• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

This Message Board

Chaze

• Premium Member

That is exactly it. It isn't much different than the year before or the year before that. We all know how this ends and it isnt in a championship or even a conference championship.

What is there to get really excited about as a fan this year? We are just middle of the road and seem to be staying that way atleast for a while.

Maybe the lack of excitement is also from nobody knowing how we are going to get to the next level. We aren't doing it through the draft and no big name free agents will come unless we overpay.

That is what intrigues me right now. The fact that we took a new direction, the opportunity we have to retool/rebuild, and wondering when the big "tada!!!" is going to happen <---and by that I mean, when we have some indication as to what the "real" plan is.

As far as why the lack of interest...

I'm baffled as to why people can't see this. If you ask the casual basketball fan, they'll tell you in a minute why they don't care for the Hawks. But in here, there is this...defensive complacency...

The team isn't any better or worse than it was last year and has about the same ceiling. Big deal. Get over it. The team has a history of a 1st/2nd round ceiling. So what? Guess what...the team couldn't make it out of the 1st round last year either. Nobody cares about that. It's a new season. We don't have a go to guy. So what? We don't need one. We've got a balnced team and we're having a great regular season. Hell, we're always near the top of the East. Our attendance sucks? So what? It always sucks. Who cares about the bandwagon fans filling our arena. Does it matter? Who cares if the city doesn't support the team. Nobody cares about basketball in Atlanta anyway.

And I'm just like...

Posted Image

Huh....? Do you not hear yourselves...?

Who wants to see a team get beat up every year? You don't want better? You DON'T want the excitement of following a team that is chasing the title? You don't want to be one of the last teams standing? You don't want to be the team that the big stars are looking at come free agency? We just want an "entertaining" season and...on to the next one? You just want to be the team who's job it is to lay down or or give a contender "some trouble."

That's what you want?

I don't hate the team and I'm not a troll I'm just... Honestly, I don't have the words for it. I've been a die hard, supportive, POSITIVE guy for many years. But this team isn't going to surprise anybody. Especially not as long as we are riding Josh Smith as our centerpiece. I'm not hating, I'm just saying...I'm not expecting anything different this year - and that is not good.

Honestly, I don't know why people are surprised that we're winning. The team has talent and I figured we'd be around .500. We've made moves to stay competitive. That's great, but there are like 20 competitive teams in the NBA. Moreover, I've only EVER seen a "competitive" team here. In over 20 years...that's the only kind of team I have seen in a Hawks uniform. Not complaining...I'm just not going to get excited about that. Especially in a year with so much transition in the conference.

I love my team, but I already know what they are capable of. There is no drama in this season for me. I'll tune in and root for them, but I'm not sitting on the edge of my seat expecting great things. I'm anxious to see what we do with the roster to IMPROVE this team. But that's about it for me.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Posted Image

So to sum up your position: you are only really interested if we are unquestionably a contender?

I am always "interested" in the team but as Wretch said I've been watching a NON contender for thirty years here as a fan. Thirty damn years and not once did I ever seriously think our team could win a title. Just think about what that does to a fan. Thirty YEARS of NOT ONCE being a serious contender. To say it "gets old" is a massive understatement at this point.

Honestly? This is the NBA. This is the only sports league where unless you have a superstar you have virtually no chance of winning a title. This is undisputed. Ergo unless the Hawks get a superstar this team will NEVER be a serious contender. Myself and other fans like Wretch and Vol4ever and others are tired of settling for "second round exit" barcodes on a season product. Give me a contender then I'll be posting here like a maniac.

• Like 1

Let's face it - posting is fun when the team sucks...you can complain and also talk about hopes for the lottery.

Posting is also fun if your team is a serious contender (I suppose - I don't have experience in that realm).

When your team is a B+/- product on any given night and you realize that not only won't you likely contend - your ownership group is looking for successful used car salesmen to make a bid so they can GTFOut...it kinda takes the shine off of things.

That said...I still love the Chatroom (where the real action is) and support/praise/criticize/blame as the action goes "minute-to-minute".

I just have a hard time getting excited about the future of our franchise with the current ownership. We should have stuck with Belkin.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

The answer to the question of why fan aren't excited about this year's team is obvious. Atlanta fans just suck! Cleveland fans still come out to watch their team...Detroit still comes out to watch their team...Indy comes out to watch their team...Boston, New Jersey, Dallas, Denver, Golden State etc all come out and support their teams and are excited about their seasons thus far. But Atlanta is not a sports town and that's obvious. Heck People still aren't 100% behind the Falcons yet. But that's the answer! Its not the team but rather its fans.

• Premium Member

The answer to the question of why fan aren't excited about this year's team is obvious. Atlanta fans just suck! Cleveland fans still come out to watch their team...Detroit still comes out to watch their team...Indy comes out to watch their team...Boston, New Jersey, Dallas, Denver, Golden State etc all come out and support their teams and are excited about their seasons thus far. But Atlanta is not a sports town and that's obvious. Heck People still aren't 100% behind the Falcons yet. But that's the answer! Its not the team but rather its fans.

Man..........

There are so many championships, conference finals battles, finals battles, MVP's, retired numbers, All NBA players, All PRO players, All Star Starters across those teams. So much history and so much for their fans to hope for. So much tradition...and you compare what THOSE fans are expecting to what ATLANTA fans expect? A team that has yet to even SNIFF the conference finals in over 40 years?

Fans DESERVE better and should DEMAND better... Not sit around counting moral victories. That isn't even a conversation worth having.

• Like 1

I am only a Braves and Hawks fan. It seems like the city has a pretty weak fan base for their teams. I mean in the Braves run they couldn't even sell out a playoff game.

• Premium Member

I am only a Braves and Hawks fan. It seems like the city has a pretty weak fan base for their teams. I mean in the Braves run they couldn't even sell out a playoff game.

People are tired of the Braves not putting a contending team on the field. Right now the Braves desperately need a LF and a lead off hitter, but refuse to spend the money to remedy this situation. IMO McCann is over rated, gave him a big contract when we have a top level talent at catcher in the minor leagues. They better hope that BJ Upton steps up. Michael Bourn was a very good lead off hitter, we have a lot to do to match his lead off abilities.