• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

LD getting killed on local radio for saying...

NineOhTheRino

• Premium Member

Im really, really proud of my group. When youve got 11 or 12 guys on one-year deals, and the coach is in his last year, it could've gone either way. But we hung in there and stuck with it.

Apparently the people at 790 feel this statement proves LD has a loser's mentality. Agree? Edited by NineOhTheRino

790 guys just playing radio as usual.

I can't listen to them b/c I live more then 10 miles outside of downtown. Worst sports talk in Atlanta hands down. If they were worth a crap they would have the advertising dollars to shoot their signal outside the perimeter.

I find it hilrious that they were advertising "The Chipper Jones Show" for 1 day a week. Then the media asked Chipper about it and he has no clue what 790 is talking about.

Edited by coachx

• Premium Member

coachx, on 06 May 2013 - 08:51 AM, said:790 guys just playing radio as usual.I can't listen to them b/c I live more then 10 miles outside of downtown. Worst sports talk in Atlanta hands down. If they were worth a crap they would have the advertising dollars to shoot their signal outside the perimeter.I find it halrious how they were advertising they would have "The Chipper Jones Show" for 1 day a week. Then the media ask Chipper about it and he has no clue what 790 is talking about.

They are the MSNBC - Fox News of sports radio. The formula is simple....hyperbole moves the meter.

You're right guys. We should be proud of what LD and this team accomplished this year. It was AMAZING! We did it! The substitution patterns, the strategic moves, the hustle, the motivation. Our coach and players looked focused in the Playoffs, and never looked out of sync. Anyone got any champagne?

• Like 4

• Moderators

680 the Fan FTW! And I listen my sports talk usually by podcast. As to the OP's original question... I believe it can be looked at either way. From LD's POV, uncertainty and how vigorously Josh was shopped at the trade deadline could have killed this team. If you knew you could be jobless by the end of April, that sense of uneasiness will set in. How will I feed my family? How will I pay the mortgage? Where will I be working? Am I going to have to move? These are all questions running through the average man's head... Now sure, a LD is more than likely a millionaire and wouldn't have these questions, but the uncertainty and the severe lack of job security still exists and natural human feeling of doubt creeps in. Now from an outsiders perspective, I could see it as a sign of weakness. As fans, we expect the team to go out there and perform, regardless of circumstances. We expect them to leave their lives in the locker room and switch basketball on and off. Problem is, they're human too. Could you walk into your last day of employment knowing you won't have a job tomorrow and still have the desire to perform the job at a high level?Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Premium Member

The Game is garbage. I listen to 790 mostly, and I'll admit they don't know shit about bball. Meanwhile, The Game is garbage.

The Game's whole lineup minus Dukes and Jarome is garbage. I can't listen to Kordell Stewart. That dude just plain sucks at radio.
  • Like 1

The Game is garbage. I listen to 790 mostly, and I'll admit they don't know shit about bball. Meanwhile, The Game is garbage.

I think it is safe to say that all Atlanta sports radio is garbage...Is it asking too much to have a bunch of Atlanta based sports broadcasters follow our team(s) on one radio station. I will take the game over the beantown/cleveland homers on 790 any day...but I digress...the Game aint a whole lot better...

• Moderators

I won't kill LD for making this statement. I thought this team was going to finish somewhere in the 5-10 range. They were on the high end of that range and were quite close to even exceeding that range. I have plenty of things to criticize with elements of what LD did this season but the bottom line result is a solid one -- especially given that we lost Lou Williams and Zaza for significant chunks of the season.

When I look at the Hawk's past season, I basically am torn between admiration and disgust. Admiration for the fact that we somehow finished with a winning record despite the injuries and losing Joe(who despite my sentiments on him as a player I recognized him as a solidifying presence on our gameplan). And utter disgust at the lack of discipline towards Josh, lack of team chemistry far too often and LD's late season comment on we don't have an identity. I like LD for his work overall because we all know coaching in Atlanta, thus far under the spirit, has been a rotten hand to be dealt. But despite his ability to be a stronger disciplinarian and motivator, he still squeezed a very impressive won/loss record out of a pretty crappy situation. For that alone he deserves an honest pat on the back if he's leaving.

I think it is safe to say that all Atlanta sports radio is garbage...Is it asking too much to have a bunch of Atlanta based sports broadcasters follow our team(s) on one radio station. I will take the game over the beantown/cleveland homers on 790 any day...but I digress...the Game aint a whole lot better...

This is what I want. Some actual Atlanta radio talent, and not some washed up former players. 790 gets off topic alot, but they actually care about the city. They don't talk about Boston, Cleveland, and NY as often as you think, but the real issue is when they talk pop culture, family, and food. Now, that's annoying as hell when I just want to hear about sports. Basically, can we get some sports talk that doesn't sound like over-the-hill frat boys or out-of-town Atlanta-haters? All the sports talk in this town falls into one of these two categories!

• Like 1

That dude has been about excuses and deflecting blame for everything, all year. He needs to be gone already.

From his perspective I can certainly see it. We see how dysfunctional they are in games, can you imagine what goes on behind the curtain? I'm certainly ready for LD to be gone but we could have and should have been worse than we were.