• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Today's game...

AHawks89

This was the 1st game I saw but Jeff looks a lot better than Lou running PG and it is not even close. I even saw him tell someone where to go once. This team looks a mess on defense and it is not just Teague but yeah he leaves a lot to be desired, Al can not even guard Z-BO in the post but you want him to guard C's? Josh did not take one good shot when I was watching, all the knockdown shooters we had were not so lights out.This team may have trouble making the playoffs or staying together pass the 35 game mark if this is what they are going to look like and do.

Edited by MrMeltdown

The problem with Lou ( and this was a problem last season, especially in the playoffs ), is that although it's great he went 8 - 9 FTs in 28 minutes, he also missed 6 of his 7 field goal attempts. That means that if he isn't getting the calls ( like he didn't get the calls in the Boston playoff series ), his effectiveness has the potential to be affected big time.Today he scores 10 points1 - 7 FG ( 7 possessions in which he got his shot off )8 - 9 FT ( 4 trips to the line + an and-1. If you count the and-1 as a separate possession, that's 5 trips to the line )2 turnovers ( 2 more poessions )10 points / 13 possessions = 0.77 pppThat's not nearly as bad as it could be on 1 - 7 FG. But if he just shot 3 - 7 FG, you're looking at 14 to 16 total points on 13 possessions, which definitely makes him more efficient.Lou shot 4 or more FTs in 64% of his games last year, which is pretty damn good. That's pretty much Josh Smith like from the guard position, in fewer minutes.On the flip side, Lou shot 40% or less from the field in 1/2 of the games he played in. That kind of shows his schizophrenic nature as a shot maker.Since Harris was brought up . . .- shot 4+ FTs in 37% of his games last year- shot 40% FG or less in 38% of his gamesThe big thing with Williams and Harris this season, is going to be their Usage rate. Lou got #1 scorer type usage last year in Philly ( 27.4% ). Harris usage dropped dramatically last year from #1 scorer type ( 25.2% ) to #4 or #5 type scorer usage ( 19.5% ).I truly believe that at some point this season, Al Horford is going to start complaining about how he is used, or how many touches he's getting. If the guy is once again shooting well over 50% FG, but are seeing 3 or 4 guys getting more chances to score, we may see a what would be called a "selfish side" of Horford.And with Josh getting top billing these days, I wonder how many shots he's willing to give up as well to the new guys.Honestly, I'm just watching and following the preseason to see if the guys we have on the squad, can do what they're billed to do. Can the defenders defend and the shooters shoot?Team wise, we won't know anything about the Hawks until the season starts, and the rotations are set.

Al can not even guard Z-BO in the post but you want him to guard C's?

I tried finding an example of Al efficiently guarding another center for you, but all I could find was stat-lines of him making 7'2", 260 pound Roy Hibbert look like his b***h. Does that work for you? http://www.basketbal...01&p2=hibbero01 Edited by SmooveZilla

I'm confused by this. You are saying Al can't guard Zach Randolph, a PF in the post but you want him to guard other PF's?Their are way less talented C's in the league.

In the East alone Al can't guard Bynum,Lopez, Hibbert, or Garnett in the post if they play him at Center. PF's in the East are jump shooters that I don't think Al will have a huge problem guarding.

I tried finding an example of Al efficiently guarding another center for you, but all I could find was stat-lines of him making 7'2", 260 pound Roy Hibbert look like his b***h. Does that work for you? http://www.basketbal...01&p2=hibbero01

We all know that was Hibbert's 1st couple of years when he was still developing as a Center. It always takes true big men a little longer to develop. Al can not handle Hibbert in the post now.

In the East alone Al can't guard Bynum,Lopez, Hibbert, or Garnett in the post if they play him at Center. PF's in the East are jump shooters that I don't think Al will have a huge problem guarding.

He's consistently been just as good as Lopez in their match-ups. http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=lopezbr01&p2=horfoal01

You guys are looking way too much into this. Horford is at a disadvantage on the defensive end, but he is at an advantage on the offensive end using his speed and quickness against other centers. Are we undersized? Tell me something I didn't already know. All I know is Al plays with heart every game and I know we will be fine with him playing center for us again this year. Deal with it.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

You guys are looking way too much into this. Horford is at a disadvantage on the defensive end, but he is at an advantage on the offensive end using his speed and quickness against other centers. Are we undersized? Tell me something I didn't already know. All I know is Al plays with heart every game and I know we will be fine with him playing center for us again this year. Deal with it.

I like Horford, but him and Smith together is not working. Al is definitely better served playing the four. And if you mean "we will be fine" as in being a weak rebounding and interior defensive team again, having no low post offense and either missing the playoffs or getting eliminated early again, then yeah "we will be fine".

• Moderators

I like Horford, but him and Smith together is not working. Al is definitely better served playing the four. And if you mean "we will be fine" as in being a weak rebounding and interior defensive team again, having no low post offense and either missing the playoffs or getting eliminated early again, then yeah "we will be fine".

Al is better served or the team is better served? Josh was very effective in the low post last year and Al ain't bad there. the idea that Al is a better PF than C doesn't have a lot to back it up other than he isn't 7 feet tall and Tito would rather have him at PF. Teams around the league are choosing to play a really good smaller guy at center rather than a 7 foot stiff when they don't have an exceptional center.

I know Al wants to play the floor, I've always thought he would make a good 4 - but he's also a pretty good All-satr center. In this cycle of the NBA there are not a lot of big plodding QUALITY/EFFECTIVE centers - teams are using shorter, mobile guys. Teams in general are playing smaller/speedier ball at the 4/5 psoitions. Miami is considering starting Shane Battier at the PF spot and Crish Bosh is their Center.

• Premium Member

I think both the team and Al are better served in the long run. And if Josh was so effective in the low post, why does he continue to play on the perimeter, shoot long jumpers and shy away from contact? Why doesn't this post game of his show up against the teams that matter? I like Josh, but the truth is he's a classic tweener who has to rely heavily on energy and athleticism to be effective. I think it's more difficult to try and build a team around a guy like that than it is to build a team with a guy who's a better fit at that position. And as far as all the teams who choose to play small ball, the only one who got a title out of it has James, Wade and Bosh.

• Moderators

And as far as all the teams who choose to play small ball, the only one who got a title out of it has James, Wade and Bosh.

A couple other championship teams with shorter centers than Horford: Washington - 6'7'' Wes Unseld at Center Pistons - 6'9'' Ben Wallace at Center

• Premium Member

A couple other championship teams with shorter centers than Horford: Washington - 6'7'' Wes Unseld at Center Pistons - 6'9'' Ben Wallace at Center

1978 was a different era of basketball and in caliber of athletes and players. That team today doesn't win a title. Regarding that Pistons team, they did not play small ball. Even though Ben Wallace is 6'7, the guys who played on the front line next to him (Rasheed Wallace, Elden Campbell, Darko, etc..) were seven footers.

1978 was a different era of basketball and in caliber of athletes and players. That team today doesn't win a title. Regarding that Pistons team, they did not play small ball.

I disagree. The "get a big and win a title era has gone and past" for the NBA. Kinda like the "Get a RB and ground and pound" has ended in the NFL. Teams are about putting the best players on the court now. I don't care if Horford wants to be a four; I'm sure Smoove wants to be a SG if we allowed him to.
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

I disagree. The "get a big and win a title era has gone and past" for the NBA. Kinda like the "Get a RB and ground and pound" has ended in the NFL. Teams are about putting the best players on the court now. I don't care if Horford wants to be a four; I'm sure Smoove wants to be a SG if we allowed him to.

The problem with the small ball gimmick is in order to have a chance at a title with it, you have to have at least two elite level players to offset the deficiency and lack of balance. The Hawks have not and still don't have that. Without elite level players at other positions and/or a dominant two way center, I can't see a team with Josh as it's power forward being elite. I like him, but he's a tweener who relies heavily on athleticism and energy to be effective. Also, I wouldn't discount the effect good big men can have. Had the Pacers been more mature, their series with Heat would have been even more competititve since they kept shooting jumpers when the Heat had mo answer for Hibbert inside. The Pacers have no elite level players, but their team is balanced and not undersized. The Celtics, with Paul Pierce playing subpar, took the Heat to seven games mainly because the Heat had no answer for an old KG inside. So unless you have elite level players, playing small ball is just a weak gimmick.
  • Like 1