• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Before you "hate" on this years picks, look back on some anonymous member instant reactions from last year after the draft

Admin

• Admin

To think that a 7 foot athletic beanpole (no matter what his upside) can come right in and replace Zaza in the rough and tumble NBA is folly. Better re-up Zaza.

I've calmed down some from last night so will switch my grade to: "incomplete". Cunningham might turn out to be a good addition.

I do agree that we should resign Zaza

I do agree that we should resign Zaza

Not unless we sign Dwight OR Zaza signs for close to the vet min. Anything more and he's really not worth it. I love Zaza and all but we can't afford to overspend on marginal talents like him.

• Like 1

It's like what the bigtime sports pundits do. They make their "epic predictions"...then the games are played and they are proven dead wrong...but that doesn't bother them...they just move on to their next "epic prediction" Posted Image

Considering some of the statements you've made right after the draft towards our drafted players the past 2 years I kinda feel like this is a bit ironic DJ. You were probably the harshest critic of the Jenkins pick last year and you've been harsh on this years picks as well.

The "anti-Teague" huh?

I'll admit that I had SERIOUS doubts about Teague's heart when he first came into the league. But his talent and potential was always there.

There is no way in hell that "Dennis the Menace" is a better prospect than what Jeff Teague was in 2009, in a very PG heavy draft. Dennis is a better passer and defender ( vs the talent he played against ). Teague is far superior offensively and much more athletic. Overall, Teague is hands down the better player.

That slow wind-up jumper that Dennis has, may result in him not even being able to get his shot off in the NBA. And if the only way he scores is by slashing to the basket, or by shooting spot-up 3s, his potential is going to be limited as hell. Right now, Dennis' potential is a defensive backup PG at best, ala Tony Wroten in Memphis.

Yeah, Teague sold us out in the playoffs . . . as did everyone else outside of Al Horford . . . but don't forget how far this guy has come.

He was calling him the anti-Teague because he actually fights through screens, rather than sagging off and going under like Teague STILL does after all this time.

Not unless we sign Dwight OR Zaza signs for close to the vet min. Anything more and he's really not worth it. I love Zaza and all but we can't afford to overspend on marginal talents like him.

How often do centers who can give you quality minutes sign near the vet minimum (who also aren't 38 years old)?

Edited by DeacKillsaDevil

How often do centers who can give you quality minutes sign near the vet minimum (who also aren't 38 years old)?

I'd rather sign someone who can give us quality minutes on both ends of the floor vs signing Zaza for the same amount, who's only going to give us offensive rebounding and a big body.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I just flat out dont like what happened at the draft myself. I watched the entire draft and this is nothing more than a money saving reach for the ASG. Highly dissapointed in Ferry. Ive been around the game for many years and I cant believe those of you who are "talent experts" drinking the cool-aid of last night. The two picks we ended up with are high risk reaches at best. Every year a draft produces these long reach 7 footers that are the next big center in the NBA, and after the draft we never hear from them again.

I will say that Ferry better be damn active in Free agency and pull off a trade for that "star veteran player" he has talked about in the past.

If there are no major changes over the summer, I am toast after 35 years.

• Like 1

• Moderators

As I've said I know nothing about these guys or scouting in general. Watching Bebe's tape it just looks like a guy getting a lot of dunks because he's taller than everyone else on the floor. I guess that's where development comes in. Its hard for me to imagine him in the nba this year but i hope i'm wrong.

I am satisfied with this years draft

By drafting Bebe, DF was able to get 1 of my personal top 3 center prospects. Also drafting to for need gets a plus from me.

I posted a link in one of the other threads on bebe speculating that he will be staying overseas with his club who just offered an extension.

By drafting Schröder DF took one of the surprise players I was hoping we would land. So no complaints there. Schröder will be brought over immediately I believe.

And surprisingly DF took another one of my dark horse favorites in Muscala. I don't know if people don't think his game will transition to the NBA or if there is some knock I don't recognize but he had a pretty solid college career.

The only thing I would say is, I wish we didn't have to give up that 18 pick. I think if we could have come away with Karasev there too or used it trade down it would have been a great move.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

So, you are saying that the San Antonio Spurs approach to the draft is nothing more than a money saving reach?

Because that is what the Hawks took last night. They took the San Antonio Spurs approach to the draft.

It's funny. I think the reaction would be completely different if the two players in question were young players who were Americans and not international players.

All Dennis Schröder did was dominate the Team USA guards in the Nike Hoop Summit this year. The same thing goes for Lucas Nogueira in the U18 FIBA Americas in 2010. He dominated the USA big men and was clearly the best big man at that championship.

ESPN had the two players Atlanta drafted rated as the 14th and 15th best players in the entire draft. Atlanta got them at 16 and 17.

I will tell you what bothers me about comparing us to the San Antionio Spurs model.................and Ive said it many times. There is NO San Antionio Spurs model without the unbelievable luck of David Robinson and Tim Duncan...........millions of odds landing not one but two hall of fame players. We would not even be discussing the Spurs without that happening.

Now, Ferry should have used cap space and those two picks to acquire a wiley veteran to help compete this year. Two teams, the Nets and Clippers have went out and made the leap to contend for a championship, whether their successful of not, at least they made the leap. This franchise cannot even attract a free agent with all the cap space we have.

Unless a big splash is made in free agency, we are stuck right back in the mediocrity of the past 25 years. Ferry will prove his metal in the free agency period starting on 1 July.

Poor Al Horford.

• Like 1

He was calling him the anti-Teague because he actually fights through screens, rather than sagging off and going under like Teague STILL does after all this time.

I blame that on coaching. Teague may take some responsibility in this, but if the coach was stressing to him not to do this, he'd probably wouldn't do it.

I just flat out dont like what happened at the draft myself. I watched the entire draft and this is nothing more than a money saving reach for the ASG. Highly dissapointed in Ferry. Ive been around the game for many years and I cant believe those of you who are "talent experts" drinking the cool-aid of last night. The two picks we ended up with are high risk reaches at best. Every year a draft produces these long reach 7 footers that are the next big center in the NBA, and after the draft we never hear from them again.

I will say that Ferry better be damn active in Free agency and pull off a trade for that "star veteran player" he has talked about in the past.

I'm shocked that you aren't happy with something Hawks related...

• Like 1

I blame that on coaching. Teague may take some responsibility in this, but if the coach was stressing to him not to do this, he'd probably wouldn't do it.

You may be right, but there is something to be said for a guy who does that because it's in his nature. You can see the difference in their demeanor just from listening to them talk. Schröder is very aggressive in everything he does while Teague is a lot more laid back in nature. Just look at that silly missed layup in the All-Star skills contest. No biggie but it goes to show you that he doesn't take certain things very seriously.

• Premium Member

I'm shocked that you aren't happy with something Hawks related...

We just disagree. I want to win now. Our GM has cleared capspace and had draft picks to use. IMO we dont need players in a development mode for a team that is interested in contending.

I guess I set the standard too high.

• Like 2

I won't be "toast", but I agree with every word you said.

I think people are so enamored with the "Spurs Way", that anything Ferry does for the first 2 or so years is going to get high praise. It won't be until something he does actually turns out bad . . and that it's obvious that it was bad . . that they'll start to doubt what he does.

Before the draft, people were saying how weak it was. But now that we've drafted 2 international players ( like the Spurs would do ), people are liking the picks all of a sudden. It is what it is though. People want to be positive about what is going on around here. Eventually, I'll try to be more positive.

But I think in free agency, you're going to see a plethora of mediocre players signed to 1 year deals, overpaying them just to reach the minimum team payroll.

Like any ownership or business, the ASG has the right to make money. And if putting out the cheapest product possible will make them money this year, I guess you can't blame them too much.

• Like 2

Never had a guy like Bud to develop draft picks like how he helped develop players like Parker. Kinda of iffy on how well they can develop Bebe. The Spurs have had trouble developing bigmen that could fit next to Duncan throughout the years.

Although they never had a prospect with the ceiling high as Lucas.

• Like 1

I will tell you what bothers me about comparing us to the San Antionio Spurs model.................and Ive said it many times. There is NO San Antionio Spurs model without the unbelievable luck of David Robinson and Tim Duncan...........millions of odds landing not one but two hall of fame players. We would not even be discussing the Spurs without that happening.

Now, Ferry should have used cap space and those two picks to acquire a wiley veteran to help compete this year. Two teams, the Nets and Clippers have went out and made the leap to contend for a championship, whether their successful of not, at least they made the leap. This franchise cannot even attract a free agent with all the cap space we have.

Unless a big splash is made in free agency, we are stuck right back in the mediocrity of the past 25 years. Ferry will prove his metal in the free agency period starting on 1 July.

Poor Al Horford.

Keep saying it right man.

We just disagree. I want to win now. Our GM has cleared capspace and had draft picks to use. IMO we dont need players in a development mode for a team that is interested in contending. I guess I set the standard too high.

Well, it sounds like you expected us to draft Lebron James with one of our firsts and package the rest of our picks for Zach Randolph. The players we drafted have track records of success. Maybe they won't steer us to 60 wins next season, but the only way we would truly be in contention is by signing Paul and Howard. Otherwise, it's more of a win later approach, and these guys look like pretty solid picks. Edited by supermariowest
  • Like 3