Reggie Williams?

Luke "I am your father" Walton?

Paul Pierce?

Shawn Marion?

Charlie V.?

Rashard Lewis?

Mike Dunleavy Jr.?

Sam Young?

Here's what I say, whoever comes, will have to be willing to play for the Vet min. or the MLE. Unless D12 demands it, I don't want to see a return of Smith.

The truth is that I hate Paul Pierce very much but he may be the right choice. However, I would take Trevor Ariza if he would come. Another guy I would consider very strongly is Dorrel Wright. I just like the idea of having somebody who can shoot and play perimeter defense. Otherwise, I think Marion or Charlie v. would be good choices.

• Admin

Players I want no part of

Dahntay Jones? - nothing left

Keith Bogans? - done like dinner

Reggie Williams? - end of the bench player

Luke "I am your father" Walton? - broken down/old

Paul Pierce? - i hate him

Charlie V.? - Horrible ... absolutely horrible

Rashard Lewis? - done

Mike Dunleavy Jr.? - broken down

Sam Young? - sucks

• Like 2

If we get the 2 superstars, we'll only have the vet min. and from my understanding the mini-MLE (might be wrong on that), which means it would only be about $3.5 million? In that range, you'd be looking for guys like Matt Barnes (vet. min.), Martell Webster (might get more than even the MMLE due to his good shooting last season), Francisco Garcia (if Houston doesn't p/u his options to save $) possibly for the MMLE, and a few others. I'd be down with any off that list, but Barnes and Garcia would be higher since they are pretty good D guys. I'd be fine with Pietrus as a backup though.

Edited by Dragitoff

If we get the 2 superstars, we'll only have the vet min. and from my understanding the mini-MLE (might be wrong on that), which means it would only be about $3.5 million? In that range, you'd be looking for guys like Matt Barnes (vet. min.), Martell Webster (might get more than even the MMLE due to his good shooting last season), Francisco Garcia (if Houston doesn't p/u his options to save $) possibly for the MMLE, and a few others. I'd be down with any off that list, but Barnes and Garcia would be higher since they are pretty good D guys. I'd be fine with Pietrus as a backup though.

Not true. You have the full MLE till you get to the luxury tax which could be around 70.1 million. Then you get the MMLE if you are over the luxury tax mark. When you are under the cap floor, you do not have a MLE to offer. So if we stay under the cap floor, we cannot use the MLE.

Gotcha that's what I thought but someone corrected me the other day. I don't know for sure.

NON-TAXPAYER MID-LEVEL EXCEPTION -- This exception is available only when a team is below the "apron" (i.e., not paying luxury tax, or less than $4 million above the tax line). This determination is madeafter the exception is used, so a team below the apron cannot use this exception if doing so takes it above the apron. It cannot be used by a team that has already used the Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception or the Room Mid-Level exception. It allows a team to sign any free agent to a contract with a starting salary up to the following amounts3:

Season First-year salary 2011-12 $5.000 million 2012-13 $5.000 million 2013-14 $5.150 million 2014-15 $5.305 million 2015-16 $5.464 million 2016-17 $5.628 million 2017-18 $5.797 million 2018-19 $5.971 million 2019-20 $6.150 million 2020-21 $6.335 million

This exception may be split and given to multiple players. It may be used for contracts up to four years in length, with raises up to 4.5% of the salary in the first year of the contract. Signing a player to a multi-year contract does not affect a team's ability to use this exception every year -- for example, a team can use this exception to sign a player to a four-year contract, and use it again the following year to sign another player. Also see question number 26 for more information on the availability and use of this exception.

If the player is a restricted free agent with one or two years of service and receives an offer sheet from a new team, the player's prior team may use the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception to match the offer sheet (see question numbers 43 and 44).

Again, this exception is only available to teams that are below the "apron," i.e., below the point $4 million above the tax line. Teams above the apron instead must use the smaller Taxpayer Mid-Level exception (see below). Further, any team that uses its Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception cannot go above the apron for the remainder of that season. In other words, once a team uses its Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception, the apron effectively becomes a hard cap for the remainder of that season4. This eliminates any potential loophole where a team could first use its full Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception and subsequently add salary to go above the apron, since adding salary first and then using the exception would be illegal.

However, if a team uses its Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception but does not exceed the constraints of the Taxpayer Mid-Level exception (e.g., in 2011-12 they use the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception to sign a player for $3 million or less), then the team is allowed to later exceed the apron (i.e., it is not hard-capped). If the team later exceeds the apron, then it is considered to have used the Taxpayer Mid-Level exception rather than the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception. But the converse is not true -- if a team is above the apron and spends any of its Taxpayer Mid-Level exception, it cannot drop below the apron and spend the remaining money as part of its Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception. Finally, a team that was above the apron but did not spend any of its Taxpayer Mid-Level exception has full access to the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception if it later drops below the apron.

A different team salary definition is used for determining whether a team is above or below the apron. See question number 14 for details. In addition, this exception begins to pro-rate downward daily starting on January 10 each season (see question numbers 26 and 28), and expires on the last day of the team's regular season.

TAXPAYER MID-LEVEL EXCEPTION -- This exception is available only when a team is above the "apron" (i.e., with a team salary $4 million or more above the tax line). This determination is made after the exception is used, so a team below the apron must use this exception rather than the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception if doing so takes them above the apron. This exception cannot be used if the team has already used the Bi-Annual, Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level or the Room Mid-Level exception. Starting in 2013-14, it cannot be used if the team has received a player that season in a sign-and-trade transaction (see question number 89).

This exception allows a team to sign any free agent to a contract with a starting salary up to the following amounts3:

Season First-year salary 2011-12 $3.000 million 2012-13 $3.090 million 2013-14 $3.183 million 2014-15 $3.278 million 2015-16 $3.376 million 2016-17 $3.477 million 2017-18 $3.581 million 2018-19 $3.688 million 2019-20 $3.799 million 2020-21 $3.913 million

This exception may be split and given to multiple players. It may be used for contracts up to three years in length, with raises up to 4.5% of the salary in the first year of the contract. Signing a player to a multi-year contract does not affect a team's ability to use this exception every year -- for example, a team can use this exception to sign a player to a three-year contract, and use it again the following year to sign another player. Also see question number 26 for more information on the availability and use of this exception.

If the player is a restricted free agent with one or two years of service and receives an offer sheet from a new team, the player's prior team may use the Taxpayer Mid-Level exception to match the offer sheet, but only if the offer is within the constraints of the Taxpayer Mid-Level exception (see question numbers 43 and 44).

If a team uses its Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception but does not exceed the constraints of the Taxpayer Mid-Level exception (e.g., in 2011-12 they use the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception to sign a player for $3 million or less) and the team later exceeds the apron, then the team is considered to have used the Taxpayer Mid-Level exception rather than the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception. But the converse is not true -- if a team is above the apron and spends any of its Taxpayer Mid-Level exception, it cannot drop below the apron and spend the remaining money as part of its Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception. Finally, a team that was above the apron but did not spend any of its Taxpayer Mid-Level exception has full access to the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception if it later drops below the apron.

A different team salary definition is used for determining whether a team is above or below the apron. See question number 14 for details. In addition, this exception begins to pro-rate downward daily starting on January 10 each season (see question numbers 26 and 28), and expires on the last day of the team's regular season.

ROOM MID-LEVEL EXCEPTION -- This exception is available only to teams that drop far enough below the cap to use cap room, and lose their Bi-Annual, Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level and Taxpayer Mid-Level exceptions (see question number 26). This exception cannot be used if the team has already used the Bi-Annual, Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level or Taxpayer Mid-Level exceptions. This exception becomes available once the team salary drops far enough that the team loses its other exceptions, and expires following the last day of the regular season.

This exception allows a team to sign any free agent, starting at up to the following amounts:

Season First-year salary 2011-12 $2.500 million 2012-13 $2.575 million 2013-14 $2.652 million 2014-15 $2.732 million 2015-16 $2.814 million 2016-17 $2.898 million 2017-18 $2.985 million 2018-19 $3.075 million 2019-20 $3.167 million 2020-21 $3.262 million

This exception may be split and given to multiple players. It may be used for contracts up to two years in length, with raises up to 4.5% of the salary in the first year of the contract. Signing a player to a multi-year contract does not affect a team's ability to use this exception every year -- for example, a team can use this exception to sign a player to a two-year contract, and use it again the following year to sign another player. Also see question number 26 for more information on the availability and use of this exception.

Once a team has used this exception, it can no longer use the Bi-Annual, Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level or Taxpayer Mid-Level exception.

BI-ANNUAL EXCEPTION -- This exception is available only to teams that are below the "apron" (i.e., not paying luxury tax, or less than $4 million above the tax line). This determination is made after the exception is used, so a team below the apron cannot use this exception if doing so takes them above the apron. It cannot be used if the team has already used the Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception or the Room Mid-Level exception. It allows a team to sign any free agent, starting at up to the following amounts:

Season First-year salary 2011-12 $1.900 million 2012-13 $1.957 million 2013-14 $2.016 million 2014-15 $2.077 million 2015-16 $2.139 million 2016-17 $2.203 million 2017-18 $2.269 million 2018-19 $2.337 million 2019-20 $2.407 million 2020-21 $2.479 million

This exception may not be used two years in a row (and if this exception was used under the previous CBA in 2010-11, it may not be used in 2011-12). It may be split and given to more than one player, and can be used to sign players for up to two years, with raises limited to 4.5%. Also see question number 26 for more information on the availability and use of this exception.

A team that uses its Bi-Annual exception cannot go above the apron for the remainder of that season. In other words, once a team uses its Bi-Annual exception, the apron effectively becomes a hard cap for the remainder of that season4. This eliminates any potential loophole where a team could first use its Bi-Annual exception and subsequently add salary to go above the apron, when doing so in the opposite order (adding salary first, and then using the exception) would be illegal.

A different team salary definition is used for determining whether a team is above or below the apron. See question number 14 for details. In addition, this exception begins to pro-rate downward daily starting on January 10 each season (see question numbers 26 and 28), and expires following the last day of the regular season.

• Moderators

Possibly Matt Barnes if he follows CP3 here. Maybe use the MLE (only $3 mil/yr) on a guy like PP, if interested. With Doc possibly not returning to Boston, it could mean that Boston is about to clean house. Then who ever we draft will be our SF, so either Karasev, Shabazz, or Player X. At worst, we start Mike Scott at SF.

There is smoke that Barnes would want to keep playing with Paul. Thats possible, at least as a backup. I'd love to just bring Korver back in this dream scenario, but don't know that we could afford him assuming wed have to renounce his rights to sign the Big Two. But could we end up with something like:Paul - (2nd Rd Pick) - (Vet Minimum PG)Jamaal Franklin (or #18 Pick) - Lou Williams - JenkinsKorver - Barnes - (2nd Round Pick)Horford - (Free Agent) - Mike ScottHoward - (#17 Pick) - (Vet Minimum Big)

Seems that nobody is talking about Dorrell Wright, I think he would be one of the best options at SF, I haven't seen Corey Brewer neither. Best option for Hawks would be Brewer, Dorrell Wright and Matt Barnes, and then draft. I would like to have Ariza also but I doubt he opts out and becomes UFA.

• Like 1

Seems that nobody is talking about Dorrell Wright, I think he would be one of the best options at SF, I haven't seen Corey Brewer neither. Best option for Hawks would be Brewer, Dorrell Wright and Matt Barnes, and then draft. I would like to have Ariza also but I doubt he opts out and becomes UFA.

Martell Webster as well who is my choice. Chase Budinger as well.

Not true. You have the full MLE till you get to the luxury tax which could be around 70.1 million. Then you get the MMLE if you are over the luxury tax mark. When you are under the cap floor, you do not have a MLE to offer. So if we stay under the cap floor, we cannot use the MLE.

We aren't going to build a team that in year 1 of new big money contracts with 4.5A% raises will be anywhere near the luxury tax as that will severely restrict Ferry's ability to mold the roster after this year. No way we'll be within 5 million of the luxury tax, if that, this season.

Martell Webster as well who is my choice. Chase Budinger as well.

Budinger has played 81 games combined the past 2 years and never more than 78 so I'd be hesitant to sign him. Webster has played 46, 47 and 76 the past 3 seasons so I'd hesitate with him as well. They are probably the 2 most talented younger guys that we can sign but the only way I'm going after either would be with a low salary, maybe half the MLE, and then I'm drafting a SF with the 17th or 18th picks. If they won't play for those contracts then I get Matt Barnes or AK-47 and still draft someone.