Merged: Hawks sign Lou Williams

Mutombolievable

I continue to see people ignoring the numbers and basing their view off appearance. Saying that Lou can't defend comPletely ignores the fact that he has produced the same amount of defensive win shares as joe Johnson and holds his opponent to a similar PER. But joe is taller so he must be a better defender.

Lou is so awesome that Philly didn't keep him. Dude struggles to shoot 40 % and he doesn't rebound, pass or anything. Undersized SG.

20.2 PER and 0.173 WS48 this past season, and he is 25 years old with ascending numbers over the past three years. He held the guy he was defending this past year to a PER of less than 12. Very good all around player and one of Dwight's and Josh's friends. The Hawks essentially replaced Joe Johnson's production at a quarter of the cost.

You know I'm no huge fan of JJ, but call me when Lou puts up 18/4/4 on 45% shooting from the field and 38% shooting in three's. If he is so awesome, Philly would have kept him at the middle exception price. What this team needs is the chance to draft a legit star. Not form a rag tag team that will squeeze into the playoffs, that will accomplish nothing, and it will not get the Hawks the player they need in the draft most likely. Edited by Hotlanta1981

I know that the backcourt is starting to look really congested, but I really, really like all of these guys. They can all knock down shots, and they all have a lot of intensity and swagger. I will be sad to see one of them go if that's what the Hawks choose to do, but it will be for the best as there might not be enough PT to go around (unless you slot Morrow at SF, which isn't ideal).

You know I'm no huge fan of JJ, but call me when Lou puts up 18/4/4 on 45% shooting from the field and 38% shooting in three's. If he is so awesome, Philly would have kept him at the middle exception price. What this team needs is the chance to draft a legit star. Not form a rag tag team that will squeeze into the playoffs, that will accomplish nothing, and it will not get the Hawks the player they need in the draft most likely.

I think there is something to be said for a "rag tag team" with a lot of heart and chemistry, as long as you have some All-Star caliber players (which we have: Josh, Al). The Mavs, Pistons, and even the Spurs had teams that fit that bill when they won their titles. Danny Ferry is bringing that Spurs model over here and I am excited to see how it works. This will be a fun team to cheer for against the stacked teams in the league. Edited by atlbraves93

He has stepped up his game over the past couple of years and is right in his prime at 25. Phily is up there near the tax, perhaps they didn't cut him loose for no reason.He will be the 5th highest paid player, so continued results are expected. We don't have a star guard, but we have depth.

You know I'm no huge fan of JJ, but call me when Lou puts up 18/4/4 on 45% shooting from the field and 38% shooting in three's. If he is so awesome, Philly would have kept him at the middle exception price. What this team needs is the chance to draft a legit star. Not form a rag tag team that will squeeze into the playoffs, that will accomplish nothing, and it will not get the Hawks the player they need in the draft most likely.

He's being paid $5 million-ish. JJ is being paid $19 million-ish. You wanna tell me that JJ is produces nearly 4 times more than Lou and therefore justifies that salary difference?

The Lou signing tells me something else. Teague is definately in play and Harris is the starting PG on opening night.

That's my impression as well. I'd hate to lose Jeffrey but we're more than set with Harris and Lou manning the spot. Next year we can replace Harris with CP3 or another PG or maybe even re-sign him.

He's being paid $5 million-ish. JJ is being paid $19 million-ish. You wanna tell me that JJ is produces nearly 4 times more than Lou and therefore justifies that salary difference?

I'm simply saying that Lou Williams isn't as good. Lou... Phily didn't really trust him to give him 30MPG plus. They didn't want to keep him for this so called "bargin price". He struggles to shoot the ball, and doesn't do much of anything else in terms of rebounding and passing. What is Lou going to help this team do? Maybe squeak into the playoffs, which will result in very little is good.

I'm simply saying that Lou Williams isn't as good. Lou... Phily didn't really trust him to give him 30MPG plus. They didn't want to keep him for this so called "bargin price". He struggles to shoot the ball, and doesn't do much of anything else in terms of rebounding and passing. What is Lou going to help this team do? Maybe squeak into the playoffs, which will result in very little is good.

By this logic, you could say that Manu Ginobili doesn't really help the Spurs. Lou is a very efficient offensive player and a good signing for the Hawks. Edited by atlbraves93

My guess is that we put the Joe trade in as non-simultaneous on our end to generate a TPE then used that for Lou. That or we used the MLE. Hard to tell exactly until we see the details on the deal, but I was kind of under the impression that Lou would command more than the MLE and we don't have cap space. Maybe he accepted less to return home. Was Lou on the Atlanta Celtics?

Louis played for the Georgia Stars.

By this logic, you could say that Manu Ginobili doesn't really help the Spurs. Lou is a very efficient offensive player and a good signing for the Hawks.

Have the Spurs let Gino go for the mid level exception? Mano is a more all around player that Lou Williams has ever been. Lou Williams is a waste of money.

• Moderators

We had better swing for the fences here if we are adding guys like Lou Williams. He is a productive bench scorer but not someone you want around for rebuilding. We need Dwight to make this move work.

Who says that Philly didn't want to keep him at this price? For all we know they offered as much, possibly less, possibly more but finally got a good enough offer from Atlanta to get home. A place where he's wanted to play for years.

Have the Spurs let Gino go for the mid level exception? Mano is a more all around player that Lou Williams has ever been. Lou Williams is a waste of money.

Philadelphia has been taking heat for letting Williams go. The move by Atlanta has been getting praised as a steal. Let's break this down.

I'm simply saying that Lou Williams isn't as good.

You don't usually expect a player making $5m to produce at the same level as a player making around $20m.

Lou... Phily didn't really trust him to give him 30MPG plus.

You could say the same for Ginobili. He still helped his team a ton. Most sixth men don't play a lot more than 30 minutes.

He struggles to shoot the ball, and doesn't do much of anything else in terms of rebounding and passing. What is Lou going to help this team do? Maybe squeak into the playoffs, which will result in very little is good.

He does shoot the ball well. What else can you expect out of a 6'1" shooting guard? I could see your point if we were paying him a ton of money, but we are not. For a player of his skill level, we got a pretty good deal.