• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Larry Drew Speaks (audio)

NineOhTheRino

• Premium Member

• Premium Member

Did anyone else catch it when Drew said he has to sit down with management/ownership and see what they want and what he wants and then come to a decision on what the team will be next year. It seems to me that would have been discussed to some degree already although I know he can't spill.his guts in a radio interview. It just makes me wonder if he already knows that managent may have a different view of keeping the core together than Drew does.

• Premium Member

The Game 2 question was such B.S. I don't hold blame for Game 2. For us, it would have been better for us to play a tired Rondo than an inspired Celtic team.

I think it was a fair question. Though LD's response was complete horse poo.

• Moderators

Josh needs to stay. LD is a good coach.

LD's biggest failure has been putting Josh in a position to fail offensively (or allowing Josh to put himself in that position). I have a tough time reconciling us investing in Josh for the future and keeping LD as coach.
  • Like 1

3D sounds like he wanted to trade Horf for Dwight Howard. Blockbuster. Josh and Joe stays. Set the city on fire. Yeah...

The more Larry Drew was talking, the more he sounded like a poor coach.

Who in the F* gives an excuse like that for blowing games vs opponents (w/o their key players)???

When asked how did we let Game 2 vs BOS get away and do you talk much about that and how it "in a sense" blew the series...He basically replied by saying "it's natural to let your guard down when facing a team without their key guys..." True, this can happen in sports. But this is basically a nonchalant, unaggressive, "sh* happens" approach/personality coming from a coach.

Without a true star that can lead this team with toughness and fire, Larry Drew will not even get us to the ECF.

WE NEED A REAL LEADER ON THE FLOOR or ON THE SIDELINES.

And with Drew being extended, we won't have one on the sideline next season.

I like what Drew said but he basically is saying what we all know. No one on this team can carry this team on a nightly basis. I've never seen a team without a superstar show up night after night outside of SAS. I remember those Detroit teams not showing up.

• Premium Member

The more Larry Drew was talking, the more he sounded like a poor coach.

Who in the F* gives an excuse like that for blowing games vs opponents (w/o their key players)???

When asked how did we let Game 2 vs BOS get away and do you talk much about that and how it "in a sense" blew the series...He basically replied by saying "it's natural to let your guard down when facing a team without their key guys..." True, this can happen in sports. But this is basically a nonchalant, unaggressive, "sh* happens" approach/personality coming from a coach.

Without a true star that can lead this team with toughness and fire, Larry Drew will not even get us to the ECF.

WE NEED A REAL LEADER ON THE FLOOR or ON THE SIDELINES.

And with Drew being extended, we won't have one on the sideline next season.

the fact that you're the only one pointing this out is the reason this team sucks. Why should they change if the fanbase does not gave a darn about winning. Hell they will keep making the playoffs and getting bounced since that's all the average Hawks fan strive for.

• Premium Member

I like what Drew said but he basically is saying what we all know. No one on this team can carry this team on a nightly basis. I've never seen a team without a superstar show up night after night outside of SAS. I remember those Detroit teams not showing up.

Apparently Duncan isn't a superstar.

Apparently Duncan isn't a superstar.

In the regular season he was good but nothing special. In the playoffs like KG, he's a superstar. Playoffs bring the best out of legends. Edited by nbasuperstar40

The more Larry Drew was talking, the more he sounded like a poor coach.Who in the F* gives an excuse like that for blowing games vs opponents (w/o their key players)??? When asked how did we let Game 2 vs BOS get away and do you talk much about that and how it "in a sense" blew the series...He basically replied by saying "it's natural to let your guard down when facing a team without their key guys..." True, this can happen in sports. But this is basically a nonchalant, unaggressive, "sh* happens" approach/personality coming from a coach.Without a true star that can lead this team with toughness and fire, Larry Drew will not even get us to the ECF.WE NEED A REAL LEADER ON THE FLOOR or ON THE SIDELINES.And with Drew being extended, we won't have one on the sideline next season.

Good post.Drew can't even get us to the second round anymore.Someone please explain to me how Larry Drew is a good coach. I'm all ears.To the people mad at Josh Smith chucking jumpers, Larry Drew doesn't mind it.Smoove will never reach his full potential with Drew.

• Premium Member

Did anyone else catch it when Drew said he has to sit down with management/ownership and see what they want and what he wants and then come to a decision on what the team will be next year. It seems to me that would have been discussed to some degree already although I know he can't spill.his guts in a radio interview. It just makes me wonder if he already knows that managent may have a different view of keeping the core together than Drew does.

Yeah. I caught that and the feeling I got was that he was not opposed to trading some of the core. He just don't want to blow this team up.

• Premium Member

the fact that you're the only one pointing this out is the reason this team sucks. Why should they change if the fanbase does not gave a darn about winning. Hell they will keep making the playoffs and getting bounced since that's all the average Hawks fan strive for.

I actually agree with what LD said but for a different reason.Playing a team without their superstar is usually very difficult. Mainly because you have spent much of your time determining how you will play against the superstar. Unless you have a team full of stars, you can't just put a guy in front of your man and expect any defense your man to use to work. Players have idiosyncrasies, defenders become accoustumed to them. That's why certain players have other players numbers and they might be the worst defender in the world otherwise.So you switch a Rondo for a big SG and guess what, that Big shooting guard is going to eat our guys lunch. Hell, you almost got a repeat in game 3. In game three, Boston couldn't figure out how to stop Tmac playing PF. It is not because TMac is so nice. It's because TMac was not Smoove.However, that's a B.S. question to ask a coach. "hey coach, how'd yall lose that game". Coach: " F. U."What the f is he supposed to say??Since you are so pissed at LD... You be LD.I ask the question..LD, how'd yall let Game 2 slip. That game caused you to lose the series and this season. What happened?

• Premium Member

Good post.

Drew can't even get us to the second round anymore.

Someone please explain to me how Larry Drew is a good coach. I'm all ears.

To the people mad at Josh Smith chucking jumpers, Larry Drew doesn't mind it.

Smoove will never reach his full potential with Drew.

I'll give you the good and bad of LD.

The good of LD.

He's a good X and O guy. He knows how to play the chess game of coaching. What he did with Dwight last year was smart and Ballsy. Everybody said... it was the logical conclusion.. OK.. How many of these great coaches came to that Logical conclusion... ever? I remember Dwight making it all the way to the Finals. None of the coaches he faced, came to that conclusion. His idea of a motion offense will work in this league. Some of his defenses are damn great.

Anytime you lose an allstar C and you win more games than you did the year before... that my friend is coaching.

The Bad of LD.

He's too nice. He needs to bench some guys, he needs to chew some guys out, he needs to argue with some refs. He needs to display more raw emotion when important games are on the line. Why? because it motivates the troops.

It's like we have June Jones. We want Jerry Glanville.

I think LD can learn to be meaner... and maybe meaner comes after he gets a more secure contract. But I would rather have a good X and O guy and hope that he can get some balls to the walls assistants than to have a guy who don't know d*ck about Xs and Os and hope that he can find some X and O assistants.

• Premium Member

Yeah. I caught that and the feeling I got was that he was not opposed to trading some of the core. He just don't want to blow this team up.

Actually he said he was in favor of bringing the same team back, but it sounds like he thinks management may not feel the same. LD wants the same team back because it's safe for him and his resume for future prospective employers. However, in one of his articles, Cunningham said it appeared changes were in order despite the lamenting of the coaches and players for not getting the job done against Boston.

LD is full of crap.Game 2. That no excuse. He shouldve said that the players didnt show up and we shouldve won.Josh shooting 3s..come on LD keep it real. Josh shouldnt be shooting 3s.ugh, i get tired of typing the same stuff over and over again

• Like 1

• Moderators

Always like listening to these audio clips, especially the big names that don't talk about the Hawks much on their respective networks. I really hope the ASG and Sund have something up their sleeves this offseason for next season. I really want this team to start being respected and finally get over that second round hump.