• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Josh Smith vs. The World.

Diesel

• Premium Member

Josh Smith is being proclaimed as a tier 1 player by some here.I am wondering is this homerism?So I have compiled some guys that never ever get tier 1 billing. The question, is Josh Better than them?Josh Smith vs.....BargnaniMilsapAldrichDavid LeeHumphriesGlenn DavisWEST

• Premium Member

Josh Smith is being proclaimed as a tier 1 player by some here.I am wondering is this homerism?So I have compiled some guys that never ever get tier 1 billing. The question, is Josh Better than them?Josh Smith vs.....BargnaniMilsapAldrichDavid LeeHumphriesGlenn DavisWEST

I honestly think Josh is a really good talent, but he's not "tier 1". And yes, I do think he gets overvalued to an extent in these parts simply because he's from Atlanta and because the Hawks drafted him.
  • Like 3

I honestly think Josh is a really good talent, but he's not "tier 1". And yes, I do think he gets overvalued to an extent in these parts simply because he's from Atlanta and because the Hawks drafted him.

Who would you say are the "tier 1" PFs? Josh is certainly over and under valued around here but for me he's definitely in the top tier of PF in the league.

He is from Atlanta and we want him to be star so bad it hurts. Want in one hand, crap in the other, see which one fills up the quickest. Josh has had 7 seasons to become a all world player and he has not even convinced NBA coaches to put him on as a all-star 3rd team reserve. It is time to move on. He knows it and we should know it since it is his trade request.... Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 3

http://hawksquawk.net/community/topic/368515-josh-smith-severely-underrated-and-under-appreciated/Seriously, Glen Davis? Bargs? Hump and Lee? West who did just what I said he would do once he left a PnR PG. Millsap is the only respectable comparison.

• Moderators

I'm not sure anyone is saying Josh is a 'tier 1' whatever that means. To me tier 1 would be Lebron and Kobe so no i don't think Josh is in that league. But if you are comparing him to Glen Davis then please. Davis is a straight up role player. Let me ask something here. If there was an expansion type draft where teams could take any player from the Atlanta Hawks who do you think they would take. Not considering contracts. I think 90% of the league picks Josh Smith.

http://hawksquawk.ne...er-appreciated/Seriously, Glen Davis? Bargs? Hump and Lee? West who did just what I said he would do once he left a PnR PG. Millsap is the only respectable comparison.

LaMarcus Aldridge is better than Josh Smith. Lee and Bargnani are nice but don't impact the game on both ends like Josh does. Millsap isn't far behind Josh but he is behind him.
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Who would you say are the "tier 1" PFs? Josh is certainly over and under valued around here but for me he's definitely in the top tier of PF in the league.

I agree about him being one of the top 4s, even though there are some who are better (Love, Griffin, Aldridge, Bosh, etc.) But throwing position out the window, no he's not a "tier 1" player.

LaMarcus Aldridge is better than Josh Smith. Lee and Bargnani are nice but don't impact the game on both ends like Josh does. Millsap isn't far behind Josh but he is behind him.

Maybe to you, I can't co-sign that and I was unsure about his health then and still am now. LMA at the very least is as impactful as Smith. I will leave it at that. I think none of these PF's are better than the other.LoveGriffinSmithLMAGasolRandolphThe best are TD and Garnett but they play limited minutes so they really don't count. Bosh is the best. He is a two way player and he impacts the game on O/D.

I agree about him being one of the top 4s, even though there are some who are better (Love, Griffin, Aldridge, Bosh, etc.) But throwing position out the window, no he's not a "tier 1" player.

I don't see how Love or Griffin is better than Smith. Same for Aldridge. Edited by Joker

Agreed when you throw position out the window. You can easily argue a case for him against any of those 4's that you mention, but you can also easily argue for any of those 4 against him as well.

Agreed when you throw position out the window. You can easily argue a case for him against any of those 4's that you mention, but you can also easily argue for any of those 4 against him as well.

I don't get how two players who play absolutely no defense is better than Smith. Defense is 50% of the game.

• Premium Member

I can't speak for anyone else, but what makes those guys better imo is there mental approach to the game, their size and overall skill.

I don't get how two players who play absolutely no defense is better than Smith. Defense is 50% of the game.

All 4 of those guys are better scorers than Josh. Love and Aldridge are superior rebounders. Josh is arguably the best defender of the group.

Because blocking shots is for NBA2K12 and is not defense. Its like a steal at best. 1.8 steals aint shit and do not get you on a all defensive or all NBA team.His blocking out and offensive rebounding suck. Now add in his piss poor offense and you have a player who looks great once every five games and very average for the rest. Edited by Buzzard

• Premium Member

Maybe to you, I can't co-sign that and I was unsure about his health then and still am now. LMA at the very least is as impactful as Smith. I will leave it at that. I think none of these PF's are better than the other.LoveGriffinSmithLMAGasolRandolphThe best are TD and Garnett but they play limited minutes so they really don't count. Bosh is the best. He is a two way player and he impacts the game on O/D.I don't see how Love or Griffin is better than Smith. Same for Aldridge.

I don't really like to use one on one matchups as a sole basis for gauging who's better, but they do tell alot. That being said, go back and actually watch Smith play against Love, Griffin and Aldridge. He couldn't guard any of them.

I can't speak for anyone else, but what makes those guys better imo is there mental approach to the game, their size and overall skill.

I appreciate that response but Love or Griffin aren't mental warriors by any stretch. If you are building a team, Love and Griffin over Smith all day but for who's better. I can't say anyone stands out outside of Bosh. They are bigger and more skilled than Josh.

• Premium Member

I appreciate that response but Love or Griffin aren't mental warriors by any stretch. If you are building a team, Love and Griffin over Smith all day but for who's better. I can't say anyone stands out outside of Bosh. They are bigger and more skilled than Josh.

I'm not declaring them mental warriors, but it can't be argued that those guys actually play to their strengths on the floor. Josh does not. That's what I meant by "mental approach". Edited by Jody23
  • Like 1