he can. And y'all live to hate the man for working on his degree but I applaud him for it! Wish more athletes made it a priority so they'll have something to fall back on when sports have used them up.

Hate to say it but I fully agree with soup here!

Posted Image

What part of his game has he worked on? He still can't finish under the basket/at the basket. Has gotten streaky shooting off the pick. Still can't create a shot to save his life. Avoids all physical contact whether its on offense or defense.

Lol. An education to fall back on after he's done playing basketball is a bit much. Yes, he needs an education to learn how to manage his money but, I'm sure there's no other degree where he can make $8 million per year. If it is, then you and I both should turn in our resume. Just accept the fact that the kid went to the NBA for the money and not for the passion. He hasn't done anything since his epic pay raise..