• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Derrick Williams?

modawgatl18

• Premium Member
http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-am-bynum-almost-ready-for-court-work/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=nba-am-bynum-almost-ready-for-court-work&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter Hope this link works, but this article reinforces the notion that the Hawks do not want to trade Josh Smith and also states the Hawks want to build with BOTH Smith and Horford. Edited by Jody23

Can't finish at the rack ? He was an above the rim player in college.

So college is the NBA now? He was a beast at Zona, but he's been weak in the league.

• Premium Member

The article doesn't mention trading Josh. It mentions...

Anthony Morrow and John Jenkins

for

Derrick Williams

I say... absolutely!

That's the limit of my interest in trading for him. If they'd take that for him then sure go get us a tweener to go along with our other tweeners.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Even if it were for Morrow and Jenkins, I don't see it happening. At this point, I don't see Ferry wasting cap space on underachieving players. We saw where that got us with Marvin. If Ferry parts with ANY of the expiring deals in a trade, he's going to make it count.

Edited by Jody23

So college is the NBA now? He was a beast at Zona, but he's been weak in the league.

Finishing at the rack is not his problem....................his problem is on defense. He doens't have enough length to defend most PF and too slow to defend SFs.I never said I wanted him.....I would want there Euro center more then Williams..........just saying I disagree on what you say is his main weakness.

Is really a underacheiver this is his second year in the league he has no where near reached Marvin williams status yet he's just clearly unhappy with the wolves this is just a rumor but pekovic Williams barea for smith and korver would be a fair deal if it was reality just saying

Is really a underacheiver this is his second year in the league he has no where near reached Marvin williams status yet he's just clearly unhappy with the wolves this is just a rumor but pekovic Williams barea for smith and korver would be a fair deal if it was reality just saying

yeah for the wolves!....LOL no disrespect at all but Im glad your not GM cause there is nothing fair about this deal! I rather we trade with LA and get Gasol, and thats a stupid trade as well.

I dont see any upside in Derrick williams. he's not good defensively and he's too slow to play the 3!....just saying his offense aint that damn good where it is blinding you and others to thinking this deal is "fair"....wake up man, Smith does bonehead plays but he's worth more than that still.

Of course Derrick Williams is a risk. How else is a team without enough talent and poorly positioned talent supposed to get better without taking risks? Pekovic may be the prize in this deal because he moves AH to Pf, but Williams could at least be a great 1st post player off the bench with these two as he can play the 4 with either Al or Pekovic at the 5. Mind you, Williams may make a move to the 3 in which case we may fill out 2 needed positions.

Let me be clear, I like some other trade ideas better for JS, but it's hard to argue against a sure thing center and a #2 pick prospect (and Barea) for JS. Even if Williams ends up being at or about MW this isn't a bad deal given Pekovic. Mind you Williams proved to be a highly efficient go-to player at Arizona. He was at like 1.3 PPP his sophomore year while scoring 20 per. There is something there worth taking a risk on. He's not a head case like Beasley either.

In short, we have to take SOME risks to get better, Pekovic isn't a risk and would be valuable to us, Derrick Williams is a risk, but coming from Minny where talent goes to die, he may be a good one to take.

W

• Like 2

Of course Derrick Williams is a risk. How else is a team without enough talent and poorly positioned talent supposed to get better without taking risks? Pekovic may be the prize in this deal because he moves AH to Pf, but Williams could at least be a great 1st post player off the bench with these two as he can play the 4 with either Al or Pekovic at the 5. Mind you, Williams may make a move to the 3 in which case we may fill out 2 needed positions.

Let me be clear, I like some other trade ideas better for JS, but it's hard to argue against a sure thing center and a #2 pick prospect (and Barea) for JS. Even if Williams ends up being at or about MW this isn't a bad deal given Pekovic. Mind you Williams proved to be a highly efficient go-to player at Arizona. He was at like 1.3 PPP his sophomore year while scoring 20 per. There is something there worth taking a risk on. He's not a head case like Beasley either.

In short, we have to take SOME risks to get better, Pekovic isn't a risk and would be valuable to us, Derrick Williams is a risk, but coming from Minny where talent goes to die, he may be a good one to take.

W

well i can somewhat agree....only because people do change in different scenarios and that could be the case for Derrick Williams but in the sense of giving away smith for the dou of Derrick and pekovic its just not worth it to me. If smith continues to play with half a brain I will take that over Derrick Williams any day. however if we were talking about different players for smith than it indeed may be worth it.

What kills me is that this board seems to try to make the other team better. Example "Give LA Smith and Korver for Pau Gasol and whoever else"....thats a garbage trade and it makes LA a way better team but now we are talking Derrick Williams and Pekovic for Josh Smith and a fill in man!....REALLY?

So give the wolves Smith to go along with Rubio, Kevin Love and Roy! Why?

I guess some of the scenarios Im seeing doesnt make our team better at all. This isnt just a risk its a "what if" situation...honestly we had enough of "what if" situations.

Then whats really confusing is that some believe that Derrick Williams is that good. I have seen this guy play! I have NBA league pass and I watch every team! Derrick Williams has too many problems that smith will outweigh him in.....examples

1.derrick is way way way too slow to play the 3! we talk about smith playing the 3 you would be pissed to see derrick playing the 3. He has size but is more of a PF. Why do this trade if we still are going to have 2 starting caliber PF's?!

2.defense in just overall doesnt even compare! I dont know if Derrick is still adjusting and he probably is but until he does his defense is a major issue

3.Yeah he finished around the goal in college just like Beasley did in college but look this is the NBA I have seen this man struggle on finishing in the paint when contacted, he honestly isnt that much better than smith. He shoots better but hell we dont need shooters on the Atlanta hawks!....thats the last thing we need.

Derrick williams upside isnt that great like Demarcus Cousins or somebody! If cousins was smarter or had some of his issues taken care of that would be a trade to entertain but Derrick Williams?!....Smith is the better player now and in the future! If we gon trade him he need to be traded for a player with some real upside not a "I hope he gets good player"

Derrick williams upside isnt that great like Demarcus Cousins or somebody! If cousins was smarter or had some of his issues taken care of that would be a trade to entertain but Derrick Williams?!....Smith is the better player now and in the future! If we gon trade him he need to be traded for a player with some real upside not a "I hope he gets good player"

Sounds great. Who?

DW may be a "I hope he gets good player" but pekovick is already there. THAT is the point. This is a 2 for 1 deal. We aren't getting 2 players better than JS. We are getting one just short and one with POtential. We are doing so before signing JS to a near or max deal.

W

W

Walter, I agree there is a "risk" with every player, but Derrick Williams brings more to the table offensively, especially in half-court situations.

Derrick Williams is in the middle of his second season in the NBA and is 21 years old, and he wants out.

Josh Smith is not on the same level as LeBron, Carmelo, and tonight against OKC, Durant took his game to another level--offensively and displayed a varied skillset on the fast break and in half-court situations.

Josh is a hometown guy, and plays hard , but nine seasons is enough. There is a reason why he isn't an All-Star and there are certain intangibles in Josh's game that keeps him from gaining All-Star status and getting the respect as one of the best players in the league.

The Hawks are not likely to win a conference title much less a world championship if Josh is taking the MOST shots on the team. Russell Westbook, an All-Star point guard, gets similar criticism, but his overall skillset is significantly better.

Josh Smith is still a Top 5 shot blocker and is a solid defender at age 27, but this Hawks team has a void at the small forward position, and of course we lack a true center as well. The Hawks haven't had a true scoring small forward since Shareef Abdur Rahim and that was ten years ago.

Josh Smith has a limited offensive skiilset, but takes the most shots on the team and does Josh taking the most shots hurt the development of Jeff Teague and take away opportunities for Al Horford?

The Hawks made a difficult decision in parting ways with Joe Johnson and to a lesser extent Marvin Williams. The Hawks have managed to do well without Marvin and Joe, and is likely to do so if Josh is traded.

So far, the Hawks have over-achieved at 15-8, but haven't played Chicago, Boston, Brooklyn, New York, the Lakers, San Antonio and even Philadelphia --who the Hawks struggled against last season.

Of course Derrick Williams is a risk. How else is a team without enough talent and poorly positioned talent supposed to get better without taking risks? Pekovic may be the prize in this deal because he moves AH to Pf, but Williams could at least be a great 1st post player off the bench with these two as he can play the 4 with either Al or Pekovic at the 5. Mind you, Williams may make a move to the 3 in which case we may fill out 2 needed positions. Let me be clear, I like some other trade ideas better for JS, but it's hard to argue against a sure thing center and a #2 pick prospect (and Barea) for JS. Even if Williams ends up being at or about MW this isn't a bad deal given Pekovic. Mind you Williams proved to be a highly efficient go-to player at Arizona. He was at like 1.3 PPP his sophomore year while scoring 20 per. There is something there worth taking a risk on. He's not a head case like Beasley either. In short, we have to take SOME risks to get better, Pekovic isn't a risk and would be valuable to us, Derrick Williams is a risk, but coming from Minny where talent goes to die, he may be a good one to take. W

Great post. At least some people get it.

I have to say I'm intrigued by the proposed 3-team trade that gets us Pekovic, DW, and Berea. Walter's points are spot on. In essence, does anyone on this board believe the current Hawks will get out a 2nd round playoff match? With the trade there is potential to do that. Seond, you could easily flip these players in the offseason. I like DW, and I think he could emerge as a solid #3 scorer and play good, but not lockdown defense (but there are only a few who do in the NBA).