• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks offer GM position to Ferry

phoostal

The only reason the Hughes deal became bad was because Hughes couldn't stay healthy. How quickly some of you forget what Hughes was doing in Washington before he started getting hurt. It also isn't Ferry's fault that the other guys he tried to sign or trade for (Joe Johnson, Redd, etc) decided to go somewhere else or didn't want to come to Cleveland (Bosh). He is a solid GM, I don't think we're getting Sam Presti here but he's not some bum either.

The only reason the Hughes deal became bad was because Hughes couldn't stay healthy. How quickly some of you forget what Hughes was doing in Washington before he started getting hurt. It also isn't Ferry's fault that the other guys he tried to sign or trade for (Joe Johnson, Redd, etc) decided to go somewhere else or didn't want to come to Cleveland (Bosh). He is a solid GM, I don't think we're getting Sam Presti here but he's not some bum either.

But Hughes needed to distribute the ball to be effective since Gilbert struggled at it and in Cleveland, Lebron did it and did it much better. Hughes was redundant to James. He wasn't a great fit like Joe or Redd but Joe didn't want to play in Cleveland and Redd didn't want to leave Milwaukee. They only had the cap for a year since Lebron was getting max a year later. They basically strike out. Ferry best trade was Damon Jones for Mo Williams. Damon was a decent player next to James but without him, he was below average, Williams was average w/o James but with him he was a borderline All Star. Lebron makes it possible to start undersized combo guards with no PG skills due to his PG skills.

• Premium Member

Ummm.... Well Soth...which Larry Hughes are we talking about?The one I'm talking about was pretty well known as a one dimensional chucker. And an average one at that. This was the consensus shortly after he left Philly. Or at least I thought. Correct me if I am wrong?It's not just Larry Hughes though. And don't get me wrong here, people. I'm not saying Danny Ferry is the next BK. I'm saying he's not really done anything worth talking about. Taken collectively, the teams he created in Cleveland look like "quick fix" at best and *shudder* at their worst. I'm HOPING, as Diesel was reaching for, that this was due to pressure from management and LeBron.

Posted Image

well shit as far as players ferry selected its better than what we been drafting the pass 7 or 8 years outside of smith and horford. what i really like about ferry is that he goes get help when help is needed. as you can see he signed many free agents to try and build a team around lebron though it didnt pay off atleast he tried...i mean we keep the same roster for 3 or 4 years and then say after so many 2nd round exits "we need to get some help!"....and we as fans say "huh...no shit!"

6 years sounds entirely too long but it does sound like the type of job security that means he WOULD have full autonomy if true.It also means that the ASG aren't looking to sell....but not necessarily a bad thing if they've decided to reduce their involvement in the team to just cutting checks and enjoying a game from the recesses of a suite.

i agree it sounds crazy to think the asg is actually giving full authority but goodness man a 6 year deal! i know ferry would have not agreed and left the spurs organization if he didnt have complete authority with these hawks! and to be honest the asg is probably not going to sell this team after making a long year deal like that, so i agree with that as well.i honestly think this is a new beginning for the hawks!

• Premium Member

Ummm.... Well Soth...which Larry Hughes are we talking about?The one I'm talking about was pretty well known as a one dimensional chucker. And an average one at that. This was the consensus shortly after he left Philly. Or at least I thought. Correct me if I am wrong?It's not just Larry Hughes though. And don't get me wrong here, people. I'm not saying Danny Ferry is the next BK. I'm saying he's not really done anything worth talking about. Taken collectively, the teams he created in Cleveland look like "quick fix" at best and *shudder* at their worst. I'm HOPING, as Diesel was reaching for, that this was due to pressure from management and LeBron.

Hughes was also a very good defender in Washington which was another missing piece for Cleveland: another perimeter defender besides Lebron. You go back to that signing and look at the circumstances around it. Ferry only had a one year window with cap space and he tried to get Joe Johnson, Joe doesn't want to go there. He goes for Redd; Redd wants to stay a Buck and then he gets a trade worked out for Bosh but oh sorry, Bosh refuses to play in Cleveland. So he went for his fourth option in Hughes. I don't hold him accountable for injuries. He made a good signing at the time and in the circumstances he was in. Both the ownership and Lebron was demanding he "do something" and he did.

Ferry did a good job in Cleveland, he got unfairly blamed by Lebron and his gang of hanger ons because Lebron couldn't win a ring there.This talk about Ferry being offered a six year deal with full control is baffling. The only way that is possible is if Michael Gearon Jr has had some kind of life changing internal decision to let real basketball people run the Hawks and not insist on his running the show.

Wise-Up!....thats what the other hawk owners did, not necessarily gearon! im sure gearon still wants to run the show but its the other owners against him in this situation maybe....i guess for once it was actually good that we have mutiple owners and not just one! lolbesides a 6 year deal! also to mention that ferry has made himself more well known probably because of lebron, im sure the asg is giving him his wishes of full authority but im also sure there are some "but if's" in his contract. so hopefully he does what needs to so the hawks can win.

• Premium Member

We can give Ferry credit for making changes and building a team around LeBron. We can't really compare that to what Sund did because the Cavaliers spent money and they gave their GM the freedom to spend the money how he wanted. This isn't something to be praising Danny Ferry for. This is basic front office management - hire the right people and get out of their way.Let's clear this up about Joe Johnson. Because now that we have the GM that passed on him, it seems as if we want to go back and rewrite what happened. I feel like I've been living in an alternate reality, because I do not remember those years the way some of you do.Joe Johnson wanted out of Phoenix. He wanted out for two reasons. The first reason was because he was the fourth option behind Steve Nash, Amare Stoudemire, and Shawn Marion. He wanted to prove that he could handle a team and that his game was bigger than that. This was a huge part in him actually accepting the contract with us. He had the spotlight and the stage. Am I the ONLY person on this board that remembers reading this over and over...excited that there was ACTUALLY a free agent that wanted to BE here? Remember what franchise we're talking about now....We can argue that Cleveland was LeBron's team and he would have deferred to him, but being #2 is a far cry from #3 or #4. Moreover, there was no guarantee he was going to be our #1 because we had already picked up THREE players that we figured could and SHOULD fill that role. Let's not revise history here. Let's go back to 2005...Marvin Williams was our #2 draft pick, Chill was our #4, and for all intents, Josh Smith should have been a lottery pick as well. Joe Johnson may have already been established as a dependable scorer, but he was not an All Star and was in no way guaranteed to be the man before any one of those guys back then. So, what would have been so much more different about Cleveland? Just a player that EVERYBODY knew would be an NBA Champion one day. Joe would have signed in Cleveland had they made the offer. THEY DIDN'T, but we'll get to that in a second.The other reason why JJ wanted out of Phoenix, and this was probably the biggest, was that he felt Phoenix disrespected him in the contract negotiations - for a couple of seasons at that. Joe wanted money and yes, he could have gotten that in Cleveland too. This is where we're trying to revise things. Phoenix was not going to match a max offer for JJ. They put on a show to drive up the price on a sign and trade. Once Phoenix started telling everybody that they intended to match the max offer for JJ, that's when Cleveland dropped interest. This surprised the hell out of me because I thought for sure they would sign him and was DAMN happy to hear that we were the front runners.They could have jumped in there to make the same offer we did. They didn't because they were afraid that Phoenix would match and probably moreso because they were unsure of whether or not JJ was worth a max offer. There was no pressure from LeBron here. To be honest, the Cavs were probably still in rebuild mode.In any case, Joe Johnson was the guy Cleveland should have went after. They didn't. The guy that chose Larry Hughes instead is coming to run our franchise. That same guy built the team that ran LeBron out of town. Again, I'm taking a wait and see attitude...because this is a new team and a new day for Danny Ferry. But I'm not impressed by what he did in Cleveland. Not at all.