• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Before you "hate" on this years picks, look back on some anonymous member instant reactions from last year after the draft

Admin

We just disagree. I want to win now. Our GM has cleared capspace and had draft picks to use. IMO we dont need players in a development mode for a team that is interested in contending.

I guess I set the standard too high.

Yeah I guess that's it.

Or maybe it's that Ferry got 2 of the highest upside players in the draft, at the 2 most important positions, while also maintaining MAXIMUM free agent money possible, and that was the right thing to do. But hey we can agree to disagree here.

• Like 2

I blame that on coaching. Teague may take some responsibility in this, but if the coach was stressing to him not to do this, he'd probably wouldn't do it.

Dolfan is right I'm talking about his defensive intensity and his PG instincts. He is strong where Teauge is weak. Let's face it PG is a leadership position much like QB in the NFL. Jeff Teauge imo is not a leader. I hope better coaching will help him, but he doesn't seem that interested in leading. He seems ok with just being one of the guys. I have to hope that Schröder will have more of a leading personality.

I don't necessarily think this means we get rid of Teauge; I think these guys can compliment each other prettty well. It's also good insurance in case someone tries to overpay Teague.

• Like 1

I will tell you what bothers me about comparing us to the San Antionio Spurs model.................and Ive said it many times. There is NO San Antionio Spurs model without the unbelievable luck of David Robinson and Tim Duncan...........millions of odds landing not one but two hall of fame players. We would not even be discussing the Spurs without that happening.

Now, Ferry should have used cap space and those two picks to acquire a wiley veteran to help compete this year. Two teams, the Nets and Clippers have went out and made the leap to contend for a championship, whether their successful of not, at least they made the leap. This franchise cannot even attract a free agent with all the cap space we have.

Unless a big splash is made in free agency, we are stuck right back in the mediocrity of the past 25 years. Ferry will prove his metal in the free agency period starting on 1 July.

Poor Al Horford.

Keep saying it right man.

Horford wanted us to draft Steven Adams so clearly he had no problem with us taking a project C. And I'm sure he hates it that we took someone from Latin America too.

Hawks have 3 players under contract for next season.

NBA says we can have15, I believe.

We have three new guys from the draft. There is speculation

that they may be "stashed" over seas next season. Why?

Hawks have 12 empty spots on their roster, maybe only 11 with

that guard we picked up in all the movement last night.

We know and expect our Hawks to be active in the free agency

part of the off season. Yet some believe that we will only be

able to sign those free agents that are left over parts when all

the other teams are finished. They only come here when they

have the choce of coming here or not being in the NBA.

I can't believe it will be that bad. Our money is as good as any

other team's $$$ and Atlanta is not the worst city in the NBA

to live, or so it seems.

Things are changing in the Atlanta portion of the NBA. We have

a different GM and a new, untested head coach. We sure don't

know what to expect. We know how it was in the past with the old

Coach and GM. It will be different, for sure. Better? We will have

to wait and see.

Some posters here are pleased and excited with our draft picks.

Others are completely disgusted and are sure nothing was done

as it should have been.

Some of our own free agents will be coming back, we hope. Otherwise

we will see 12 new guys next season.

GO ATLANTA - BRAVES - 1ST PLACE - DREAM - 1ST PLACE - HAWKS - WORK IN PROGRESS

• Like 1

I just flat out dont like what happened at the draft myself. I watched the entire draft and this is nothing more than a money saving reach for the ASG. Highly dissapointed in Ferry. Ive been around the game for many years and I cant believe those of you who are "talent experts" drinking the cool-aid of last night. The two picks we ended up with are high risk reaches at best. Every year a draft produces these long reach 7 footers that are the next big center in the NBA, and after the draft we never hear from them again. I will say that Ferry better be damn active in Free agency and pull off a trade for that "star veteran player" he has talked about in the past. If there are no major changes over the summer, I am toast after 35 years.

money saving reach? Whoever we picked at these spots gets the same amount of money. If we keep them overseas it means we have more FA money available. If we bring them over they get what any draft pick would get.

• Premium Member

I am totally fine with our picks. Second round guys aren't guaranteed contracts and the two first round guys are young international players we can stash overseas and bring over if we strike out on the big names. Ferry did exactly what he should have: expand the talent pool with little risk and with no impact to our salary cap. Win/win baby.

• Like 2

I will tell you what bothers me about comparing us to the San Antionio Spurs model.................and Ive said it many times. There is NO San Antionio Spurs model without the unbelievable luck of David Robinson and Tim Duncan...........millions of odds landing not one but two hall of fame players. We would not even be discussing the Spurs without that happening.

Now, Ferry should have used cap space and those two picks to acquire a wiley veteran to help compete this year. Two teams, the Nets and Clippers have went out and made the leap to contend for a championship, whether their successful of not, at least they made the leap. This franchise cannot even attract a free agent with all the cap space we have.

Unless a big splash is made in free agency, we are stuck right back in the mediocrity of the past 25 years. Ferry will prove his metal in the free agency period starting on 1 July.

Poor Al Horford.

Keep saying it right man.

Please name the wiley veteran who is/was available that you would have liked us to trade or cap space and picks for! ( I can't think who that would be offhand) Edited by JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

money saving reach? Whoever we picked at these spots gets the same amount of money. If we keep them overseas it means we have more FA money available. If we bring them over they get what any draft pick would get.

Jaybird,

My thought is being a contender. the 17th and 18th picks in the draft have nothing to do with immediate contention. The picks could have been traded for a impact veteran player. My idea is win now and be in contention, not first round fodder we have been for the last 10 years.

I have no problem with those who liked the draft. I just dont agree with that direction.

Jaybird, My thought is being a contender. the 17th and 18th picks in the draft have nothing to do with immediate contention. The picks could have been traded for a impact veteran player. My idea is win now and be in contention, not first round fodder we have been for the last 10 years. I have no problem with those who liked the draft. I just dont agree with that direction.

which AVAILABLE veteran player do you want for those picks?How much $$$ would said player remove from our FA pool of cap space money limiting what we might be able to do in FAcy? Edited by JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

Please name the wiley veteran who is/was available that you would have liked us to trade or cap space and picks for! ( I can't think who that would be offhand)

Not my job, that is the GM's job. As a business owner I look for results, and if I dont get them I make changes. You are either at the top of the heap with tireless hours of work that result in success or your swimming against the current and going nowhere.

Edited by Vol4ever

Not my job, that is the GM's job. As a business owner I look for results, and if I dont get them I make changes. You are either at the top of the heap with tireless hours of work that result in success or your swimming against the currentand going nowhere.

its not any of our jobs but we all have opinions - what's yours. Why throw out to trade the picks if you are not offering your opinion on who that might be - who knows I might agree with you!

• Premium Member

which AVAILABLE veteran player do you want for those picks?How much $$$ would said player remove from our FA pool of cap space money limiting what we might be able to do in FAcy?

Did Ferry not say he wanted to trade for a "veteran star" that was need for this team?

• Premium Member

Some of us are giving DF a high level trust from the jump. I don't understand why. Given what he's done (or not done) he should be starting from level of distrust.Please don't tell me how he traded the untradable Joe Johnson. The whole world knows Deron Williams made that deal happen.gotta show me something before I drink the kool aid.

Edited by NineOhTheRino
  • Like 1

Did Ferry not say he wanted to trade for a "veteran star" that was need for this team?

He said that was an option. It is STILL an option. Why are you acting like the offseason is over when it's barely begun?

Some of us are giving DF a high level trust from the jump. I don't understand why. Given what he's done (or not done) he should be starting from level of distrust.

gotta show me something before I drink the kool aid.

That's a sad and depressing philosophy to live by.

• Like 2

Ferry wants to do a lot of things, but they aren't done in a vacuum - he has to have a willing partner on the other end. What if Ferry did make those calls but the other team declined?

• Premium Member

its not any of our jobs but we all have opinions - what's yours. Why throw out to trade the picks if you are not offering your opinion on who that might be - who knows I might agree with you!

First of all, and Im sure Ferry has done this, I would have my list of free agent targets. I would evaluate who we have a chance to sign - my opinion is we are not getting Paul or Howard - but maybe Ferry knows we are. If the FA players we want will not come then I would go after a vet via trade and use the draft picks. Peckovic of Minnesota is one of those vet players I would be after because they are not going to keep him and Love together and Love will be harder to move.

Not my job, that is the GM's job. As a business owner I look for results, and if I dont get them I make changes. You are either at the top of the heap with tireless hours of work that result in success or your swimming against the current and going nowhere.

Free Agency hasn't even started yet. You are just looking for results too early on.

• Like 2

First of all, and Im sure Ferry has done this, I would have my list of free agent targets. I would evaluate who we have a chance to sign - my opinion is we are not getting Paul or Howard - but maybe Ferry knows we are. If the FA players we want will not come then I would go after a vet via trade and use the draft picks. Peckovic of Minnesota is one of those vet players I would be after because they are not going to keep him and Love together and Love will be harder to move.

You are acting as if we can't trade the guys we drafted last night or that we can't trade future picks or that we can't simply trade for players by using our available cap space, thereby letting the other team get a valuable TPE.