• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Josh Smith is being set up to fail

DJlaysitup

If you're trying to say that this team is setting him up to fail by making him the #1 option on offense then I understand. I personally think he will be fine. Nothing super special but he will do his thing this season.However This thread is about to turn into a Josh Smith Fans vs Josh Smith detractors. I guess threads like this are needed to spice up this website before the season starts.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Could you be more specific on WHY you think he's being set up to fail?

This is my question as well. Who is setting him up to fail? If he fails, Larry Drew ends up losing his job so I don't see why Drew would do this. Josh doesn't want to fail. Is it Danny Ferry who wants him to fail? If so, why and how would he "set up" Josh?

• Premium Member

I don't he's being set up to fail. The concern though is if Josh is a number one or two option. My initial answer is no, but the season will reveal. Josh is moreso an energy player and not a highly skilled player. He'll definitely shoot enough to post a decent ppg average, but will he be efficient while likely receiving more attention from the opposing defenses? I really think both Josh and Al are at best the best player on a legit contender. It will be Ferry's job to find a number one and two guy without making another Joe Johnson type contract mistake with the guys on the current roster.

• Premium Member

I don't he's being set up to fail. The concern though is if Josh is a number one or two option. My initial answer is no, but the season will reveal. Josh is moreso an energy player and not a highly skilled player. He'll definitely shoot enough to post a decent ppg average, but will he be efficient while likely receiving more attention from the opposing defenses? I really think both Josh and Al are at best the best player on a legit contender. It will be Ferry's job to find a number one and two guy without making another Joe Johnson type contract mistake with the guys on the current roster.

Hate posting on my phone. I meant to say Al and Josh are at best the third best player on a legit contender.

I don't think he's being set up to fail at all. In fact, if anything he's being set up to maximize his trade value. It makes no sense for the organization to have Josh fail at anything right now.

• Premium Member

This is my question as well. Who is setting him up to fail? If he fails, Larry Drew ends up losing his job so I don't see why Drew would do this. Josh doesn't want to fail. Is it Danny Ferry who wants him to fail? If so, why and how would he "set up" Josh?

These are the questions I have when reading a blanket statement. It isn't that the blanket statement is wrong, silly or even correct. It is that the blanket statement is so bare of details that it asks the reader to fill in the blanks with whatever they want. Is Josh Smith being set up by...........Al Horford? Horford has long wanted to be only a power forward and getting rid of Josh means he'd have a shot at being the starting PF. Is Josh Smith being set up by...........Jeff Teague? There's no denying we've seen Teague and Josh get into it a little bit in games when Josh is clearly ignoring the PG and starts running the offense himself or won't pass the ball bringing it up the court until several seconds are gone. Teague is a RFA and needs to improve his value and having a teammate that does those things certainly doesn't help it. Is Josh Smith being set up by.............(fill in teammate) Is Josh Smith being set up by..............Larry Drew? Larry knows he's coaching for his head coaching life in the NBA at this point. Having a knucklehead like Josh is like asking Two Face to flip a coin and praying it comes up on the good side. Does Drew want to bring Josh under his thumb by any means necessary? Is Josh Smith being set up by..............Danny Ferry? Ferry wants efficient players that excel in specific skill sets. Josh Smith is addicted to doing the one thing he's horrible at doing at the expense of the team. Does Ferry think showing Josh off sets up him to settle for a lesser contract or does he want to show the fans Josh simply can never be "The Man" and so when he trades him he doesn't have as much blood on his hands? So as I said...WHY is Josh being set up to fail and by WHOM? Is this the Hawksquawk version of "Clue"? I've got Professor Plum er Drew in the library with the candlestick!
  • Like 1

These are the questions I have when reading a blanket statement. It isn't that the blanket statement is wrong, silly or even correct. It is that the blanket statement is so bare of details that it asks the reader to fill in the blanks with whatever they want. Is Josh Smith being set up by...........Al Horford? Horford has long wanted to be only a power forward and getting rid of Josh means he'd have a shot at being the starting PF. Is Josh Smith being set up by...........Jeff Teague? There's no denying we've seen Teague and Josh get into it a little bit in games when Josh is clearly ignoring the PG and starts running the offense himself or won't pass the ball bringing it up the court until several seconds are gone. Teague is a RFA and needs to improve his value and having a teammate that does those things certainly doesn't help it. Is Josh Smith being set up by.............(fill in teammate) Is Josh Smith being set up by..............Larry Drew? Larry knows he's coaching for his head coaching life in the NBA at this point. Having a knucklehead like Josh is like asking Two Face to flip a coin and praying it comes up on the good side. Does Drew want to bring Josh under his thumb by any means necessary? Is Josh Smith being set up by..............Danny Ferry? Ferry wants efficient players that excel in specific skill sets. Josh Smith is addicted to doing the one thing he's horrible at doing at the expense of the team. Does Ferry think showing Josh off sets up him to settle for a lesser contract or does he want to show the fans Josh simply can never be "The Man" and so when he trades him he doesn't have as much blood on his hands? So as I said...WHY is Josh being set up to fail and by WHOM? Is this the Hawksquawk version of "Clue"? I've got Professor Plum er Drew in the library with the candlestick!

Honestly, I love Josh. I do. But every single one of those could be turned into "Josh is just a little too stubborn."

To me, it sounds like you just don't like Josh Smith. LOL!

• Premium Member

To me, it sounds like you just don't like Josh Smith. LOL!

I wasn't being serious in case that wasn't as clear as I thought it was. I was just showing how when you make open ended statements with no clarification it can lead to people making that statement whatever they want.
  • Like 1