• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Kenny Atkinson...future head coach?

capstone21

• Premium Member

D'Antoni's game is fun to watch but it will not work in the long run due to the extreme lack of defence. I don't want him as our coach

Have you looked at the makeup of our team? Defense? What's that?

I like Jerry and have a lot of respect for him as a head coach but he isn't the coach you bring in when you're just starting a 6 year overhaul of a basketball program. I mean, maybe if he was to be a mentor for and up and coming assistant coach for about 2 years it would make sense. Any longer and I just don't see it working out.

Edited by ATLSmith

• Premium Member

I don't think this is a legitimate rumor as there's no link to actual concrete information. However, Sloan is a great coach and would be welcome here as he would demand accountability from everyone. No more Josh bringing the ball up the floor or taking terrible jumpers.

I have no doubt that Ferry contacted Sloan. Why wouldn't he? Drew is here as a care-taker until Ferry gets the guy he wants. I'm actually surprised that Drew is still the nominal HC.In terms of Atkinson, I don't think this is anything more than bringing in a guy that has shown he can get a PG to develop. He's a postion coach, not a HC. Teague now has all the support he needs to emerge as a true PG. Let's see if he can actually do it.

I have no doubt that Ferry contacted Sloan. Why wouldn't he? Drew is here as a care-taker until Ferry gets the guy he wants. I'm actually surprised that Drew is still the nominal HC.

In terms of Atkinson, I don't think this is anything more than bringing in a guy that has shown he can get a PG to develop. He's a postion coach, not a HC. Teague now has all the support he needs to emerge as a true PG. Let's see if he can actually do it.

I'm sure that has a lot to do with Drew's option being picked up a full month before Ferry was even hired for the job.

I wouldn't dismiss Atkinson as being a position coach either just because Lin happened to be his most prized pupil and would assume that his coming to Atlanta is for a promotion from his previous position behind the bench. Yea, I agree that he isn't head coaching material yet but his background is in overall player development with an emphasis on shooting and apparently he even has ties to Zaza or at least the Georgian national team.

It's another Spurs type of move from Ferry, getting a guy versed in international play to go along with all of the shooters and lead guards we have. The plan obviously seems to be an umptempo, pure pick and roll team just like the Spurs were last season where they were 7th in pace. Atkinson seems to be our version of Chip Engelland and will play a key role in Teague and Jenkin's development but hell, maybe he'll even be able to get Josh to shoot worth a damn.

8.07.2012, 09:43 AMLikely Kenny Atkinson hiring by Atlanta Hawks would be ‘a coup’ says ex-NY Knicks coach Mike D’Antoni LONDON – Mike D'Antoni called the expected hiring of assistant coach Kenny Atkinson "a coup" for the Atlanta Hawks."It's great for Atlanta," D'Antoni said on Tuesday prior to the U.S. practice at East London University. "He does a great job with the players and in development. He's has great knowledge of the game and would be good on any staff."D'Antoni, who serves as an assistant coach for the U.S., hired Atkinson in 2008 and Atkinson was the only coach from the D'Antoni regime that was retained after D'Antoni resigned in March. Atkinson, a Long Island native, has earned a reputation among team executives, coaches and players as a tireless, energetic worker as well as an elite coach in the area of player development. Atkinson's prize pupil was Jeremy Lin, who enjoyed a breakout season last year in New York before signing a three-year, $25 million free agent contract with the Houston Rockets.Coincidentally, the Rockets gave Atkinson his first NBA coaching job and the organziation has tried on several occasions to re-hire him."Kenny was great for us," said Knicks center Tyson Chandler. "He did an excellent job with the guards, getting them ready for the games. He's a hard worker. We're going to miss him and we're going to have to find someone to bring that type of energy to our team."NBA teams are investing more resources into player development as a way to lower payroll. The San Antonio Spurs have been at the forefront of player development for years and it is not surprising that Hawks GM Danny Ferry, who worked in the Spurs organization, reached out to Atkinson. Losing Atkinson is big blow to the Knicks and leaves Mike Woodson with a vacancy on his staff. It is unclear as to whom Woodson will hire. Former Seton Hall coach Bobby Gonzalez worked with the team as an unpaid player development coach during last month's rookie/free agent summer league in Las Vegas.Author:FRANK ISOLA

Considering Woodson doesn't like point guards that do point guard things, I'm not surprised that Atkinson found a way to get away from the Woodmiester.I hope that Atkinson can work his magic wiht Teague the way he did with Lin.

?

??

Posted Image

Excuse me, fellas. I speak jive.

na ld will b gone the zar will b back babay or stan vangunde

*ahem*

Larry Drew Sr. will be relieved of his duties and the "Tsar", Mike Fratello, shall make a triumphant return to replace him. Either he or Stan Van Gundy shall be the Atlanta Hawks new head coach.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Sloan would be a surprise in a way to me because he is not known as a up tempo coach and look at our roster. We are gonna run

Sloan is going on a no no no tour. He turned down PTL.. NY... and Orlando. I think the only team he's interested in is Chicago and there's rumors he might take the GM of Utah.

Before anyone else talks about someone replacing LD, The Hawks won 60% of their games last year even though the team lost Horford for 55 games, Hinrich for 18, Joe for 6, Marvin for 9, Green for 13, Zaza for 8, McGrady for 14 and the list goes on. Every contributor for the Hawks last year except for Josh and Teague missed at least 10% of the season. Just the above mentioned games =123 games missed due to injury and somehow LD managed to slip into the 4 seed.

61 games missed due to injury by your 2 allstars in a 66 game season.

If LD was fired, it would be a travesty.

This again goes back to me not understanding how we take a step back this year. We already played without Al all last year. No JJ/Marvin isn't much worse than no Horford but add Lou, Jenkins, Harris, Morrow. We will finish top 4 again and LD will get renewed.

Edited by thecampster