• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Does D'Antoni to Lakers make it more likely that Smoove-for-Pau will happen?

DatWerkk

I posted this idea as a side note in another thread here (). I don't see Pau Gasol really fitting into a D'Antoni system, but I totally CAN see Josh Smith fitting in.Is this trade now more likely to happen? Less likely? No difference?Whether you like Josh Smith or not, you have to admit that trading for Gasol now would be a TURRIBLE idea.

I really hate to give bad news but for the 4th straight year I will repeat... Smoove will not get traded.

Most important not this year. He will be the reason why D-Howard comes to Atlanta.

I know this is not going to stop the threads from being posted. So, carry on. :-)

Edited by Brotha2ThaNite

• Premium Member

It amazes me that people think Smoove for Pau is a realistic possibility. The Lakers have no need to cut down on payroll because they could go 0-82 and still rake in a quintillion dollars, so Smoove's expiring contract means nothing to them. And aside from help defense within 18 feet of the basket, there is literally no aspect of the game at which Smoove is better than Pau. Pau is a better shooter, rebounder, on-ball defender, and passer. And oh yeah, he has the best low post repertoire in the NBA.He also has the rare Scottie Pippen mentality - knowing you're good enough to be "the man" on 20+ teams, but preferring to be the #2 on a contender. And willing to subordinate his own game for the good of the team.If Danny Ferry called Mitch Kupchak with that deal, Kupchak would laugh so hard that his mocha frappe would come out his nose.

Edited by niremetal
  • Like 3

• Premium Member

I really hate to give bad news but for the 4th straight year I will repeat... Smoove will not get traded.

Most important not this year. He will be the reason why D-Howard comes to Atlanta.

I know this is not going to stop the threads from being posted. So, carry on. :-)

So you're saying definitively on record that Dwight will drop the Lakers and a chance to win a title, his 20 million dollar house in L.A., etc...to come to Atlanta to play here not because the best players are here, but just because his friend plays on the team? You know this for a certainty?

• Moderators

I think Pau will fit very well with D'Antoni. The best thing for D'Antoni is that Kobe already likes and respects him and Kobe is old enough to subordinate some of his "I AM A HEROO!!!" mentality that has led to his worst performances. I get the sense now that he is a little more about the rings than shooting 20+ times per game every game. This at least gives D'Antoni a chance at putting his imprint on the system instead of putting something in that Kobe will just disregard to go solo.

• Moderators

I was thinking about this myself this morning... I'd hate to see one of Atlanta's own leaving and have been a big defender of Smith since his trade demands ceased, but I think the 'expectation of a franchise' is starting to break him. You can see it in his face... He just looks lost out there and doesn't know how to handle the pressure of being 'the man'.. I think he really needs a guy ahead of him on the totem pole for him to be able to perform. 13.8 pts, 7 rebs, 3 asts, 2 blks, and a steal per game aren't bad numbers for the second or third best player on a team... They aren't 'the man' type numbers though...Maybe Smith and Harris for Pau and a 1st? Personally, I'd rather see the Hawks, Lakers, and one/two other team(s) make a deal. I don't want 33 yo Pau on the team. I'd rather see us get a starting SF + backup C + pick. Maybe get Denver and Memphis involved and receive Gay + Mozgov + 2nd rounder? I think Rudy and Horf would mesh and would prevent double-teams... Nuggets get a post-player in Pau, Lakers get Smith, and Memphis gets their cap relief that they desperately need. There would definitely have to be other factors to make the deal work, but this does work for everyone.C - PachuliaPF - HorfordSF - GaySG - KorverPG - TeagueG - WilliamsG/F - StevensonC - MozgovF - TolliverPF - I. JohnsonSG - MorrowSG - JenkinsPF - ScottCould work.

I don't think the Lakers get Smith, but I do see D'Antoni going to the Lakers as a possible way for them to move Dwight for the long-term. I know it's a long-shot, but when has D'Antoni ever had and utilized a big, bruising center in the low post? Even when he had Shaq in Phoenix, it was in the latter years of Shaq's career and he wasn't a feature player. ESPN also just did a feature this morning talking about the Lakers choosing D'Antoni over Phil Jackson because deep down they want to revive the Lakers' of old when it was "Showtime". They see the Clippers across town exciting the fan base. They want to keep pace.A staple of D'Antoni's offense has always been run and gun and to do that, you need shooters. Coincidentally, we have a run and gun center (Horford) and alot of shooters (Morrow, Korver, Jenkins). We have alot of pieces that may interest them and can afford to take back a salary like Metta World Peace's. To get Dwight and lock him up, I'd take back MWP if need be.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I don't think the Lakers get Smith, but I do see D'Antoni going to the Lakers as a possible way for them to move Dwight for the long-term. I know it's a long-shot, but when has D'Antoni ever had and utilized a big, bruising center in the low post? Even when he had Shaq in Phoenix, it was in the latter years of Shaq's career and he wasn't a feature player. ESPN also just did a feature this morning talking about the Lakers choosing D'Antoni over Phil Jackson because deep down they want to revive the Lakers' of old when it was "Showtime". They see the Clippers across town exciting the fan base. They want to keep pace. A staple of D'Antoni's offense has always been run and gun and to do that, you need shooters. Coincidentally, we have a run and gun center (Horford) and alot of shooters (Morrow, Korver, Jenkins). We have alot of pieces that may interest them and can afford to take back a salary like Metta World Peace's. To get Dwight and lock him up, I'd take back MWP if need be.

The Lakers aren't moving Dwight and I think he'll do very well under D'Antoni.
  • Like 1

• Moderators

I don't think the Lakers get Smith, but I do see D'Antoni going to the Lakers as a possible way for them to move Dwight for the long-term. I know it's a long-shot, but when has D'Antoni ever had and utilized a big, bruising center in the low post? Even when he had Shaq in Phoenix, it was in the latter years of Shaq's career and he wasn't a feature player. ESPN also just did a feature this morning talking about the Lakers choosing D'Antoni over Phil Jackson because deep down they want to revive the Lakers' of old when it was "Showtime". They see the Clippers across town exciting the fan base. They want to keep pace. A staple of D'Antoni's offense has always been run and gun and to do that, you need shooters. Coincidentally, we have a run and gun center (Horford) and alot of shooters (Morrow, Korver, Jenkins). We have alot of pieces that may interest them and can afford to take back a salary like Metta World Peace's. To get Dwight and lock him up, I'd take back MWP if need be.

Do like what you are saying, but the only thing about it is that the Lakers are an international brand that needs superstars to run. Dwight is a superstar and Horf isn't. Sure Kobe is there and so is Nash, but they are old... Kupchak is looking to the future with Dwight.

Do like what you are saying, but the only thing about it is that the Lakers are an international brand that needs superstars to run. Dwight is a superstar and Horf isn't. Sure Kobe is there and so is Nash, but they are old... Kupchak is looking to the future with Dwight.

I totally agree to a point, but the Lakers can also make stars seem bigger than they are! Role guys like Derrick Fisher, Robert Horry, Rick Fox, etc... Those guys are the guys that excel in a Lakers system. I see Horford as a better talent than those guys, but a guy who works well within a system and doesn't have to be "the man" in order to be successful. We may have to give up Teague, Morrow, and Horford for D12, but that's a deal I'd be tempted to make if the opportunity presented itself. Howard may flourish with D'Antoni's system, but I don't see it. Stoudamire's been the biggest name at Center that was utilized and featured in a D'Antoni system and he's really more of a PF than a Center. His game resembles Horford's more than Howard's. Not to mention Horford would be a really good PnR partner for Nash. I'm not saying this definitely will happen, but I think our chances of getting Howard just got better with this HC change in LA. Will Howard be happy playing a vastly reduced role and getting the bulk of his points on put backs and alley-oops? Stephen A. Smith said this morning he doesn't see the Lakers winning a championship with the current personnel and D'Antoni as the HC. This pains me to say it, because S.A.S. is a dear, personal friend of mine, but for once in my life, I have to agree with him. (that last part was for you Dolfan) Edited by Dragitoff
  • Like 1

• Moderators

I totally agree to a point, but the Lakers can also make stars seem bigger than they are! Role guys like Derrick Fisher, Robert Horry, Rick Fox, etc... Those guys are the guys that excel in a Lakers system. I see Horford as a better talent than those guys, but a guy who works well within a system and doesn't have to be "the man" in order to be successful. We may have to give up Teague, Morrow, and Horford for D12, but that's a deal I'd be tempted to make if the opportunity presented itself. Howard may flourish with D'Antoni's system, but I don't see it. Stoudamire's been the biggest name at Center that was utilized and featured in a D'Antoni system and he's really more of a PF than a Center. His game resembles Horford's more than Howard's. Not to mention Horford would be a really good PnR partner for Nash. I'm not saying this definitely will happen, but I think our chances of getting Howard just got better with this HC change in LA. Will Howard be happy playing a vastly reduced role and getting the bulk of his points on put backs and alley-oops? Stephen A. Smith said this morning he doesn't see the Lakers winning a championship with the current personnel and D'Antoni as the HC. This pains me to say it, because S.A.S. is a dear, personal friend of mine, but for once in my life, I have to agree with him. (that last part was for you Dolfan)

I'd trade Horf OR Teague to LA, but not both. DF has already rejected a trade with LA because they wanted both Teague and Horf. Plus, why trade two great assets in Horf and Teague for Dwight when you could use them as leverage with Smith and Williams to get Howard to sign with us? One of Dwight's biggest gripes while in Orlando was that he never had help in the block and with rebounds. I think he'd love a situation where he is the man in his hometown with a great supporting cast of guys that are not just a bunch of shooters. Orlando never had guys like Horford, Smith, or Pachulia (they had Gortat and Davis, but w/e). Last years Orlando team was Dwight down low with four shooters (Anderson, Turks, Nelson, and Richardson) around him. Could you imagine Dwight with Horford, Smith, Korver, and Teague? And I agree with my dear friend and life partner S.A.S, the Lakers are not winning a championship with D'Antoni. All the man cares about is run-and-gun offense. His goal is just to outscore the opponent, not to play defense which is one of the Lakers' problems. I agree with you about centers in his scheme... they don't exist. Shaq was brought into PHX and was barely used. Dwight is more athletic than Shaq and he gets Nash back so maybe it works, but IDK. Plus, D'Antoni clashed with Carmelo and Amar'e in NY and ended up quitting on the team... One last thing, I don't believe his $20 million estate is a sign he plans on staying in LA. Numerous stars have more than one home... LeBron still has a home in Akron; Bynum and Paul both have homes in Atlanta. Harris lives in Milwaukee in the offseason... list goes on.

• Premium Member

Wow, just an update for you, no way D12 leaves LA for Atlanta.

I posted this idea as a side note in another thread here (http://hawksquawk.ne...ke-brown-fired/). I don't see Pau Gasol really fitting into a D'Antoni system, but I totally CAN see Josh Smith fitting in. Is this trade now more likely to happen? Less likely? No difference? Whether you like Josh Smith or not, you have to admit that trading for Gasol now would be a TURRIBLE idea.

Why do you think Smith would be a good fit in D'Antoni's system, which is based on quick screen-and-roll action that requires spacing (ie an ability to shoot)