• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is it a good thing that we didn't get Bynum?

Plainview1981

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakers-kareem-howard-20120815,0,6552389.story As much as we need a center, I'm glad we didn't make any deal to get Bynum. Kareem basically says that Bynum didn't always want to work hard or improve his game. You put that together with his on the court troubles and his injuries, I wouldn't be shocked if Philly ends up regretting maxing him out. Which they will do.

No it is not. If I said otherwise I would just be making a excuse for Ferry not being able to acquire All Pro type talent

Bynum is a great player, but I think his knees will have the better of him very soon. He is a disaster waiting to happen.

Its never good when you have the headline "Bynum to have german knee procedure" then a few days later read "Bynum considering long term deal with the sixers". He isn't worth the max due to injuries. His lack of wanting to improve his game maybe due to his knee. Have you all ever seen him run. He is pigeon-toed as hell.

Bynum is a great player, but I think his knees will have the better of him very soon. He is a disaster waiting to happen.

Bynum is a FA at the end of the season. In fact, the majority of players in that swap are FA's, meaning teams are not required to re-sign them. One year of Bynum would have been the next best thing to one year of Howard.

I agree with this. I think his knees will eventually do hi in

Once again, IMO, this is just a justification or excuse. We would not have been tied to Bynum. Al missed a whole year last year and then did not come back the 1st moment he could. Josh sit out a crucial playoff game just because he was not going to extend himself too much for this team. Everyone is so okay with Ferry's expiring contract mindset until we start talking real talent then it becomes a bad thing to have an expiring because there might actually be some value in the guy. This is another reason I don't like the expiring mindset he is bringing. It really does not force you to be a man and stand up to the task of making tough decisions Edited by MrMeltdown
  • Like 1

If there is worry about Bynum knees. Then there need to be serious concern regarding Howard back as well. From the sound of it he won't even be ready for the season opener.

While Dwight probably won't be 100% ready to go at the start of the season, I'd be much more worried about Bynum's knees over Dwght's back in the long run. Knee issues like Bynum has had are more of a chronic injury, just look at all the careers that have been wasted over knee injuries. A herniated disc, like Dwight's injury, is an acute injury. Give it time to heal, strengthen your back, and there's no reason to think that Dwight won't return to his previous form.

There's always concern when someone has surgery, but Dwight's "issues" are much less of a worry than Bynum's, IMO.

While Dwight probably won't be 100% ready to go at the start of the season, I'd be much more worried about Bynum's knees over Dwght's back in the long run. Knee issues like Bynum has had are more of a chronic injury, just look at all the careers that have been wasted over knee injuries. A herniated disc, like Dwight's injury, is an acute injury. Give it time to heal, strengthen your back, and there's no reason to think that Dwight won't return to his previous form.

There's always concern when someone has surgery, but Dwight's "issues" are much less of a worry than Bynum's, IMO.

Of course Dwight's issues are small in comparison to Bynum's because you guys want him at all costs even if he were to be seriously injured you would just say it was worth it. Dwight has also shown to be a even bigger pre-madana or however you spell that Edited by MrMeltdown
  • Like 1

Of course Dwight's issues are small in comparison to Bynum's because you guys want him at all costs even if he were to be seriously injured you would just say it was worth it. Dwight has also shown to be a even bigger pre-madana or however you spell that

I've actually never wanted Dwight on the Hawks, and I've stated that here on multiple occasions, but ok. It's a simple fact that knee injuries like Bynum has had should be of more concern than a one time disc issue like in Dwight's back - I don't know how you can realistically say otherwise. As far as the way Dwight has handled his situation for the last year+, totally agreed. Again, I've never wanted him on this team and that's a big reason why.

Bynum is a FA at the end of the season. In fact, the majority of players in that swap are FA's, meaning teams are not required to re-sign them. One year of Bynum would have been the next best thing to one year of Howard.

Once again, IMO, this is just a justification or excuse. We would not have been tied to Bynum. Al missed a whole year last year and then did not come back the 1st moment he could. Josh sit out a crucial playoff game just because he was not going to extend himself too much for this team.

Everyone is so okay with Ferry's expiring contract mindset until we start talking real talent then it becomes a bad thing to have an expiring because there might actually be some value in the guy. This is another reason I don't like the expiring mindset he is bringing. It really does not force you to be a man and stand up to the task of making tough decisions

Great post.

Some are looking for the "perfect player" with the "perfect contract" in the "perfect situation" that won't hurt the team's "flexibility". It's funny how the sentiment is now against Bynum, now that the Hawks won't be able to get him. Bynum is definitely the type of player that you take a chance on.

I mean seriously. The guy put up 19 pts - 12 rebs on just 13 shots and 23% usage.

http://www.nba.com/sixers/insider

Doug Collins:

“I’ve never really had that guy that can possibly give me 20 points, 10 rebounds, and a couple of blocks a night, so (acquiring Bynum) is really exciting for me,” said Collins, shortly after rattling off the names of the dozen or so solid, albeit underwhelming, full-time starting centers whom he’s coached during his 10 years as a head man.

Indeed, Andrew Bynum is a player who could make things much easier for Collins… and much tougher for opposing head coaches around the Eastern Conference.

“When I was in London for the Olympics, (Boston Celtics head coach) Doc Rivers was there. One day (a few days before the trade was officially completed), we were talking about low post players and Doc said to me, ‘Really, the only guy I worry about is Andrew Bynum,’ and I was about ready to choke,” recalled a jovial Collins, with a chuckle.

Honestly, people just need to stop it. Just accept the fact that the Sixers were willing to make a bold move and take a chance, while we went into selling mode, hoping for "cap space" to ball for us in the near ( or distant ) future. Don't get mad, or hate on teams that do what all of us dream for the Hawks to do.

Please. Just stop it.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-uH0Zg8sjM

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2zuhhJv-8I

Edited by northcyde

If one of the prerequisites for winning a championship is having a player who is at least 1st or 2nd team All-NBA on your team, Andrew Bynum fits the description, seeing that he was 2nd team All-NBA last year.And it's funny seeing the Bynum press conference. Philly definitely paid attention to what Brooklyn done with JJ and Deron. So when they had a chance to introduce Bynum and Richardson to the Sixer fan base, this is what they didhttp://www.nba.com/sixers/video/2012/08/15/120815PressConferenceRecapmov-2187202I'll tell you this. Sixer fans, Doug Collins, and that organization could give a DAMN about Bynum's injury history or potential for injury. All they know right now, is that they have a guy that can potentially become not only a superstar, but the best center they've had since a young Moses Malone.Real franchises aren't scary and do stuff out of fear. They take calculated risks and deal with the consequences . . . good or bad.

It is possible that we didn't have the right piece to send to Denver. We are all quick to assume that our management wasn't willing to make a move, but I think that is a flawed assumption based on this offseason. Oh, and am I the only person that wishes we could have scored Iguodala instead of Bynum? If I am Ferry, I am trying to get him without giving up a starter. I think the biggest problem for us right now is that most of non-critical talent can't be traded together yet.

• Moderators

Notice that none of the teams participating in this trade are from the Southeast Division? Remember that Orlando wouldn't talk to us because we are in the SE? Remember that Orlando was the driver behind this deal and how it was structured?

Why does anyone think we passed on being part of this deal? Does anyone actually think Orlando was going to sign off on us getting Bynum?

I don't get it.

Posted Image

• Like 1

northcyde don't you think it would be more beneficial for you to post what Andrew Bynum does to help us? Ie Bynum vs Eastern Conference teams, its more likely we see them in the Playoffs, as opposed to the Clippers and Nuggets.Also the research suggests the Hawks had nothing to offer, unless the Nuggets wanted Josh-Gallinari as their humongous wings.

http://www.latimes.c...0,6552389.story As much as we need a center, I'm glad we didn't make any deal to get Bynum. Kareem basically says that Bynum didn't always want to work hard or improve his game. You put that together with his on the court troubles and his injuries, I wouldn't be shocked if Philly ends up regretting maxing him out. Which they will do.

Bynum reached the conclusion that he was too good of a player to listen to Kareem any more. Imagine being deluded to the point that you can't accept training and pointers from a man who played 57,000+ minutes, scored 38,000+ points, grabbed 17,000+ rebounds, and blocked over 3,000 shots (and they didn't even keep up with blocked shots his first four years in the league.) What a goofball...with creaky knees to boot. Yeah, we'll miss his 3 point attempts, his laziness, etc.

Notice that none of the teams participating in this trade are from the Southeast Division? Remember that Orlando wouldn't talk to us because we are in the SE? Remember that Orlando was the driver behind this deal and how it was structured?

Why does anyone think we passed on being part of this deal? Does anyone actually think Orlando was going to sign off on us getting Bynum?

I don't get it.

Posted Image

Because it's irrefutable evidence that Danny Ferry is clearly clueless and has no plan for the future outside of creating "cap space" of which he'll only end up signing JJ Hickson to a max deal with.

northcyde don't you think it would be more beneficial for you to post what Andrew Bynum does to help us? Ie Bynum vs Eastern Conference teams, its more likely we see them in the Playoffs, as opposed to the Clippers and Nuggets. Also the research suggests the Hawks had nothing to offer, unless the Nuggets wanted Josh-Gallinari as their humongous wings.

What Andrew does to help us? You can't see how a guy who is almost strictly a low post scoring big body who can defend opposing big centers, and block shots, can't help us? Or do you want to see a clip of him vs Eastern Conference competition ( like the Clippers or Nuggets wouldn't be a top 4 team in the East ). I mean, it's not like I'm showing him balling against the New Jersey Nets, and saying that he's a legit center. I could've posted the 30 rebound game Bynum had against the Spurs this year . . or this 37 point - 16 rebound game he had against Marc Gasol and the Grizzlies back in March. http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUV2jIK8EGg You're Mr. Game Film. I'm sure you know how good Bynum is ( or can be ). But if you want to see him vs East competition . . . OK. How about the team WE couldn't beat in the 1st round of the playoffs. http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW8KvM7oNhk So what could Bynum bring to the Hawks - high percentage low post scoring - low post defense - shot blocking - the ability to have superstar-esque games on offense or defense As for the Hawks having nothing to offer . . that's fine. But what does that say about us and the talent we have? I don't think the question isn't we didn't have anything to offer. I think the real issue is that we didn't have anything Denver or any of the other teams involved in that trade . . . wanted. Or could Ferry felt like some of you do, and see Bynum as an injury risk, so he would've rather stayed pat with Horford and Smith as his centerpieces? Who knows man. All I know is that other franchises who are serious about winning ( and not terrified of risks ) continue to make big time moves and get things done. Maybe Ferry can make a move like this in the future. We'll see.
  • Like 1