• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Spurs interested in Smoove

Splitter seems like Ferrys kind of player

I haven't seen enough of him personally. He doesn't log enough minutes to make an evaluation on how he'd project with regular starter's minutes, but his True Shooting is off the chart, assist rate very good, rebounding rate slightly below average for a C. I am sure he's an intelligent player, that's most important to me. I've always said I'd take anything from the Spurs because they don't make mistakes on personnel in the first place. Teams can benefit from their outstanding scouting a few years later if they have to part with a piece and picking Popovich's brain and applying what you've learned at your next stop is invaluable. Stephen Jackson wouldn't have been a part of taking two poor franchises to the playoffs in between his Spurs stints hadn't be learned from one of the best to ever do it with a shiny ring to show for it. Edited by benhillboy

Ben, there's been multiple studies showing that a player with good to great stats in limited minutes more often than not keep or improve those averages with starters minutes. As mentioned above I could get behind Green and Splitter but if we could get Leonard instead of Green I would give up our best 1st this year and the right to swap picks with the Nets in the future.

I think the more likely deal is Splitter, SJax, and maybe the late first rounder. That would fit what Ferry wants - a productive C on a good contract, and SJax is expiring so not taking on much long term money.

Smoove makes some sense for the Spurs as well....they improve in the front court, and make room for an expanded role for Leonard. A playoff move for sure, and one that gives a defensive upgrade.

Zero chance they trade us Leonard. More likely some picks and lesser players.

I would hope for 2 first rounders if all we get is Splitter and Jackson's expiring contract and a pick around #28.

At least this deal does nothing really to hurt our cap situation in 2013. That in itself has value.

I think this is the most logical destination... never underestimate the power of relationships in making these deals happen.

It also keeps the Spurs out of the Al Jefferson trade sweepstakes...............making it easier to sign Al Jefferson in free agency IF he is a player that intrigues Ferry for the right price.

I would be pulling for the Spurs to go all the way if they make this trade and would be rooting for Josh Smith to finally "get it."

Edited by coachx

It also keeps the Spurs out of the Al Jefferson trade sweepstakes...............making it easier to sign Al Jefferson in free agency IF he is a player that intrigues Ferry for the right price.

I would be pulling for the Spurs to go all the way if they make this trade and would be rooting for Josh Smith to finally "get it."

I couldn't. Knowing that we already put Philly in the finals and Detroit in the finals... Something which has not happened to this team? I just cannot root for that.

• Like 1

I couldn't. Knowing that we already put Philly in the finals and Detroit in the finals... Something which has not happened to this team? I just cannot root for that.

Well, I'm already a Spurs fan...........have liked Pop since he won his 1st championship. He and Sloan were my favorite 2 coaches who taught the game the "old" way. I'd root for them without Josh. If they get knocked out of the playoffs then I root for the Thunder.....b/c they have the best shot at beating Miami.

• Like 3

All teams are interested in Josh, why wouldn't you be for a versatile talent like him. It's just a matter of who is serious enough to give up assets.

Leonard has to be included. How does a poor mans Laettner who is 28 fit into Ferry's plan as the centerpiece. Pop would turn Josh into Lebron lite.

How does a poor mans Laettner who is 28 fit into Ferry's plan as the centerpiece.

Just killed Splitter in one sentence! Like I said I can't form an opinion of him due to not seeing him enough, this sounds like a simple to the point evaluation, Kim. Didnt know he was 28, hated Laettner, I'll pass! I'd bet the house Leonard is off limits. He virtually has no weaknesses. Edited by benhillboy

Makes a lot of sense for Josh to go to SA. If anyone can get Josh's head screwed on right its Pop. Look what he did with Diaw. Who plays center for the Spurs then? (Duncan?) But then I'm more interested in what's in it for us. Leonard would be great, Splitter might be ok, but haven't seen him much either, except when he's played the Hawks I recall thinking why can't we ever get an unhearalded big like that that can play.

Edited by Randy

Spurs getting Josh Smith would be HUGE move for them. Josh Smith being coached by Popovich, and taught by Duncan. SCARY! Popovich would turn Josh to Lebron light. Maybe be the guy for 2 or 3 years after Duncan retires. But I'm with Hotlanta81 tho. We gave the Sixers Deke and the went to the finals. We gave the Pistons Sheed and they WON the finals. If we give Spurs Smoove they are going back to the finals and probably winning it.

They not giving us Leonard though.

This doesn't strike me as something the Spurs would do. I never think of San Antonio being a team that adds these types of players. Especially via a mid season trade. There is nothing here, folks.

I actually think a kawhi for Smoove swap works for both teams and is fair for both ...kawhi is gonna be a star but Smoove can get the Spurs another ring this year and Pop is prolly the best coach to get the max production from Smoove. I think what you guys are thinking regarding the trade is how Smoove plays right now with us. You have to imagine a Smoove under Pop would be much more efficient. Smoove+ 1st( our own pick not Rockets)ForKawhi + Jax