• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Simple question for the board...

ATL_BALLER

What makes you believe that there will be any significant change to the core this offseason?

I know a lot of the member-generated scenarios are thrown out here for fun, but I am genuinely fascinated by those who think anything bold or creative will actually get done. Knowing ownership as we do, what evidence over the last 5 years gives you that sense? Even with Josh's pending free agency, what about this front office makes you think they'll deal him (let alone for something worthwhile)?

1st, we have not lost a significant draft pick ( good player ) to free agency. Josh wants out, I cannot see the ASG losing him for nothing. 2nd, luxury tax. Resigning Smoove will put us significantly over with JJ's up coming raises and having to resign Teague.I see moves and cannot wait...hurry up and win Spurs. Lets get this over with!

Nothing.

• Premium Member

Honestly....Knowing this ownership group, I see them trotting the same team out on the court. They just don't care about winning. And by "don't care" I'm not saying they aren't concerned about the team. They are concerned for it, just as I am concerned about the non-running, 1994 Neon that sits on the side of my house collecting insects and rust (I bought it new. It's the first car I ever purchased. It's my baby and I'll never get rid of it). What I mean to say is that they are satisfied with the product, they know they can't do anything about the draw, and they're not going to.If something comes along that'll create some buzz? Yeah, they'll do it...if for nothing but to spike sales for a second. So, yeah...they'll make a move. It's just a BONUS that the team NEEDS to make a move. But they know this team can make the playoffs. They know the bandwagon fans and transplants will show up for LA, NY, Boston, Chicago, Miami, and probably even OKC.I doubt they would put us into the lottery though, because they're not going to do anything to lose money.Now...if we had REAL basketball people running the team or just owners who wanted to see REAL revenue...then the obvious choice is to break up this core and get the team out of the middle of the pack. That's just what everyone else does (and they seem to have found out how to make the conference finals).

• Like 1

• Premium Member

What makes you believe that there will be any significant change to the core this offseason?

I know a lot of the member-generated scenarios are thrown out here for fun, but I am genuinely fascinated by those who think anything bold or creative will actually get done. Knowing ownership as we do, what evidence over the last 5 years gives you that sense? Even with Josh's pending free agency, what about this front office makes you think they'll deal him (let alone for something worthwhile)?

When backed into a corner, ASG will make a move.

I liken this to Al Harrington and Josh Childress.

ASG can see the bleakness of what happens if Josh walks. I hope they know that the longer they sit on their hands, the more value they lose for a potential trade of Josh.

They will make a trade this year because otherwise they are back in luxury every year if they keep smooveHe will want a larger contract and every year is raises as well for Marvin/al/Teague/zaza so they cannot keep smoove without being in luxury taxSo if they can't keep smoove even if he wants to stay, they will have to trade himI'm sure theyd prefer to take on less salary so a pick would be perfect to them

• Moderators

My heart says we trade Josh for a top 10 pick or a part of some blockbuster deal and that Marvin will be dealt to Chicago with Hinrich for Noah, but my brain realizes that we have cheap, stubborn owners that will watch Smoove walk out the door and make an excuse that Marvin is making strides and just needs more time. Sigh...

• Moderators

I expect us to return the core for another year. Still, it is fun to consider the alternatives that might be out there if we were a franchise looking to take risks to succeed.Sund's comments in the other thread did suggest that simply returning the same team isn't good enough to achieve the goal of contending for a championship (i.e., being a team in the ECF).

• Premium Member

I could be wrong, but Sund's comment about looking to see what can be done to improve without taking a step back signals they are inclined to make some changes imo. However, I think it will have more to do with not wanting to go into the luxury tax for years just to keep things the way they are.

Edited by Jody23

• Premium Member

I actually have no confidence in the A$G and that is not just a shot at them it is the God's honest truth. These guys are idiots and frankly I can see them holding on to Josh and being "shocked" when he walks as a free agent.

• Like 1

I actually have no confidence in the A$G and that is not just a shot at them it is the God's honest truth. These guys are idiots and frankly I can see them holding on to Josh and being "shocked" when he walks as a free agent.

I don't see it that way. But I do see them possibly sitting on their butts to long and taking what they can get at the deadline or via snt if they get lucky and find a trade partner Smoove really wants to play for.

Any sliver of hope there is that will prevent me from having to read this in a year

When the Hawks meet with Josh Smith in Los Angeles soon after the start of the free-agency negotiating period at 12:01 Thursday they are prepared to offer him a five-year contract for the maximum amount allowed, according to people with knowledge of their plans.

http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2010/06/30/atlanta-hawks-all-in-with-max-offer-for-joe-johnson/

.......is worth entertaining.

• Premium Member

I don't see it that way. But I do see them possibly sitting on their butts to long and taking what they can get at the deadline or via snt if they get lucky and find a trade partner Smoove really wants to play for.

This is definitely the fear. The ASG and Sund may not be shred enough to realize when it's time to sell high. They may not realize that as time passes and Josh nears free agency, the offers for him will not get better, but worse. Furthermore, their idiots if they think Josh puts up the same numbers again with a healthy Horford back in the lineup. Sell high.
  • Like 1