• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

This Message Board

Chaze

This is very common every holiday season. Things get extremely busy during the trade deadline, playoffs, right before the season begins and draft time. After the NFL playoffs are over, things pick up very quickly and all of a sudden 30 new people will join the Sqauwk and all be experts. Two or 3 will be trolls and we'll spend a couple of weeks arguing with them over their crazy opinions...then boom...playoffs...woot.

• Like 1

It is the holidays and I think there's a certain sense of uncertainty with this team. I mean in many ways, I love the fact that we're past the Joe Johnson era and I don't want to ever go back to that. But I really don't know what to expect from this team. I thought Josh would be a little more consistent this year and it hasn't happened. I love our strong shooting, Teague slowly developing into a decent pg, Lou off the bench, Al getting his double-double and the ever-looming possibility of a trade that could take us up a level. But right now, I think a lot of squawkers just don't know what to think. Just my two cents.

• Premium Member

I'm around, but I find I don't have much to say. This season is one of transition. We don't have the roster to make noise (or, frankly, win more than 1-2 games) come playoff time, and we also aren't going to be bad enough to get a top 10 draft pick. And honestly, last season was filled with ugly basketball and little suspense, so I wasn't all that pumped even before we traded away JJ. It looks like that Game 1 win over Chicago will be the Hawks' high water mark for the first 15 years of this century. I just find it hard to stay interested given that.

• Like 1

I have no idea why, but it seems some posters are quiet after we win, but seem almost validated when we lose, like "I told you so." There are a few past Joe Johnson fans who hate the fact we're better without him, and that's really unfortunate: how you can be a JJ fan above a Hawks fan is beyond me. I guess they want us to be terrible so we can secure a lottery pick, which is downright silly. Some just cant stand the fact they had the Hawks for dead before the season started and for some reason try to shortchange what Ferry has done. Additionally though, I got the malfunctioning proxy server notice or whatever for the past 2 days so I haven't been able to access the site.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Personally...I'm just kinda sitting here holding my breath. I'm in a strange spot with this team right now...

First and foremost, I have written off the season. I've watched fewer games this year than I have since I became a Hawks fan in 1985. I just can't get excited about rolling out a lame duck. Seriously...I have watched a very good Hawks team get beaten every year in the playoffs for the past 27 years (when they made it that is). It would be one thing if there were a few thrillers that put me at the edge of my seat, but in all that time...I have only seen one really good series (Bird vs. Nique). The rest have been...pretty much an asswhoopin. Our first playoff trip with this core was brilliant, but ended in a thud... Just tired of that song. Without some changes, we're primed to sing it again.

On the other hand, I'm EXTREMELY excited that we have a new GM and supposedly...a new vision. That's the real drama for me. I'm eager to see how he shapes this team and I'm excited by all the possibilities. I'm holding out hope that we can finally build a contender. Thing is...it's a waiting game. Until there is some indication as to what we're doing with Smoove or exactly how Ferry intends to build a contender, there's not much for me to speculate on or talk about.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I think it's some of what benhillboy said and a crash off the initial Ferry high. The diehard Joe Johnson fans are probably still processing the fact that he's gone. But, it's still early so for better or worse, they'll be back. In addition, Ferry's initial surge of activity spoiled many of us into thinking he would remain active instead of riding this season with a roster full of expirings. Based off of recent articles, it doesn't seem Ferry is interested in doing anything further with the roster until the offseason unless it's a significant move that CLEARLY makes the team better now.

• Like 1

Watching this team, we must conclude that there is a possibility

that, on any given night, they will be blown away. But, there is

that possibility that they will prevail, regardless of their opponent.

This can be very unsettling. We expect a victory and we don't get

it. We expect a blowout loss and we win.

This year's Hawk team is very inconsistent, to say the least. They come

on the floor with energy and determination. They fight their way to

victory, well deserved. Shots fall, including threes. We expect this

every night. Then, they look like a JV team that is forced to work out

with the varsity. Completely outclassed.

We beat good teams and lose to lesser ones. The closer we come to

mid season - - - The trading deadline, the more we know that this team,

if they remain healthy, can lay a licking on any team at any time.

What will we be like by playoff time? Right now, no one would really

want to face our crew. They might win easily or they might get buried

and be out of it for the season.

Not knowing, that's what the matter is. We can't decide. Can we or

can't we? Will we or will we not?

Posted Image

• Like 1

It does feel like some might be taking a step back and perhaps taking a break from the Hawks. The JJ Era was an emotional rollercoaster. With little expectations for this year team. It is a good time to just kick back and take it easy as far as being a fan. At least that is the way it is for me. I am not as invested in this season as I have been in the past. I still check the games out whenever I can.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

It does feel like some might be taking a step back and perhaps taking a break from the Hawks. The JJ Era was an emotional rollercoaster. With little expectations for this year team. It is a good time to just kick back and take it easy as far as being a fan. At least that is the way it is for me. I am not as invested in this season as I have been in the past. I still check the games out whenever I can.

Your avatar is funneh. :)

• Premium Member

I don't know if people are talking about me when they are white washing Joe Johnson fans as not posting much any more out of some sense of bitterness but that's not why I am less active. This is a transition season and unless we make an in season trade there's honestly nothing the team does that will elicit much of a response from me. We all know this team is just a one year rental.

The only real questions will be the off season. Will we go after the superstars as promised by Ferry and the A$G? Will they make the idiotic decision to pay Josh to stay? That's when we'll see more activity on the board.

• Like 4

I think it's some of what benhillboy said and a crash off the initial Ferry high. The diehard Joe Johnson fans are probably still processing the fact that he's gone. But, it's still early so for better or worse, they'll be back. In addition, Ferry's initial surge of activity spoiled many of us into thinking he would remain active instead of riding this season with a roster full of expirings. Based off of recent articles, it doesn't seem Ferry is interested in doing anything further with the roster until the offseason unless it's a significant move that CLEARLY makes the team better now.

I'm posting a lot more here now, than I did last year.Of course that means that I'm posting a lot less on the AJC blog.Here's a question . . . does the decrease in posts correlate with the decrease in actual fan support the Hawks are receiving at the arena?
  • Like 2