• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks ready to send Smoove to Bucks for Ellis.

ATLscrubLove

• Premium Member

Opt out.. so someone can pay him more than $11M per year? *boggle*

Pay him more? I doubt it. Perhaps someone will but certainly not the Hawks. If true, the Hawks might already know that Josh won't re-sign and sign and trade options will be a no go in the off season imo.

• Premium Member

Maybe Ferry thinks Ellis will play so bad that the team will lose more games than they will with Josh? But hell, it's almost too late to hope for a great draft pick isn't it? The team already has... What, 29 wins already?

If true, I think the Hawks would get more than just Monta while requiring Monta to opt out of his deal. That being said, the only way this could be true is if the Hawks know for certain that they will lose Josh in the off season.

If true, I think the Hawks would get more than just Monta while requiring Monta to opt out of his deal. That being said, the only way this could be true is if the Hawks know for certain that they will lose Josh in the off season.

If they get Sanders and a draft pick I will think a bit differently... But Ellis alone... eh...

• Like 1

Where's our resident capologist?

We know that a departing free agent has a cap hit, but does a player who opted out? That would be crafty of Ferry, if not.

If a player's early termination option resulted in no cap hit -- I can see how a 1-for-1 would be a good deal. I dunno (and doubt) that's the case, though.

If a player's early termination option resulted in no cap hit -- I can see how a 1-for-1 would be a good deal. I dunno (and doubt) that's the case, though.

We could just as easily renounce Josh after the season and not have a cap hold so there's truly no reason beyond changing the dynamic of the team on the court this season to do this trade. Even though it's a major risk that Monta might exercise his player option for next season in lieu of trying for a longer term deal as an UFA.

We could just as easily renounce Josh after the season and not have a cap hold so there's truly no reason beyond changing the dynamic of the team on the court this season to do this trade. Even though it's a major risk that Monta might exercise his player option for next season in lieu of trying for a longer term deal as an UFA.

You would almost have to think that Josh is a major problem in the locker room if they do this trade straight up.

• Like 1

Ahhh that makes sense. Didn't know about the renounce thing.

Ahhh that makes sense. Didn't know about the renounce thing.

Yep we'll have to renounce any of our FA's that we don't plan to keep so that we can free up their cap hold. I don't know whether or not we can re-sign a player after renouncing them or not though so maybe one of the capologists can clarify that.

Yep we'll have to renounce any of our FA's that we don't plan to keep so that we can free up their cap hold. I don't know whether or not we can re-sign a player after renouncing them or not though so maybe one of the capologists can clarify that.

Yeah, that would make sense. Otherwise you'd renounce, sign other teams' FAs, then re-sign your renounced guy with Bird rights. Loophole central.