• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I'm starting to get what Ferry is doing now

GameTime

Hey he's done a great job in brooklyn you have to give him some credit I know he's got a blank check from the evil russian but still he's done a solid job you can't deny that. It's like saying Woody didn't do great for the Knicks last year

Billy Knight......

Posted Image

Billy King.....

Posted Image

haha my bad no idea how my brain got that mixed up and was THAT confident about it

Edited by taz

Bad teams, the ones that tank, are so bad that draft picks do not help them.

That is what the entirety of the lottery era shows us -- in fact, that's why we have the lottery era (because tanking USED to work.)

Since you love warbling 'treadmill' over and over, here's some reading material for you:

http://wagesofwins.com/2012/03/26/why-teams-should-try-and-get-on-the-treadmill-of-mediocrity/

• Like 1

As far as last shot goes at least we know this year it wont be Smoove shooting a hail mary three pointer with 10 secs still on the shot clock and the game on the line. Thank God for that!Here here for smart basketball!!!

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Bad teams, the ones that tank, are so bad that draft picks do not help them.

That is what the entirety of the lottery era shows us -- in fact, that's why we have the lottery era (because tanking USED to work.)

Since you love warbling 'treadmill' over and over, here's some reading material for you:

http://wagesofwins.com/2012/03/26/why-teams-should-try-and-get-on-the-treadmill-of-mediocrity/

Dr. Z...

Looking at just the bad side of rebuilding is exactly like looking at just the good side of trades/free agency. The truth about trades is that you need something somebody wants (trades) or you need to get lucky (Blaylock/Rumeal or Bibby/White Chocolate). We're not stockpiling stuff that's in high demand and I seriously doubt we're doing anything but shooting for the playoffs.

The truth about free agency is that it is indeed a gamble. On one hand, you could walk away with nothing. On the other, you could walk away with an albatross. You guys act like there is all this certainty about the established player market. There isn't. There is just the perception that these players are more established and therefore LESS of a risk.

So by the same token, yes...you can strike out in the lottery. No, you are not guaranteed a top 3 pick and it's not guaranteed to be Kevin Durant. All of that is true. But there is one fact that you cannot get around...no matter how much hard data you look at. The guys that win it are found NOWHERE but at the top of the draft (that particular line right there is about 16 years old...). You're not winning without that kind of talent. Period.

A valid concern is whether or not you can draft it. Another valid concern is whether or not you can keep it. BUT...if you're not playing the game, you can't win it. If you don't stick your hand in the jar, you're not coming out with anything. More often than not, the teams that really matter secure SOMETHING by either sticking their hand in that jar and netting something to build around OR by trading something that they pulled out of the jar.

THEN...they go after the kind of guys that you all are going apeshit over. The Hawks, have forever been trying to do this in reverse...except for when BK took over and decided he would just y'know...make every rebuilding decision after he inhaled four pounds of crack.

Edited by Wretch
  • Like 2

My take:

One of the major issues we seem to have is the fact that A-level superstars (and most B-level) players HAVE NOT WANTED TO PLAY HERE RECENTLY. I touched on this theory in the Linsanity thread but I believe that Ferry's plan is to not only compete but to make the Hawks a respectable organization from top to bottom and the main way to do that is to establish solid business practices with players around the league. If Millsap and other solid players enjoy things here then we will finally earn some credibility among superstars. Although I do not fully understand what Millsap bring to the table we still have some money left and i'm fully convinced Smoove (and possibly Teague) will be moved for assets via sign-and-trade.

• Like 3

So these tanking superstar players. Hmmm lets look

Carmelo-No rings

Durant-No Rings

Rose- No rings

Lebron- 2, took leaving the team that drafted him and 2 superstars to get them

Kobe-Shaq for the first part, then rebuilding a whole team around him

Wade-Shaq, see Lebron

So we should tank this year, get a superstar next year and wait 6+ years for a championship? All the while running the risk of having our star leave? All these lottery guys dont have many rings, and the ones that do took forever and a whole lot of players around them to do so.

• Like 2

This is an ugly roster right now that's for sure

PG - Lou Williams (not really a PG)

SG - John Jenkins / Jared Cunningham

SF - Kyle Korver / Demarre Carroll

PF - Al Horford / Paul Millsap / Mike Scott

C - Mike Muscala

I really assumed it would be

PG - (FA?) / Lou

SG - Jenkins / Lou

SF - Korver / Junkyard

PF - Millsap / Scott

C - Horford / Muscala

With money still to spend of course.

• Like 1

I really assumed it would be

PG - (FA?) / Lou

SG - Jenkins / Lou

SF - Korver / Junkyard

PF - Millsap / Scott

C - Horford / Muscala

With money still to spend of course.

It could be, just throwing something out there right now, in the hopes that they aren't forcing Horford to play C again.

In all reality, you dont win in the NBA by drafting. You win it in Free Agency. Right now no one wants to come here because we are seen as a joke. Like someone said, Ferry is trying to build a respectable franchise. 2-3 years from now who is to say Kyrie Irving or John Wall wont come down? Or Klay Thompson/Curry/Barnes?

Our best bet isnt tanking. Our best bet is to build something respectable and attract players in the future.

Oh and trades. Millsap and Korver will be mighty nice bait if nothing else.

Edited by Afro
  • Like 2