• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Insider Request

EazyRoc

Josh Smith - Smith's future with HawksPosted Image ESPN Insider

Josh Smith has one season remaining on his contract and Michael Cunningham if The Atlanta Journal-Constitution has good insight into his future with the Atlanta Hawks. Cunningham writes: "It bothers Smith he had to create a market for himself to get a satisfactory contract from the Hawks ... The question now is whether Smith can be persuaded to sign an extension with the Hawks. My educated guess is Smith won't do it." The Hawks are limited to what they can do because of their high payroll in the future for just a few players. Their only way to add impact players is through trades, which means Smith may finally get his wish with a trade out of Atlanta. There have been rumors in the past that Boston and Detroit like Smith. Smith's final year of his contract will pay him $13.2 million. -- Nick Borges

He still coulda done it during offseason if he wantedBut smith isn't signing an extension without a raise and do you really want to spend even more money on him?

I would if he wants to stay

Not a good move to spend more money on a greatly inefficient player.

Joe is the perfect example of your statement. However, Josh can still be extremely effective defensively even with his bad shots.

• Premium Member

Joe is the perfect example of your statement. However, Josh can still be extremely effective defensively even with his bad shots.

The defense doesn't make up for his selfish play killing the offense.
  • Like 1

Yes it does. Forgot the key turnover he forced Rondo to commit towards the end of game six ? The fact is that right now Josh Smith is the only guy we have that's going to protect the rim.

• Premium Member

Yes it does. Forgot the key turnover he forced Rondo to commit towards the end of game six ? The fact is that right now Josh Smith is the only guy we have that's going to protect the rim.

What? Remember the ill advised jumper near the end of game six? A game the Hawks lost.

What? Remember the ill advised jumper near the end of game six? A game the Hawks lost.

the same game they wouldn't have had a chance to win without that alley oop from Josh to Al right ?

Guest Walter

The defense doesn't make up for his selfish play killing the offense.

You mean to say the 2nd best defensive win-share player in the league is (at least) the second worst offensive win-share player in the league?!?!This is inane hyperbole. JS is and has always been a net plus. He was even moreso of one this year. People need to realize this. You can want to trade JS for (in this case) highly emotional reasons. OR you can want to trade him because you think you can better the team by aquiring similar talent at another position, save money, or because you cannot be certain JS wants to return here to play in front of fans and ownership that unjustifiably treat him like shit. I would trade ANYONE on this flawed team, but out of all the players JS is the one, if traded, that comes back to kick your ass for it later. W
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

You mean to say the 2nd best defensive win-share player in the league is (at least) the second worst offensive win-share player in the league?!?!This is inane hyperbole. JS is and has always been a net plus. He was even moreso of one this year. People need to realize this. You can want to trade JS for (in this case) highly emotional reasons. OR you can want to trade him because you think you can better the team by aquiring similar talent at another position, save money, or because you cannot be certain JS wants to return here to play in front of fans and ownership that unjustifiably treat him like shit. I would trade ANYONE on this flawed team, but out of all the players JS is the one, if traded, that comes back to kick your ass for it later. W

Lol, "emotional reasons"? I look at how inefficient he was on offense by the numbers, note he wants to be traded and is going into the final year of his deal and that means I want a trade for "emotional reasons". Please.

I wouldn't trade anyone unless the price is right. JS trade can come back and kick your ass, I agree. Smoove will make any team he goes to much better. He's an impact player.

Signing him to an extension should have been done two years ago in my opinion. Another casualty to Sunds dumb rule of not discussing contracts during the season.

Is that even realistic ?When was the last time any player signed an extension 2 years before being a free agency ?I can't remember that ever happening.

I wouldn't trade anyone unless the price is right. JS trade can come back and kick your ass, I agree. Smoove will make any team he goes to much better. He's an impact player.

Not trading Josh Smith will "kick you ass" when he leaves you high and dry for nothing next summer. Edited by coachx
  • Like 2

Not trading Josh Smith will "kick you ass" when he leaves you high and dry for nothing next summer.

I agree, but it's about value as well. Just trading him for no reason or for Pau Gasol is pointless. Now for a lottery pick is completely different.