• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks offer GM position to Ferry

phoostal

This could really backfire if the ASG has really given Ferry total control. He's been good but the guy always fills his team up with old veterans.. I mean look at his resume.. Why not offer the job to Phil Jackson, Hubie Brown, or Nique???

Nique?Have you heard this guy's play by play? You really want him running the show?

6 years sounds entirely too long but it does sound like the type of job security that means he WOULD have full autonomy if true.It also means that the ASG aren't looking to sell....but not necessarily a bad thing if they've decided to reduce their involvement in the team to just cutting checks and enjoying a game from the recesses of a suite.

• Premium Member

Ferry did a good job in Cleveland, he got unfairly blamed by Lebron and his gang of hanger ons because Lebron couldn't win a ring there.This talk about Ferry being offered a six year deal with full control is baffling. The only way that is possible is if Michael Gearon Jr has had some kind of life changing internal decision to let real basketball people run the Hawks and not insist on his running the show.

• Premium Member

Ferry did a great job in Cleveland. I would like to see what he could do here with our personal.

Posted Image

Edited by NineOhTheRino

• Moderators

It is promising that he's coming from San Antonio, but I'm not a fan of his Cavs work. Not at all. What this guy did led to "The Decision." And nobody is concerned about that?

Moreover, looking at his body of work there, I don't think see a guy that would come in here and make wholesale changes (which is what I want). Seems like he would try to make the best of the situation (just like the "meh" moves he made in Cleveland) and he would do so within the limits of what our ownership will allow.

Doesn't necessarily mean gloom and doom, but I'm not jumping for joy here...

What are the highlights of his tenure in Cleveland? Larry Hughes...? Antawn Jamison...? Mo Williams...? Shaq...? And you have one of the best, if not THE best players in the league? Anybody with a basketball mind will look at this team and see the potential. I think he will look at this team and see the potential and a) not make the big changes that are necessary and b) well...we see the help that LeBron got.

Not to be a Negative Nancy.....but I'm going to do some serious waitin' and seein' on this one.

This is also my reaction. The Cleveland years are discouraging. The best thing I can say for him is that he probably learned some new approaches in SA.

Posted Image

Exactly. Highly unimpressive.

I will say that whoever is our next GM does need actual authority so if the rumors are true, I am not loving the candidate but I am loving hiring a basketball mind and empowering them to make their own decisions.

His draft picks were pretty solid considering they are all late 1st rounders and he actually got useful players in the 2nd rounders (we just sell our 2nd rounders now because we don't know how to scout apparently). His trades weren't that bad either except for the last one but he was also under LeBron's pressure to do something then.

• Premium Member

This is also my reaction. The Cleveland years are discouraging. The best thing I can say for him is that he probably learned some new approaches in SA.

Exactly. Highly unimpressive.

I will say that whoever is our next GM does need actual authority so if the rumors are true, I am not loving the candidate but I am loving hiring a basketball mind and empowering them to make their own decisions.

I'm glad I'm not the only one just a little concerned here... This is not Billy Knight or Pete Babcock, but people are celebrating like we just landed a GM of the year. I just do not see what everyone is so excited about with this guy. Having full control and a nice 6 year cushion - THAT is something to be excited about. But his body of work, notsomuch.

As much as Diesel reaches at times, I really want to believe his angle on Ferry in Cleveland. Otherwise, your looking at the guy that built the most uninspiring cast of supporting characters for one of the best players in all of pro sports right now (and yes everybody, I am a LeBron hater...but the man is talented. Give him his due please.).

You know I think some of us is half glass empty guysFirst of all, every GM in all sports has questionable decisions, heck even R.C. Burford has his moments and plus Danny Ferry was trying to put pieces around Lebron so they can win the Championship and they almost did, by the way. Its hard trying to please not only superstar player but his owner as well (Dan Gilbert) Heck if you want to look at draft history and FA signings, you can see some crazy stuff but that is trail and error.If this signing comes to pass (with 76ers pulling out), this does two things for us, one, it will bring a outside view to this team, someone that is brand new and bring his own spin of things (if he has full control) and two, it can bring back a spark to this team, that actually need it. Even know that they were blowout and under-achieve in playoffs, Thomas Dimioff(sp?) did that for the Falcons when they selected him as their GM and hopefully he can do the same as well.

Edited by NekiEcko

• Moderators

His draft picks were pretty solid considering they are all late 1st rounders and he actually got useful players in the 2nd rounders (we just sell our 2nd rounders now because we don't know how to scout apparently). His trades weren't that bad either except for the last one but he was also under LeBron's pressure to do something then.

His best moves were solid. Drafting Boogie is solid. It isn't drafting Dejaun Blair, Manu, Boozer, etc. Mo Williams was a solid addition. Trading for Flip Murray was another solid move but then Ferry just let him walk for peanuts.A lot of his moves were fodder transactions - nothing particularly meaningful. Signing Lorenzen Wright, Joe Smith, etc. or trading for Cedric Simmons don't wow me.His worst moves are really bad. Signing Larry Hughes, David Wesley, Damon Jones, etc. were very bad moves.It is not a surprise that he inherited the two best players on the team during the Lebron era: Lebron and Sideshow Bob.

Billy Knight made better moves than this guy made. Drafting Smoove, getting Bibby for nothing, getting JJ a legit all star player here when not many thought he could become one. I dont think Ferry ever made a trade better than the one Sund made for Crawford either.

I'll wait and see what he does before passing judgment in any direction. If there was any team in the league that needed change, a jolt, hell, SOMETHING to happen to help get them out of the morass they have been in, this is it. Besides, did anyone expect Sam Presti or R.C. Buford to come running through that door, given our history?Let's put him to work and see what he does before we reach a verdict....

His track record doesn't look any better than Sund but he wasn't giving bad contracts around outside of Hughes .

• Premium Member

I'll wait and see what he does before passing judgment in any direction. If there was any team in the league that needed change, a jolt, hell, SOMETHING to happen to help get them out of the morass they have been in, this is it. Besides, did anyone expect Sam Presti or R.C. Buford to come running through that door, given our history?Let's put him to work and see what he does before we reach a verdict....

I agree with what you're saying here and I'm actually excited that we may actually be trying to win - or at least be looking at change. That's definitely a positive. However, I'm not going to give the man praise for an average job done in Cleveland."OMG! He built a team that went to the finals!" Yeah...well, give the man some credit for putting those teams together, but was it his shrewd GM-ing that produced the playoff results - or was it mostly a phenomenal athlete that led the team? I'm taking a very cautious wait and see attitude.

• Premium Member

The only reason the Hughes deal became bad was because Hughes couldn't stay healthy. How quickly some of you forget what Hughes was doing in Washington before he started getting hurt. It also isn't Ferry's fault that the other guys he tried to sign or trade for (Joe Johnson, Redd, etc) decided to go somewhere else or didn't want to come to Cleveland (Bosh). He is a solid GM, I don't think we're getting Sam Presti here but he's not some bum either.

• Like 1