• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What Makes a Contender?

PSSSHHHRRR87

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Amazing that no one thinks Atlanta will support a Spurs-like team. I have to agree, based on current ticket-buyers, but a Spurs-like team would hopefully create new fans that aren't as starstruck. And the long-suffering Hawks may finally pull their on-the-fence friends on board. I wonder how this team would be doing right now had Lebron gone to New York? We could be working towards our first division title since we joined the Southeast, oddly enough.

• Moderators

Amazing that no one thinks Atlanta will support a Spurs-like team. I have to agree, based on current ticket-buyers, but a Spurs-like team would hopefully create new fans that aren't as starstruck. And the long-suffering Hawks may finally pull their on-the-fence friends on board. I wonder how this team would be doing right now had Lebron gone to New York? We could be working towards our first division title since we joined the Southeast, oddly enough.

I think we'd support a team like that if they could win big games. A Spurs like team is hard to define because its not like they don't have superstars. I hate to say it but getting rid of Smoove and bringing in some workman like quality players would probably boost interest but you still have to have a scorer. No matter how you slice it. Honestly, Teague Harden, Horford probably would have been a good core to roll with because Harden can score and he has personality. What our next move is i don't know.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

My thoughts:

I like what we have, but Josh is too far up the offensive totem pole to be a constant success. We need another star with the offensive skill set to take shots away from Josh. Also, Teague needs to keep working on his mid-range jumper and to develop his leadership skills. We need Teague to pull a Rondo. I also feel that we can contend with Josh on the team, but Ferry needs a coach with a strong personality that isn't going to let Josh free-wheel on offense. Larry Drew is not the answer. He is great out of the TO, but I am tired of his horrible substitutions and his willingness to let Josh run wild in the offense.

As for Ferry, I have been happy with every move he has done thus far. I became a Ferry supporter the day Joe and Marv were traded. Afterwards, he signed Lou and traded for Korver. Loved both of those moves. I believe the biggest task on his clipboard is to get a starting center to get Horf over to the 4. Horf is too good of a player to waste his career on getting dominated by bigger, heavier centers such as Dwight, Bynum, Pek, Lopez, Cousins, Noah, and Hibbert. A close second is retaining Teague and Korver at reasonable prices.

The fans will turn around and root for the Hawks, but it'll take a name to do so. The Spurs prove that the fans in Atlanta don't care about championships as much as they do the superstar players. It's the reason why the "Let's Go Heat" chants started just recently and the city is full of Lakers and Bulls' fans because the Bulls had Jordan, Lakers have Kobe, and Miami have LBJ, Bosh, and Wade. They go for the players, not the team and if the ASG is to make profit off of this, they need Dwight or somebody. If they can lure a big dog to the play yard, I think they'll have no issue filling seats. The thing I hope is that the ones that go for the players will learn to love the team too...

Ultimately, time will reveal what the source our attendance problems are...but I honestly believe it's the lack of a true winner and not necessarily the lack of a star player. I know it may come as a shock to some, given that I have been one of the main guys yelling "GET A SUPERSTAR PLAYER HERE!!!" The truth is, I'm not the kind of guy that goes nuts over big names. I just know what it takes to win big.

Anywho, I think people in ATL follow the stars because those are the teams that are winning. They're not following the Spurs, but...neither do I for that matter lol. However, I can tell you there were a LOT of Spurs fans in my area back in the day...just because people hated Kobe so much. Same with the Pistons...I knew a lot of Pistons fans from both of their recent winning eras. I know a lot of NY fans, just because the team is...from NY. It's almost like they pick teams like they pick hats...whichever looks nice and matches their outfit.

You're never going to win that kind of fan over, but if we put a TRUE winner on the court...a contender...then the people who actually do care about the team will come out more. Less room for bandwagon fans/haters. If the Heat and Celtics and Bulls are coming out of Phillips with a loss, they'll stop coming out...and there will be even more room for true fans. Eventually the culture change will happen. You just have to give it time and maintain it. We did a piss poor job of building on our momentum when we were on the rise.

I think we'd support a team like that if they could win big games. A Spurs like team is hard to define because its not like they don't have superstars. I hate to say it but getting rid of Smoove and bringing in some workman like quality players would probably boost interest but you still have to have a scorer. No matter how you slice it. Honestly, Teague Harden, Horford probably would have been a good core to roll with because Harden can score and he has personality. What our next move is i don't know.

Def'ly agree with this. Sad that he couldn't be part of the solution instead of the problem.

• Moderators

The Spurs have a multiple MVP superstar and first ballot NBA HOF in Tim Duncan. They have a first or second team All-NBA PG this season in Tony Parker. They have great supporting parts. Atlanta would support a team like that but that is a team with 1 All-Time Great superstar and a second superstar to boot. To paraphrase Pitino, Tim Duncan isn't walking in that door...

• Moderators

The Spurs have a multiple MVP superstar and first ballot NBA HOF in Tim Duncan. They have a first or second team All-NBA PG this season in Tony Parker. They have great supporting parts. Atlanta would support a team like that but that is a team with 1 All-Time Great superstar and a second superstar to boot. To paraphrase Pitino, Tim Duncan isn't walking in that door...

Yes the Spurs have a superstar in Duncan and two All Stars in Parker and Ginoboli, but what I mean about a "Spurs-like team" is that they aren't a flashy, exciting team to watch. Fundamentals and defense won't grab the fans in Atlanta. Fans here want show time.