• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

If JJ averages mid 20's with efficient shooting for the Nets.....

HawkItus

What will it mean? I've always wondered what we could have gotten from Joe with a Chris Paul, Nash, or Deron. If he excels in Brooklyn does it make people rethink there stance? Also, do we get killed in the media again? Will it hurt our chances at another All-Star if he plays really well and makes our team look like the problem?

It is nearly impossible for a 30 year old who is notorious for 3 FT attempts a game with no ability to drive hard or play at the rim to average over 20 on 45% shooting. He has to be the only option on the court and 5 years younger. Avery Johnson will most certainly make Joe's primary focus on the defensive end, most notably sharpening DeRon's and Marshon's skills in practice. I know I'd much rather have either of them isolated in their sweet spots than Joe.

Of course we'll get killed in the media. All of those who said that getting rid of JJ's contract was a good thing, will all of a sudden backtrack and ask . . "why didn't the Hawks ever draft a true PG to play alongside JJ to maximize his ability"?As for the Hawks, none of them will care about the Hawks ( unless we get Dwight Howard ). If Josh Smith is our biggest star, it's not like he's going to secure a lot of National TV games for us. Matter of fact, I'll say we'll get 2 National TV games tops. Meanwhile, expectations for the Nets will be elevated, and people will be curious to see games in the new arena. So they'll get more games nationally.

I see getting an efficient 20-21 ppg.

He can do that. He was not far from 20 this year. He will get more open shots because of playing with Lopez and Deron who both require a lot of attention. People are okay with letting Josh shoot all day that is why he was always open. He got 18 in a system where he was the only guy that people would not leave open last year.

Of course he can, he wont be the entire defensive focus of other teams, but on the other hand he has more natural scorers/shooters around him so he will not be called upon to carry the offensive load. So I can see him taking less shots but being more efficient.

Joe only took like 15.5 shots per game last year and he averaged 18.8 points, give him 1 or 2 more shots and he will easily crack 20. That's 20 points on 16 or 17 shots, not terribly efficient but 20 either way you look at it. So to answer the question, yes he can crack 20 EASILY, but whether or not it will maintain his efficiency or increase it is the question. Like Benny mentioned, averaging 20 efficiently while getting to the freethrow line only 4 times a game is very hard to do in this league. If the nets find out a way to get Joe to the free throw line more then his chances of increasing his efficiency increases.If there is one thing Joe excells at, it's his scoring, and with Deron in the mix Joe could score more because he and Deron will get most of the Net's shot attempts.

• Premium Member

Mid 20s in the modern NBA is a hard sell - doubly so in the East. Only four players averaged more than 24ppg last year. I think the main benefit for JJ of playing in Brooklyn is that he'll get to go back to being off the ball like he was in Phoenix. The lower defensive attention should make him slightly more efficient from the field. Unlike in Phoenix, he'll get more touches - probably ~16 FGAs per game rather than ~14. I think 18-20ppg with about a .530 eFG% (and ~.570 TS%) will be about right.The main benefit for the Nets, however, is that JJ off the ball means a much more efficient and fast-paced team. We used JJ as the de facto PG on at least a third of our possessions for the past 4 years (and more like 50% of possessions before that). That made our pace slower and resulted in a lot of rushed or low-percentage shots at the end of the shot clock. That won't happen if JJ is only initiating the offense on relatively rare occasions.In short, I think that JJ himself will, on paper, look about the same next year as he did this past year. But playing off the ball will give an efficiency boost to his team. That will make him a "better" player in the ways that matter most, even though it won't show up much on the stat sheets.

• Like 1