• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Tyreke Evans vs. O.J. Mayo

PSSSHHHRRR87

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Moderators

Was looking at the 2013 NBA Free Agents List and Evans and Mayo will be free agents this summer. SG is definitely a need this offseason because it seems that SG is our most shuffled position when the starting lineups are released and ever since Lou went down with that ACL, we have been missing a guy that can create his own shot. Both would be guys that would fit in with the Hawks because they are both SG's with size and are all-around scorers. Tyreke is listed and has played most of his career at PG, but has stated that he prefers playing at the SG spot. Both guys are right around 6'6", 215 lbs. Tyreke is younger by almost 2 yrs and both have played in Memphis, so I don't think playing in Atlanta and living here would be a problem.

2012-13 Stats:

Tyreke Evans:

[*]15.4 pts [*]3.7 asts [*]4.4 rebs [*]1.5 stls [*]2.0 to's [*]PER of 18.38

O.J. Mayo:

[*]16.3 pts [*]4.4 asts [*]3.6 rebs [*]1.2 stls [*]2.2 to's [*]PER of 15.05

My problem with both is that I have read that Evans is a cancer in the locker room and I am not sold on O.J. being a consistent starter for us. I am posting this to get responses on what should be done with the SG vacancy that the Joe trade left. I've seen a lot of O.J. from his Grizzlies days, but not a whole lot of Tyreke, although he was a rookie of the year and played under Calipari while at Memphis. What do you guys think of Tyreke/O.J.? Who would be the better player long term? Is there someone else that the Hawks should consider whether it be a free agent or draftee? Should we just keep going with Harris or Korver?

Edited by PSSSHHHRRR87

Stats are not comparable, Mayo did it on a playoff team while Evans has done it in one of the worst teams on the NBA, Mayo has also 3pt range, Evans hasn't and Mayo would not take the ball out of Jeff's hands, Evans needs the ball on his hands to produce and do not involve other players on the offense, Sac is known as one of the worst offense on NBA. For me the choice is clear, Mayo is the best fit for this team, he can be an off the ball scorer.

• Like 1

Not a huge fan of either. If we had to get one, I'm a bigger fan of Evans's upside I guess. Honestly, I'd rather roll out a Korver/Jenkins/Lou Will rotation (maybe a draft pick too) and save the cap for a future trade than either of those options unless they come fairly cheaply. Coaching and the frontcourt (3 and a 5) are bigger concerns IMO.

• Premium Member

I like both of these guys and I think they're both better suited to SG. Mayo's a little short, but dude can shoot. And when he gets hot...it's like he's on the court by himself. I like Tyreke better, because he's taller and is amazing in the lane. His handles and his ability to finish are promising. Both have upside, but OJ is finding his niche in Dallas. You still get the feeling watching Tyreke that he may have some untapped potential.

At SG, I don't care about either of them being able to pass - that's not their job. You want your SG to take shots. By that token though, neither of these guys are black holes either. I've actually read the exact opposite about Tyreke (and that guys in the locker room really like him). Funny thing is, it appears that Sacramento doesn't have any direction right now (on the court or in the front office) and Tyreke isn't being used the way he should.

All things considered, both have their good points, but I'd take Tyreke (as a SG), just because it gives us another guy that can penetrate. His handles are incredible and he may be one of those guys that just needs a change of scenery (or a change in leadership).

I like both of these guys and I think they're both better suited to SG. Mayo's a little short, but dude can shoot. And when he gets hot...it's like he's on the court by himself. I like Tyreke better, because he's taller and is amazing in the lane. His handles and his ability to finish are promising. Both have upside, but OJ is finding his niche in Dallas. You still get the feeling watching Tyreke that he may have some untapped potential.

At SG, I don't care about either of them being able to pass - that's not their job. You want your SG to take shots. By that token though, neither of these guys are black holes either. I've actually read the exact opposite about Tyreke (and that guys in the locker room really like him). Funny thing is, it appears that Sacramento doesn't have any direction right now (on the court or in the front office) and Tyreke isn't being used the way he should.

All things considered, both have their good points, but I'd take Tyreke (as a SG), just because it gives us another guy that can penetrate. His handles are incredible and he may be one of those guys that just needs a change of scenery (or a change in leadership).

The problem with Tyreke at SG is that he can't shoot.

Tyreke and Teague both attacking the rim and dunking would be fun to see.

The problem with Tyreke at SG is that he can't shoot.

34% from 3 is not horrible and respectable. He really worked on his shot last summer. Besides, I don't want guards shooting 3's unless they have to. Attack at will IMO.

• Moderators

34% from 3 is not horrible and respectable. He really worked on his shot last summer. Besides, I don't want guards shooting 3's unless they have to. Attack at will IMO.

If you can shoot 3's like Korver or Kevin Martin, etc. you should be shooting a steady stream of 3's and your coach should love it - both for the scoring efficiency and for the floor spacing. Hopefully, Jenkins will be a guy like that and we will love it.

Mayo is the same size as Jenkins... no more undersized guards please. Plus I think Jenkins will eventually be as good as Mayo anyway.

they're the same size as Dwyane Wade as well. Its not the height it's the athleticism that allows u to play bigger. They're 6'4 but are undersized, while guys that are 6'5 are fine? thats just a 1 inch difference

they're the same size as Dwyane Wade as well. Its not the height it's the athleticism that allows u to play bigger. They're 6'4 but are undersized, while guys that are 6'5 are fine? thats just a 1 inch difference

dwade has a freakish 6,11 wingspan with a 8,6 standing reach

Oj mayo has a average wingspan of 6,6 with a standing reach of 8,3.5

Dwade has freakish length while OJ mayo has very average length so he is considered under sized

I would take tyreke evans to answer OP question because I like his ability to finish at the rim and be a monster in transition he can be a big upgrade to devin harris and I believe OJ mayo will be grossly overpaid. If we can get tyreke for under a 10 mil salary I would be onboard to get him.

But tyreke needs to be groomed and coached very carefully. He comes from a culture that is even more dysfunctional than the hawks this means NO LD.

Edited by yungsta

Huh ? You lost me. Guards are supposed to be able to shoot............especially at the shooting-guard position.

That like saying you don't want your running back to run or your defensive back to play defense for heaven's sakes !

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Tyreke can shoot. His 3 pointer is respectable and he is unquestionable scoring at the rim. He doesn't take a lot of midrange shots, but...doesn't that also mean he doesn't take a ton of long 2's? Regardless, you have to wonder if he'll develop that part of his game...because he's capable of hitting the midrange off the dribble. Especially with the way he handles the ball - his ball control is ridiculous.

Much of the criticism I hear about him is the same that I heard about Teague, but like Jeff...it'd be one thing if this guy were a 8 year vet, launching a ton of midrange shots, and you're looking to max him out just over the apex of his career. Tyreke has only been in the the league 3 years...in a very unstable environment at that. I'm not making any excuses for him, or trying to call him a savior or anything, but he has serious potential and he's worth a look at the right price. His game looks very strong going at the rim.

Guys are writing him off like he's damaged goods or a veteran 1-trick pony.

Tyreke can shoot. His 3 pointer is respectable and he is unquestionable scoring at the rim. He doesn't take a lot of midrange shots, but...doesn't that also mean he doesn't take a ton of long 2's? Regardless, you have to wonder if he'll develop that part of his game...because he's capable of hitting the midrange off the dribble. Especially with the way he handles the ball - his ball control is ridiculous.

Much of the criticism I hear about him is the same that I heard about Teague, but like Jeff...it'd be one thing if this guy were a 8 year vet, launching a ton of midrange shots, and you're looking to max him out just over the apex of his career. Tyreke has only been in the the league 3 years...in a very unstable environment at that. I'm not making any excuses for him, or trying to call him a savior or anything, but he has serious potential and he's worth a look at the right price. His game looks very strong going at the rim.

Guys are writing him off like he's damaged goods or a veteran 1-trick pony.

only 38 made 3s on the year is not respectable in my eyes, and hes about to finish his 4th year. where u get 3 years from? I want my 2 guard to be able to knock down open shots. I dont want another player defenders can help off of because they cant shoot

Edited by Cwell

• Premium Member

only 38 made 3s on the year is not respectable in my eyes, and hes about to finish his 4th year. where u get 3 years from? I want my 2 guard to be able to knock down open shots. I dont want another player defenders can help off of because they cant shoot

Y'know...

I've done the merry-go-round with people about players for many many many many years. I stopped doing that about 8 years ago when I argued people to death about drafting Chris Paul. in the end, management makes the decisions and no matter how loud I scream, it won't change the direction they go in. What's left is an argument over pride - "I know more about basketball and players than you do." That sort of thing, I've just too old for.

So, you may be right and he may be a bum. Others may be right, and he may be waiting to blossom. I'm going to stick by what I've said, which is the same thing I said about Jeff Teague when people were so convinced he was a bum.

He's hitting on 33% of his threes. It's certainly not near the top of the list where the best 3point shooters are, but he doesn't shoot a ton of jumpers (which is consistent with his ROY performance). You can attribute it to confidence or lack of good coaching, or just failure...but I won't call it ineptitude until I see him really working on his jump shot and missing miserably. As it were, the guy sticks close to what he knows he's good at.

When I evaluate players, i don't pay too much attention to stats. I watch the mechanics of how they play and I base my opinions on that. Two points isn't always two points. Stat collection is quantitative and not at all qualitative. A garbage time layup with 20 seconds left in the game is not the same as a highly contested layup with 20 seconds left in a close game. But over the course of the season, these numbers are going to add up in quantity. It's not going to tell you much about degree of difficulty, pressure situations, or anything that really defines how good a player is.

When I look at Tyreke, I see a guy that is scary good with this handles and the ability to finish or free himself up for a jumper. Now, he doesn't make a lot of jumpers, but then again...he doesn't take a lot of them. I also see a guy in a bad situation that may need some grooming and a more focused role (like Teague). I don't think we're winning anything anytime soon, so I would take a chance on him. You wouldn't so, agree to disagree. Let's revisit this in 3 or 4 years and see what kind of player he actually tuns into - I will.

(...and I wasn't paying attention to how many years he's been in the league, but yeah it's been 4. That doesn't change my opinion.)

• Like 1

My ideal height for a 2 is 6'6" or above, nothing less, so I'm not high on either of these guys. In a perfect world, we could just ask the Pacers to clone us a Paul George. I'm a Kobe guy, so my philosophy separates 2s based on defensive versatility. I've seen Tyreke guard some bigger guys, but it certainly isn't ideal.

Edited by benhillboy

I wouldn't mind Evans at all. In addition to his ball-handling the guy can play some defense. His arms are very long and his hands are big. I do think he can develop into a consistant 20 ppg guy. Thus a good scorer but not a primary guy.