• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks offer GM position to Ferry

phoostal

• Premium Member

The one thing I will say for Ferry was that he tried to improve the Cavs roster. Lot of people blame him for surrounding LeBron with junk, I don't.

Some think you can trade your junk players and get all stars but it doesn't work that way. He had bad players around Lebron which wasn't entirely of his doing but Paxson who was there before him. He had to take risks and bad contracts to try to improve the roster. It didn't pay off in the end but he tried to shake up that roster to make it happen.

Nobody is going to take your junk and give you all star players in return. Some have a hard time believing that. I want to know who was he suppose to trade for and what garbage players on the Cavs were going to get that person?

P

Paxon was gone before the end of the Cavs' 2005 season. In steps Ferry. Summer 2005, he balks at the Suns who said they would resign Joe Johnson at all costs...and picks Larry Hughs. Couldn't get the Amare Stoudemire deal done, but brings in an essentially washed up Antawn Jamison - who was, at best, the poster boy for tweeners at the peak of his career.

Mo Williams...? Grandaddy Shaq...? Damon Jones...? Ben Wallace on a team that desperately needs a true 2nd option? I'm not saying these are terrible moves. They aren't. But where is the homerun here? What did he do that was so great in Cleveland that makes our situation look that much brighter?

I'm a little excited by the change, just because it's change and we have a guy that MIGHT be given control. But I'm going to wait and see before I jump up and down for joy. Ferry wasn't a horrible GM and he had the right idea, but I'm not impressed with the actual results he produced. Not for the player that he had in his pocket. If you really want to get technical and you want a real answer to the question of what they could have done...

Ferry should have signed Joe Johnson (which at the time, I thought for sure they would have) and threatened Phoenix with a max deal like we did. They should have made the deal that we did (a better one) and that would have significantly changed their fate.

Edited by Wretch

Michael Redd was the one they should have signed but he didn't want to leave Milwaukee and Joe wasn't interested in playing in Cleveland. Phoenix didn't want to trade Amare. Jones was useful in Cleveland as was Mo Williams who they traded Jones for.

Edited by Joker

• Premium Member

Here's my take on Ferry's time in Cleveland.He had some mighty good draft picks: JJ Hickson, Shannon Brown, Daniel Gibson. He was pretty shrewd in some of his trades as well. He's a guy who will not cause the ship to turn up.His part in the Lebron ending is this. He had a lot of pressure from Dan Gilbert to take directions from Lebron. The Cavs had been to the Championship game but King James wanted a better team around him because he didn't want to work so hard. So Ferry at the bequest of the king went out and got Shaq and Jamison in an attempt to put a team on the floor that could beat the Magic.The King and co. loss to the Celtics and under more pressure the next time, Ferry quit.I think being a part of San Antonio's system, Ferry knows how to build a team.

If, and this is a huge IF, he does have the keys to the franchise, then I'm willing to give him a chance. However, I have my serious doubts as to how much freedom he will actually have.

It is not like Ferry isn't wanted elsewhere. Why would he choose the Hawks if he wasn't given control? Edited by GameTime

It is promising that he's coming from San Antonio, but I'm not a fan of his Cavs work. Not at all. What this guy did led to "The Decision." And nobody is concerned about that?Moreover, looking at his body of work there, I don't think see a guy that would come in here and make wholesale changes (which is what I want). Seems like he would try to make the best of the situation (just like the "meh" moves he made in Cleveland) and he would do so within the limits of what our ownership will allow.Doesn't necessarily mean gloom and doom, but I'm not jumping for joy here...What are the highlights of his tenure in Cleveland? Larry Hughes...? Antawn Jamison...? Mo Williams...? Shaq...? And you have one of the best, if not THE best players in the league? Anybody with a basketball mind will look at this team and see the potential. I think he will look at this team and see the potential and a) not make the big changes that are necessary and b) well...we see the help that LeBron got.Not to be a Negative Nancy.....but I'm going to do some serious waitin' and seein' on this one.

Brons decision was made when their owner decided to trust Boozer and allowed him to become a UFA. That really squashed the Cavs rebuilding process and that is all on the owner and his naivety. Boozer, BigZ, and Bron was a hell of a front court when you look at what the east had back then.

• Premium Member

Here's my take on Ferry's time in Cleveland.He had some mighty good draft picks: JJ Hickson, Shannon Brown, Daniel Gibson. He was pretty shrewd in some of his trades as well. He's a guy who will not cause the ship to turn up.His part in the Lebron ending is this. He had a lot of pressure from Dan Gilbert to take directions from Lebron. The Cavs had been to the Championship game but King James wanted a better team around him because he didn't want to work so hard. So Ferry at the bequest of the king went out and got Shaq and Jamison in an attempt to put a team on the floor that could beat the Magic.The King and co. loss to the Celtics and under more pressure the next time, Ferry quit.I think being a part of San Antonio's system, Ferry knows how to build a team.

Y'know... I hope so Diesel. I know for a fact they could have gotten Joe Johnson, and they should have. The Stoudemire deal was said to be nearly done, so you have to wonder what happened there. Some say Kerr turned him down, other say the Cavs didn't put enough on the table. One thing is certain, Bron was drafted Summer 2003, Ferry was hired Summer 2005. This is the guy that built LeBron's teams. He didn't inherit a team full of scrubs, he brought them in. LeBron said "get me talent", but did he do the actual GM-ing? Did LeBron handpick his team?Joe Johnson was the deal to make. Getting Amare would have been the coup and probably the title. As it were...I'm just hoping like you said that he learned something from San Antonio and that pressure from LeBron was the biggest factor in his meh moves at Cleveland. I gotta say that the prospectus doesn't look too rosy given that we have nothing like a LeBron.(...and here I thought there was no such thing as "pressure" in professional sports. lol)

Joe didn't want to play in Cleveland. Phoenix never was big on the deal. They met and talked about it like they did with Atlanta for Steve Nash. Nothing came of it. It never was that real but it was talked about and they met.

According to the conditions for Ferry is that he has all the power over every aspect of the organization. If this is truly the case can we expect the core to be traded? Can we expect a new coach, even though we extended Drew for another year? Can we expect salary constraints? Only time will tell I guess.P

why would they give him the authority they never gave to Sund? I'll believe it when I see it.

It is promising that he's coming from San Antonio, but I'm not a fan of his Cavs work. Not at all. What this guy did led to "The Decision." And nobody is concerned about that?Moreover, looking at his body of work there, I don't think see a guy that would come in here and make wholesale changes (which is what I want). Seems like he would try to make the best of the situation (just like the "meh" moves he made in Cleveland) and he would do so within the limits of what our ownership will allow.Doesn't necessarily mean gloom and doom, but I'm not jumping for joy here...What are the highlights of his tenure in Cleveland? Larry Hughes...? Antawn Jamison...? Mo Williams...? Shaq...? And you have one of the best, if not THE best players in the league? Anybody with a basketball mind will look at this team and see the potential. I think he will look at this team and see the potential and a) not make the big changes that are necessary and b) well...we see the help that LeBron got.Not to be a Negative Nancy.....but I'm going to do some serious waitin' and seein' on this one.

If Danny Ferry accepts this position this is huge for the Hawks...He will definitely put his stamp on the team right way...Basketball Gods please let him accept then please let us finally draft a quality Center...He did put the team together that sent Cleveland to the finals twice..you cant complain about that...sh#t as a Hawks fans just get me to the conference finals and that is huge....with that being said 2nd place in the East is up for grabs with Rose being out for majority of the year...Now is the time to make some smart moves...and a Smart GM is orchestrate that...

http://20secondtimeout.blogspot.com/2009/04/cavs-build-29-point-lead-coast-to-94-82.html

Ferry: "I read the article. I thought that it was a good article. I believe in using statistical analysis as part of your decision making process. Every team will look at things and do things differently based off of how they read the stats but I think it definitely has a place in studying the draft and it definitely has a place in studying in free agency and it has a place in getting ready for games."

Ferry: "I think that you can get accurate metrics for basketball but you also have to understand that it is a static thing and that whether it is baseball, whether it is football or anything, to just make decisions off of statistics would be a mistake but it can be an important part of the equation in basketball. I believe it can be."

Ferry: "You can look at points per possession, you can look at pace of play. There are a lot of different numbers--plus/minus statistics for players, adjusted plus/minus statistics for players, rebound rates. There are all different kinds of things that you can look at from a team standpoint and also from an individual player standpoint."

I am officially extremely excited about this move. Word is the Hawks have offered Danny a 6 year deal with full authority over everything with the Hawks. If this is true, then what I was talking about in a previous post may come to fruition. The Hawks will not base everything around advanced stats the way Daryl Morey and the Rockets are, but they will use it as a tool to aid them, probably to a greater extent than what the Spurs do.

I'm ready for some change on this team. I'm tired of this core and mediocrity. I'd be happy giving him 6 years to see what he can do with this franchise. We really have nowhere to go but up. Meaning we can tank and rebuild or acquire the right players and improve, rather than continuing to live in 1st/2nd round playoff purgatory. Atleast this would be change and I'm ok with that.