• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

All of the sudden I dont feel so good..........

Vol4ever

• Premium Member

about this whole thing...........I applaud the trade that moved JJ's contratbutIf we dont get Howard the championship contending idea over the next 3 years is out the window, up in smoke.The roster we have at the moment is not a contender. I dont hink this is the roster we go to camp with.butWe have to get a INSIDE scoring player.............period. We have shooters in the house now which I like but if you live by the jumper you DIE by the jumper. Weve been there done that.I really dont think any superstar free agent player is going to sign with us next summer. If we dont get one via trade its not happening.To all of those who say trade Josh and blow it up...........................theat means you HOPE to get a top pick in the lottery, and if you are LUCKY enough to get that top pick, you HOPE there is a potential superstar player to pick.Ive heard about enough of hope and change for a while............................

• Premium Member

this roster could not hang with me and 5 random rec center scrubs.We're basically the Toronto Raptors.but...I'm happy the team has possibilities. That's 90% of the battle for me. The old team had no chance and no possibilities with Joe soaking up all the resources.

Edited by NineOhTheRino
  • Like 1

about this whole thing........... I applaud the trade that moved JJ's contrat but If we dont get Howard the championship contending idea over the next 3 years is out the window, up in smoke. The roster we have at the moment is not a contender. I dont hink this is the roster we go to camp with. but We have to get a INSIDE scoring player.............period. We have shooters in the house now which I like but if you live by the jumper you DIE by the jumper. Weve been there done that. I really dont think any superstar free agent player is going to sign with us next summer. If we dont get one via trade its not happening. To all of those who say trade Josh and blow it up...........................theat means you HOPE to get a top pick in the lottery, and if you are LUCKY enough to get that top pick, you HOPE there is a potential superstar player to pick. Ive heard about enough of hope and change for a while............................

Welcome to reality. Truth is we never had a chance to get a title even the last 5 years or so. What you can feel good about it is that at least we are flexible. We don't have to watch this team erode under the weight of long expensive deals for older players. We have the ability to churn this roster until we get the mix we want. Teams are going to have to make moves when the cap penalties hit. They will need to trade big names because they can't afford the contracts. We'll be sitting pretty to take advantage.
  • Like 3

the D12 thing was a pipe dream anyway.There was no way he was not going to take the extra 100 million shoe bonus for playing NYC or LA.That's why I never got my hopes up for him.I'm still excited about the changes so far.There is still alot of good free agents in 2013, plus with all those expiring contract we could trade them for the next disgruntled star player.

• Premium Member

This is the NBA my fellow Hawks fans. You either have a superstar(s) and have a chance to win a ring or you are literally and I mean literally just tv schedule fodder for the teams that do. Period. If we can't land Dwight which IMO would give us a great chance at signing CP3 then we need to trade Josh and Horford for multiple first rounders and rebuild the hard way. You either get a superstar in the draft, through a trade or free agency. You don't get one by holding onto good but not great players and hope they magically become one.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Geez you guys are crazy. I considered myself a big fan of Joe but he wasn't carrying this team night in and night out. Name a team in the East that we aren't as good as this year other than the Heat. As far as a big free agent. I agree we probably won't get one but their options for big money are a lot more limited than they used to be it seems.

I get where you are coming from but I think you can still take hope.Sure, we are going to be worse this year but I think what Ferry is trying to build is larger than the quick win scenario. No doubt he'll try to land that superstar and get the quick win, but that is only part of the larger plan.

if we dont get a super star player or andrew bynum next year in free agency/trade We might as well tank our ass off. I dont want to be like the bucks/rockets/the pacers before they made the playoffs. which is a mediorce team that will win 30 games every year and get really late lottery picks.

I have faith that ferry can build this team from the ground up the right way by Drafting smart/getting a GOOD and EXPERIENCED head coach/ addressing the team needs and constantly getting better.

• Premium Member

Geez you guys are crazy. I considered myself a big fan of Joe but he wasn't carrying this team night in and night out. Name a team in the East that we aren't as good as this year other than the Heat. As far as a big free agent. I agree we probably won't get one but their options for big money are a lot more limited than they used to be it seems.

Are you seriously asking that? The Nets, Pacers, Knicks, Boston, 76ers, Bulls are all better than we are. We're looking at the 8th spot in a race with the Bucks and Cavs if the Cavs get Bynum.

• Premium Member

Yep I think its a big pipe dream if you think this team is better than a 7-8 seed as constructed.We are just so close if we could get D12. In business if you get that "shot in a lifetime business deal" you do whatever it takes to get the job done, but I know business is much more intense than a sports team trying to acquire talent.Guess I need to leave my business mentality at the door when I come into Hawksqawk, LOL.

Edited by Vol4ever

Are you seriously asking that? The Nets, Pacers, Knicks, Boston, 76ers, Bulls are all better than we are. We're looking at the 8th spot in a race with the Bucks and Cavs if the Cavs get Bynum.

The Nets were 22 - 44 last season .I don't think JJ is make them all that great ,and Lopez is injury prone.The Bulls will be without Rose for a while, and the sixers lost there leading scorer in Williams and best inside defender in Brand , and may dump Iggy for picks.Let just wait and see what happens.Last season everyone said we wouldn't make the playoffs without Horford and we still were a 4th seed.

• Premium Member

This is the NBA my fellow Hawks fans. You either have a superstar(s) and have a chance to win a ring or you are literally and I mean literally just tv schedule fodder for the teams that do. Period. If we can't land Dwight which IMO would give us a great chance at signing CP3 then we need to trade Josh and Horford for multiple first rounders and rebuild the hard way. You either get a superstar in the draft, through a trade or free agency. You don't get one by holding onto good but not great players and hope they magically become one.

/////This///// best post ever!
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Pimp said it but i'll reiterate. The Bulls are without Rose and most of the rest of the team is injured or recently injured. Sixers lost their leading scorer and Brand, The Nets haven't proven they can even make the playoffs, How are the Knicks any better than last year? The Pacers appear to be up and coming but they have no real stars and they have one decent season under their belt. Boston is boston but we were better than them last year if we were at full strength. I think they are fizzling but we'll see. They may still be good.

• Moderators

Unfortunately for the Sixers, Brooklynettes, Knicks, Bulls, and Pacers, they all get the fun of cannibalizing each other in their own divisions, dragging their regular season records down below where they probably should be.Even with the Bulls' success sans Rose last year, I'm not wild about their chances of sustaining success early on, given the adds and subtractions they've made to this point, unless Rose can accelerate his recovery schedule. The SIxers may be just be trolling everybody with their starting frontcourt plans post-Brand. The Bucks look like a team where almost everyone including the coach has one foot out the door. The Knicks' locker room can implode spectacularly at any moment. A healthy Kyrie and Varejao will be nice, but the Cavs'll need some other players to grow up real quick, and having a volatile Andrew Bynum coached by the seething Byron Scott would make for a nice corrosive situation. Pistons basketball remains hard on the eyes. The Raps don't know what the heck they are yet.As for the Dirty South Division, the Wizards cleaned out a lot of dead wood but still have that need-another-year smell to them, the Bobcats are, well... and the Magic may not get much star power (Bynum? Pau?) after all, and will likely wind up with an amateur-hour head coach. I'm still looking at 2nd for the Hawks in a division that the Heat will clean up easily, but a 6th seed seems quite reasonable so long as they're still thumping the guys below them in the Southeast AND there's enough parity among 5 or 6 other non-division teams that the Hawks just hang around the bottom half of them. All together, this still doesn't feel like a team that will be vying for their postseason berth after Tax Day. They'll struggle to find their footing at the start, but the out-of-division parity, including teams that themselves are trying to gel, won't keep them out of the playoff running for long.The best way to make hay when jammed among all the second-tier teams is to find success in the West and on the road. I believe the Hawks pulled off their first +.500 road record in seemingly forever last season, and just need to find more players for late-game heroics than just looking to Joe to carry us through 4 overtimes.Only wild-card is if we ship Josh for more vanishing contracts by the deadline and deliberately tank. But we'll have to wait and see if that happens. In the meantime, with everyone healthy, this is a playoff team.~lw3

• Moderators

/////This///// best post ever!

You also can't make any money by being a lottery team for 7 years and then hope the ping pong ball goes your way and the stars align and you don't draft Greg Oden. The realistic chance of drafting a superstar are way slimmer than trying to pay for one.

That's why you don't get excited for rumors. Especially rumors of a superstar coming to Atlanta. Anyway, we're pretty much in the same position we've been in for the last 4 or 5 years, only now we have room to maneuver.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

You also can't make any money by being a lottery team for 7 years and then hope the ping pong ball goes your way and the stars align and you don't draft Greg Oden. The realistic chance of drafting a superstar are way slimmer than trying to pay for one.

Nobody was breaking their neck to see the perennial playoff team of last season and before either. plus The problem is the Hawks is not the type of team that can pull that off. This is not a sexy enough destination. They tried it and ended up with Joe freakin Johnson. and remember the Hawks recently had a shot at multiple super stars in the lottery and blew it.
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

As opposed to what? The team we just blew up?? The team that had a hard ceiling of a second round exit guaranteed every year? Screw that. We need superstars to win a title. You either get one through the draft, a trade or free agency. Any option Ferry takes to do that is fine with me as long as we get one.

• Moderators

Nobody was breaking their neck to see the perennial playoff team of last season and before either. plus The problem is the Hawks is not the type of team that can pull that off. This is not a sexy enough destination. They tried it and ended up with Joe freakin Johnson. and remember the Hawks recently had a shot at multiple super stars in the lottery and blew it.

My point exactly. We had several shots at superstars in the draft and didn't get any. That's the norm not just for us but in general. That's the route i'm advocating against. And according to a bunch of people on the board Joe freakin Johnson is the difference between a top 4 team and the lottery. Playing on national tv and going to the playoffs makes money. Having a team that wins 60% of its games makes more money as an entertainment product. I'll take second round exits over 13 wins and ping pong balls anyday.