• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How To Fix The Atlanta Hawks (Article)

Flight

http://dimemag.com/2013/05/how-to-fix-the-atlanta-hawks-let-josh-smith-leave-sign-oj-mayo-rebuild-through-free-agency/

I spotted this over at Dime and figured it'd be nice to get other hawks fan opinions on it

I'm sure we can all agree Dwight would be a franchise changer but OJ Mayo could be an interesting pick up for us for sure

Edited by Dolfan23
Edited link so it doesn't go to page 2 of the article

Wasnt really feeling the article. The best thing to do is try to get Paul and Howard there's no argument to that like many have said. I don't see us getting Howard if all he sees is oj mayo and horford here just my 2 cents...however the article brings up the possibility if moving up in the draft for shabazz Muhammad! I thought of this sometime ago and I honestly think the hawks could move up to grab Muhammad as I have seen him going between 9-15 I think the hawks can def take a crack at it and possibly move up if they make it their plan.All up to ferry really.

Edited by JTB
  • Like 1

Wasnt really feeling the article. The best thing to do is try to get Paul and Howard there's no argument to that like many have said. I don't see us getting Howard if all he sees is oj mayo and horford here just my 2 cents...however the article brings up the possibility if moving up in the draft for shabazz Muhammad! I thought of this sometime ago and I honestly think the hawks could move up to grab Muhammad as I have seen him going between 9-15 I think the hawks can def take a crack at it and possibly move up if they make it their plan.All up to ferry really.

I like Mohammad also but we will have to move up. After CP3 and Dwight are gone, what is left is ways to balance out your lineup. And the only way to do that is to overpay. Evans and Pekovic may need max or close offers to get their teams to balk. Players like Iggy, Mayo, and Hickson will take less to land but you get less also.

Of all the players above, Mayo is my least favorite and Hickson my 2nd least favorite. Not for personal reasons, I just don't think they fit our team needs.

Edited by Buzzard

Sounds like someone else is thinking of adding some Mayo as well. Posted Image

I like the additions this guy proposed with the exception of one guy. I think Brandon Wright can be a solid player in the league. He does need to add some weight to his frame though.

We don't really need another short scoring guard if Lou is in our plans. OJ could not beat out Collison or two old ( Derek Fischer and Mike James ) run down guys for the starting PG; so anyone who did think he could be a PG should at least no better after this season.

I don't think the writer watched the Hawks much. Devin and the bench were surely better than "non-existent," "not effective," or "unable to perform." And OJ can't guard a grill so no on the small tweener guards not named Curry, thanks.

Evans > Mayo 

I do like the idea of Evans. He still needs a lead to pair with but he's a good #2 optionSent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Evans > Mayo

Based on what? Tyreke is a slasher and a driver and has zero jump shooting ability. Mayo can score in bunches and although their stats this season are pretty close, I think Mayo is the better player. Just my opinion though.

We don't really need another short scoring guard if Lou is in our plans. OJ could not beat out Collison or two old ( Derek Fischer and Mike James ) run down guys for the starting PG; so anyone who did think he could be a PG should at least no better after this season.

Mayo isn't a point guard though. He is much more suited at the 2. Now if we are replacing Teague and I like his improvements so far in his career. Assuming Lou comes back healthy, why not let him play point guard if we added Mayo at the 2?

• Moderators

Evans > Mayo

$$$ for Evans > $$$ for Mayo. Really depends if Ferry feels we need a starting SG or a backup. I think a Lou/Mayo combo off the bench could go either way... I'd love to get Evans if we snag Dwight, but miss out on CP3. Teague/Evans backcourt would be sweet.

Based on what? Tyreke is a slasher and a driver and has zero jump shooting ability. Mayo can score in bunches and although their stats this season are pretty close, I think Mayo is the better player. Just my opinion though.

Mayo isn't a point guard though. He is much more suited at the 2. Now if we are replacing Teague and I like his improvements so far in his career. Assuming Lou comes back healthy, why not let him play point guard if we added Mayo at the 2?

I like Evans more b/c he can play SG and SF. Both can give you minutes at PG, in a pinch, but neither are PGs. Evans is a much better defender then Mayo, in my opinion, due to having so much more length and size.

Mayo is definately the better shooter (40% from 3 compared to Evans 34%).

I'll take Evans defense and versitility to play SG/SF over Mayo's shooting. I just see Evans having the ability to play next to Jenkins and Korver while covering for their defensive weakness. With Mayo, Korver, and Jenkins you have 3 weak defenders. I want to see how much we can get out of Jenkins.......and I think we get more out of him playing with Evans then Mayo.

Just my personal taste. I don't think of either Mayo or Evans as a #1 scoring option.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Tyreke is the better defender, is 2" taller/10 lbs heavier, has some of the best handles in the league, and has orangutan arms. Tyreke is a starter (and can start at 1 or 2) as opposed to Mayo who is better suited for the bench. We have Lou for a sixth man and OJ would take minutes from Jenkins who I believe is about the same player as OJ minus the breakdowns and at a lower price.

I like that Mayo, Dorrel Wright and Brandan Wright mentions. We need a SG, Lou is not a starting SG, Mayo fits better with Teague, he will not take the ball out of his hands and provides 3pt shooting, Evans will demand the ball a lot and we will have a PG and SG with no much 3pt shooting, not to mention that signing Mayo would be a lot cheaper, however I don't doubt Evans is better but in terms of fit an production/price for Hawks Mayo is better option.

Dorrell Wright would also be a great addition, defense, rebounding, 3 pt shooting, steals, blocks, he could start at the 3.

Definitely not. Not close.

But Evans can be a 2nd or 3rd option depending on what Teague, Horford, future center and sf are doing. No matter how you look at it, Evans is always going to be a better option than our current #1 Josh.

I don't think the writer watched the Hawks much. Devin and the bench were surely better than "non-existent," "not effective," or "unable to perform." And OJ can't guard a grill so no on the small tweener guards not named Curry, thanks.

Agree 110%. Our bench was ok, the bulk of our free agent money needs to be spent on our starting lineup. Period

Amazing highlight. Loved it when he shook the great Tony Allen. Some of the best handles in the league.

I like that Mayo, Dorrel Wright and Brandan Wright mentions. We need a SG, Lou is not a starting SG, Mayo fits better with Teague, he will not take the ball out of his hands and provides 3pt shooting, Evans will demand the ball a lot and we will have a PG and SG with no much 3pt shooting, not to mention that signing Mayo would be a lot cheaper, however I don't doubt Evans is better but in terms of fit an production/price for Hawks Mayo is better option.

Dorrell Wright would also be a great addition, defense, rebounding, 3 pt shooting, steals, blocks, he could start at the 3.

Mayo is garbage when he doesn't have the ball in his hands a lot. He disappeared when Dirk came back. Tyreke taking the ball from Teague is a good thing IMO. Tired of spoon-feeding Teague. When he doesn't want to show up we have someone else capable of running the show.

Dorrell for close to min wouldn't be bad.

Edited by GameTime

But Evans can be a 2nd or 3rd option depending on what Teague, Horford, future center and sf are doing. No matter how you look at it, Evans is always going to be a better option than our current #1 Josh.

Teague Horford need to be 3rd and 4th options. They have no go to moves and don't get to the line. Evans is definitely not a #1 option on a contender though.