• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Ranking the PGs... Where's Teague?

Diesel

• Premium Member

Just some random names...Teague, CP3, Nash, Deron, Kidd, Harris, Conley, Westbrook, Rondo, Rubio, Calderon, Sessions, Jennings, Holiday, Felton, Lawson, Wall, Parker, Miller, Chalmers, Nelson, Collison, I. Thomas, Bibby...

A much, much, much harder list to compile because due to handchecking rules any midget guard with decent quickness can put up decent stats.You'd have to rank it by who he most definitely isn't better than:CP3RoseWestbrookDeronNashRondoParkerLawsonLiterally everyone else is interchangeable in rank at this current juncture as they've either fallen off (Kidd), are rookie/sophs (Irving/Wall), had very short peaks (looking at you, Lin and Dragic), or just aren't definitively better or worse than Jeffrey (Collison, Lowry, Holiday, Jennings, etc).

Edited by MaceCase

A much, much, much harder list to compile because due to handchecking rules any midget guard with decent quickness can put up decent stats. You'd have to rank it by who he most definitely isn't better than: CP3 Rose Westbrook Deron Nash Rondo Parker Lawson Literally everyone else is interchangeable in rank at this current juncture as they've either fallen off (Kidd), are rookie/sophs (Irving/Wall), had very short peaks (looking at you, Lin and Dragic), or just aren't definitively better or worse than Jeffrey (Collison, Lowry, Holiday, Jennings, etc).

Every single point guard except for Jason Kidd that you mentioned in this post is better than Jeff Teague. Sorry to say. Not saying he won't develop into better players than some of them but as of right now they are all better.

Every single point guard except for Jason Kidd that you mentioned in this post is better than Jeff Teague. Sorry to say. Not saying he won't develop into better players than some of them but as of right now they are all better.

Are you so sure?

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=teaguje01&y1=2012&p2=collida01&y2=2012&p3=holidjr01&y3=2012&p4=lowryky01&y4=2012&p5=jennibr01&y5=2012&p6=dragigo01&y6=2012

Is there anyone from that list outside of the top 8 that if you replaced Jeffrey with them you'd say the team made a definitive improvement right away? That's the problem with ranking small guards these days in a league where even Charles Jenkins (I know you are saying "who?") can drop 27 points or 12 assists at the drop of a hat.

Please, I'm one Teague's loudest detractors in that I feel he's easily replaceable but the thing is so is 85% of the rest of the league's guard corps. Unlike Josh who is firmly entrenched between 6 and 8, Jeffrey can be anything between 10 and 200 at any given moment. It's neither praise nor damnation, it's just the facts.

So, does it come down to this?Players like Marvin are a dime a dozen. It would be no problem to replace him.Now, we find that our PG falls into the same catagory. So easy to replace.Does the Hawks have ANY player that this doesn't apply to? Who is it?

So, does it come down to this? Players like Marvin are a dime a dozen. It would be no problem to replace him. Now, we find that our PG falls into the same catagory. So easy to replace. Does the Hawks have ANY player that this doesn't apply to? Who is it?

Well you clearly can't be referring to me because I was practically one of the last cool heads that would point to Marvin's positives around here. Fact is that yea, it's extremely rare to find a 6'9" forward that can guard most wings, rebound well from the perimeter and shoot at a respectable clip as clearly evidenced by looking here and across the league. Finding 6'2" shooting guards on the other hand isn't as evidenced by the fact the Hawks alone already have two more of those in addition to Jeffrey on the roster. Edited by MaceCase

Are you so sure?

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=teaguje01&y1=2012&p2=collida01&y2=2012&p3=holidjr01&y3=2012&p4=lowryky01&y4=2012&p5=jennibr01&y5=2012&p6=dragigo01&y6=2012

Is there anyone from that list outside of the top 8 that if you replaced Jeffrey with them you'd say the team made a definitive improvement right away? That's the problem with ranking small guards these days in a league where even Charles Jenkins (I know you are saying "who?") can drop 27 points or 12 assists at the drop of a hat.

Please, I'm one Teague's loudest detractors in that I feel he's easily replaceable but the thing is so is 85% of the rest of the league's guard corps. Unlike Josh who is firmly entrenched between 6 and 8, Jeffrey can be anything between 10 and 200 at any given moment. It's neither praise nor damnation, it's just the facts.

In my honest opinion, no. All those teams would not be as good. I think Irving, Jennings, Dragic, Wall etc etc are all better. But I love Teague and I don't think he's even close to done improving. He'll keep getting better especially this season
  • Like 2

Y'all are sleeping on Teague and it's laughable as a Hawks fan. I think Teague will show everyone from Garnett on down that he's not a nobody in this league. He's athletic, can defend, is versatile offensively and only had his first chance of real playing time last year!! Sleep if you must but I think this is the year Teague is going to wake people up. Devin Harris will be a good backup if he plays his role correctly.

• Like 1

In all fairness we have to give Teague one more year to prove himself. All players must be given a 3 year interval to prove they can ball. Especially with PGs, there is a large learning curve coming from college to the pros. But lets also remember that Ferry sees something he likes in him, and if Ferry is down. I'm down.

Two major omissions from the OP's list are Stephen Curry, who is definitely a top 10 PG when healthy . . and Kyrie Irving, who is the absolute truth. I don't think Teague could make this play with the game on the line.

Rose ( when healthy )PaulDeronWestbrookRondoNashIrvingCurryParkerLawsonKyrie especially has a chance to be truly special. Depending on the health of Derrick Rose, he has an outside shot to make the All-Star game.

Agreed on Irving and Curry. I'd say Teague is around the 15-20 mark with the potential to be much better. Hopefully he gets there, but having a solid PG in this league ain't that hard. There are A LOT of good PGs and PFs in the leage. There aren't many 2s, 3s, or 5s.

Definately Better than Teague:Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Russell Westbrook, Derrick Rose, Rajon Rondo, Steve Nash, Stephen Curry, John Wall, Kyle Irving, Ty Lawson, Tony Parker, Kyle Lowry.Ricky Rubio, Jrue Holiday, Mike Conley, Brandon Jennings, Jeremy Lin, Felton, Brandon Knight, Jameer Nelson and Goran Dragic can be all at the same level. From that group I like Holiday, Rubio and Lin more than Teague so for me Teague is 16th on the league, I like him more than Conley, Jennings, Felton, Knight and Nelson.

Definately Better than Teague: Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Russell Westbrook, Derrick Rose, Rajon Rondo, Steve Nash, Stephen Curry, John Wall, Kyle Irving, Ty Lawson, Tony Parker, Kyle Lowry. Ricky Rubio, Jrue Holiday, Mike Conley, Brandon Jennings, Jeremy Lin, Felton, Brandon Knight, Jameer Nelson and Goran Dragic can be all at the same level. From that group I like Holiday, Rubio and Lin more than Teague so for me Teague is 16th on the league, I like him more than Conley, Jennings, Felton, Knight and Nelson.

You're really underrating Conley. And Rubio, I think. Minnesota is a playoff team in the WEST with Rubio last year, and all they had was Love and Pekovic. Edited by TheFuzz

You're really underrating Conley. And Rubio, I think. Minnesota is a playoff team in the WEST with Rubio last year, and all they had was Love and Pekovic.

I'm saying I like Rubio more than Teague, his passing is amazing although his shooting percentage and defense is horrible and will be a problem on the future, anyway he creates a lot for his teammates so a true Floor General for me. About Conley his numbers are pretty much the same than Teague's, just 1 assist more and I think he is already on his peak, Teague is a better defender, more athletic and if you compare Teague's production on his second year to Conley's production on his second year starting Teague is simply better.