• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

****Dwight Howard Discussion Thread****

BusBoyIsBack

Is there any professional sports player that willfully allowed his marketability to plummet more precipitously, without either getting in legal trouble or engaging in antics related to his zipper? ~lw3

"No worries, Dwight. Once you get that sweet sweet endorsement clause for going to a big market all will be forgiven" ~Dwight ~yes, I expect Dwight does speak to himself in the 3rd person.
  • Like 2

• Moderators

Is there any professional sports player that willfully allowed his marketability to plummet more precipitously, without either getting in legal trouble or engaging in antics related to his zipper? ~lw3

John Rocker?

• Moderators

John Rocker?

Rocker was one of the first I thought of, but he was technically never as high in popularity and marketability as Dwight was (or has been). Rocker's collapse came after what, his first full season as a closer? ~lw3

• Moderators

Rocker was one of the first I thought of, but he was technically never as high in popularity and marketability as Dwight was (or has been). Rocker's collapse came after what, his first full season as a closer? ~lw3

I get that. Rocker was never a real superstar. How about Mark McGwire? Pete Rose (his legal troubles [tax evasion] came after the gambling destroyed his reputation)? Alex Rodriguez is probably in there as far as a guy who could have been a marketing superstar but shot himself in the foot over and over. Lebron James is certainly in there (he already bottomed out and is in full rehab mode). I am sure I am missing others.

• Premium Member

If this new deal goes thru as it's now structured, Dwight will be teaming up with a 34 year old Kobe and 39 year old Nash. Does he really want to sign long term there? I can't imagine their cap situation will be that great and Kobe is and Nash both are under contract for two more years.

• Admin

If this new deal goes thru as it's now structured, Dwight will be teaming up with a 34 year old Kobe and 39 year old Nash. Does he really want to sign long term there? I can't imagine their cap situation will be that great and Kobe is and Nash both are under contract for two more years.

Yes because LA is the biggest market and also players always flock to LA so with Kobe and Nash on their way out top players will always come in to replace them.

• Premium Member

Yes because LA is the biggest market and also players always flock to LA so with Kobe and Nash on their way out top players will always come in to replace them.

I don't see the Lakers as title contenders with just Dwight, Nash and Kobe. I think OKC still beats them. Furthermore, who exactly is going to come sign there in two years that will make them a title contender? In two years, will Kobe hang them up or will he stay and take a pay cut.

I don't see the Lakers as title contenders with just Dwight, Nash and Kobe. I think OKC still beats them. Furthermore, who exactly is going to come sign there in two years that will make them a title contender? In two years, will Kobe hang them up or will he stay and take a pay cut.

Well, every single major free agent (save for Joe Johnson and Boozer, you know, because they were more concerned with being paid than having the flexibility to pursue a championship) has an opt out/ETO in 2014. That's Bron, Melo, Wade, Bosh, Amar'e, Gay and ZBo...even Bargnani then unrestricted guys like Dirk, Deng, Pau, Granger, and Pierce to round it out. A good number of those guys would love to go play in LA with Dwight. Then a lot of the 2013 guys, especially the RFA's, could just take their QO in order to be unrestricted the next year with a prime destination opening up. Edited by MaceCase

• Premium Member

I dont know everything going on in the background with the Hawks BUT if Ferry looses the DH deal in Atlanta via trade, DH IS NOT coming to Atlanta as a free agent. San Antionio did not win a championship without a superstar and NO superstar is going to sign with Atlanta as a free agent. If this deal goes through then it soulds like to me that Ferry has played the game and puller the hammer with one in the chamber.I would trade Horf or Smoove either one for Bynum in this deal. Horf and JS are not in the top 20% of players in this league and never will be.

• Moderators

Horf and JS are not in the top 20% of players in this league and never will be.

That statement is insane to me. 478 players played in the league last season. 20% of 478 is 95.6. So Smoove and Horf aren't in the top 95 players in the NBA? Crazy. Even if you take absolute minimum rosters 30 x 13 = minimum of 390 players in the NBA. 20% of 390 is 78. Josh and Smoove aren't in the top 78 players in the league? Again, I can't come close to buying into this.

sources says that dwight going to the lakers is done. The dream is dead. Posted Image and the sixers get bynum for freaking iggy, moe harkless, 1st round pick and vuviec or w.e his name is.

DAMN YOU FERRY. WE COULD OF ATLEAST BEEN PART OF THE DEAL TO GET BYNUM. the hell are we going to do now? use all of our cap space to max out teague and smoove???

Edited by yungsta
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Pretty sad return for Orlando. They keep almost all their bad contracts and get nothing but protected first rounders and a mid-first from this year and this is somehow superior to Houston's package?

• Premium Member

As much as I hate this trade for a lot of reasons the fact Orlando couldn't even unload but what, one? bad contract while taking back scraps for the best center in the game is just laughably bad in terms of front office ability.

• Moderators

As much as I hate this trade for a lot of reasons the fact Orlando couldn't even unload but what, one? bad contract while taking back scraps for the best center in the game is just laughably bad in terms of front office ability.

And the one they unloaded was the most palatable. A $6M/year contract on a guy who has been useful quite recently is the most you can unload with Dwight fracking Howard?

How in the world does LA get this done basically swapping Bynum and Howard. How is it that the Lakers can always consistently come away with these albatrosses of trades. They get Dwight Howard and all they have to give up is Bynum and a future first? How could we not offer something better than that package?

Yes yes, it's Orlando's fault for the package they got.......not Dwight and his agent for limiting his market to only 3 teams. If you guys actually think of it in that terms (reality) then without having to wait to January this was the best package for Orlando.

• Premium Member

That statement is insane to me. 478 players played in the league last season. 20% of 478 is 95.6. So Smoove and Horf aren't in the top 95 players in the NBA? Crazy. Even if you take absolute minimum rosters 30 x 13 = minimum of 390 players in the NBA. 20% of 390 is 78. Josh and Smoove aren't in the top 78 players in the league? Again, I can't come close to buying into this.

You are correct, I stand corrected. I meant to say they are not in the top 15.