• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

More stuff on Schröder and Bebe (from ESPN's Daily Dime)

3. Dennis Schröder A Refreshing Summer Find
By Danny Nowell | TrueHoop Network

Posted Image
Schröder

LAS VEGAS -- There is a certain player type that tends to make waves at summer league. Let's put it plainly: gunners.

Whether fringe veterans relishing the opportunity to let fly at will or young lottery picks showcasing their ability to light it up, players who have the ball in their hands the most tend to garner the most highlights in Vegas. All of which makes Atlanta's Dennis Schröder something of a surprise.

Most viewers wouldn't begrudge a 19-year-old first-round point guard his green light; the willingness to miss shots a player might be counted on to hit during the season can be a developmental positive. But if Schröder has the go-ahead, he's choosing instead to showcase his prudence and ability to control a game on relatively few shots.

On Wednesday, the German guard was the best player on the floor during the Hawks' overtime loss to the Blazers, but he shot 4-for-11 from the field. It's the way he pins defenders to his hips, the way he pulls fellow rookie Lucas Nogueira by the waistband during timeouts and his insistence on setting up his teammates that set Schröder apart. Where others see a need to prove they belong as scorers, Schröder is building his reputation by filling in the gaps.

Don't let the steals-and-assists-heavy stat lines fool you, though. While Schröder might not seek to punish the rim out of every pick-and-roll, he possesses jets and a handle that will make him a tough cover for years. On the final play of regulation Wednesday, Schröder juked C.J. McCollum so viciously that the audience stood and gasped as Schröder threaded a pass to a wide-open John Jenkins. Jenkins missed the shot, but the point was made: He might not look like what you would expect, but Dennis Schröder does not blend into a crowd.

4. First Look: Lucas Nogueira
By Kevin Pelton | ESPN.com

Posted Image
Nogueira

The second thing you notice about Lucas Nogueira, after his hair, is his long arms. Nogueira's 7-foot-6 wingspan is the centerpiece for nearly everything positive he does. Because he's so long, Nogueira can simply reach over opposing players to secure offensive rebounds and putbacks. Defensively, his arms give him immense shot-blocking potential, though he still must determine when to challenge shots and when to hang back and box out. His aggressiveness is a big reason Nogueira struggles on the defensive glass. He's also gotten pushed around at times in Vegas and will have to add strength to compete against NBA opponents, which is to be expected from a player who doesn't turn 21 until next week.

9. Tweet Of The Night

Kevin Pelton @kpelton

Maybe there is someone in Las Vegas who has not yet fallen in love with Dennis Schröder's game. I have yet to meet them.

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-130717/daily-dime

Everyone is digging on this kid. The Rondo comparison is natural, but I'm not sure if Shred aint more coachable, intelligent, and more of a leader than Rondo at this age. It's crazy to think this kid has about 11 years to fully peak. There is very little we can tell from SL competition as it pertains to predicting his productivity against the big boys and all (we know he's gonna shoot dreadfully), but the one thing you can't mistake that translates in every language or age is his poise. He got it bubbling over.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 4

Dennis is a star and will be the face of the franchise. I am giddy thinking about his PnR's to Al. Dennis still has A LOT to learn about the PG position on a professional level but his tools are uncanny for his position.

• Like 2

Think about the people who shook their heads when we traded Larkin (Don't lie. I did). But watching the summit just let you know he had something about him. Watching his SL games, you gotta give Ferry and the scouts a lot of credit. This COULD be the foundation we needed to get the Hawks some relevance. And Lucas is gaining more fans as well. I've started playing 2K again! LOL

Think about the people who shook their heads when we traded Larkin (Don't lie. I did). But watching the summit just let you know he had something about him. Watching his SL games, you gotta give Ferry and the scouts a lot of credit. This COULD be the foundation we needed to get the Hawks some relevance. And Lucas is gaining more fans as well. I've started playing 2K again! LOL

I shook my head when we traded the pick but not because it was Larkin. I was hoping we were going to take Dieng there.

I shook my head when we traded the pick but not because it was Larkin. I was hoping we were going to take Dieng there.

I cooled on Dieng for some reason, probably health, and I just didn't see the Schröder pick at all. But I liked him...I didn't think Ferry had a chance at him.

You know, the Nike Hoop Summit game is what pt put Dennis on the map to NBA scouts. In this game, Dennis pretty much dictated the pace and flow of the game against players who are considered to be potential top 10 picks in the 2014 draft -- the supposed greatest draft in the history of the NBA if you listen to the supporters of tanking.

Dennis had a decision to make after the Hoop Summit game. He could either leave his name in the draft, or he could pull it out and spend another year or two overseas developing his game. Prior to that game, I think scouts knew of him, but they didn't pay as much attention to him as they did when they saw him run circles around the likes of Andrew Harrison.

I made this statement over at Peachtree Hoops, but had Dennis pulled his name out of this draft, it is very possible that with a full year of scouts following him at every step, he would have been a top 10 prospect for the 2014 draft. A top 10 prospect in the perceived greatest thing since sliced bread draft that we should tank for. A top 10 prospect that we got with the 17th overall pick in 2013 because he is a player that "snuck up" on scouts.

Considering that we got Nogueira, I'm not the least bit upset about not taking Dieng. I think Nogueira will be a better player long term. He's more athletic, longer, has quicker hands and feet, and I think more aggression to his game than Dieng at this point.

You know, the Nike Hoop Summit game is what pt put Dennis on the map to NBA scouts. In this game, Dennis pretty much dictated the pace and flow of the game against players who are considered to be potential top 10 picks in the 2014 draft -- the supposed greatest draft in the history of the NBA if you listen to the supporters of tanking.

Dennis had a decision to make after the Hoop Summit game. He could either leave his name in the draft, or he could pull it out and spend another year or two overseas developing his game. Prior to that game, I think scouts knew of him, but they didn't pay as much attention to him as they did when they saw him run circles around the likes of Andrew Harrison.

I made this statement over at Peachtree Hoops, but had Dennis pulled his name out of this draft, it is very possible that with a full year of scouts following him at every step, he would have been a top 10 prospect for the 2014 draft. A top 10 prospect in the perceived greatest thing since sliced bread draft that we should tank for. A top 10 prospect that we got with the 17th overall pick in 2013 because he is a player that "snuck up" on scouts.

The NHS definitely put him on the map of the casual scout. I'm sure that Danny and his crew had already scouted him though as I'm 99% sure we are the team that promised him way back at the combine when he basically mailed it in and stopped working out for teams due to a rumored promise.

Considering that we got Nogueira, I'm not the least bit upset about not taking Dieng. I think Nogueira will be a better player long term. He's more athletic, longer, has quicker hands and feet, and I think more aggression to his game than Dieng at this point.

At that point I was hoping we'd have Nogueira, Schröder AND Dieng.

The NHS definitely put him on the map of the casual scout. I'm sure that Danny and his crew had already scouted him though as I'm 99% sure we are the team that promised him way back at the combine when he basically mailed it in and stopped working out for teams due to a rumored promise.

Why does this feel so much better than the "promise" we gave Sheldon Williams (did we actually)?

• Like 2

• Admin

I would like to remind that this is summer league...it is nice to see that Dennis has been playing well is good but calling him a star and all is a lot premature

I was hoping for the Russian dude that went to the cavs

I would like to remind that this is summer league...it is nice to see that Dennis has been playing well is good but calling him a star and all is a lot prematureI was hoping for the Russian dude that went to the cavs

I wouldn't have been mad with that either.

I would like to remind that this is summer league...it is nice to see that Dennis has been playing well is good but calling him a star and all is a lot prematureI was hoping for the Russian dude that went to the cavs

I don't think anyone is getting ahead of themselves, but Dennis is a top 5 in the summer league and that's without a consistent jumper, etc.....I think the realistic people know he'll bump his head a few times on his ascension, but it's good to know he has an elevator.

You know, the Nike Hoop Summit game is what pt put Dennis on the map to NBA scouts. In this game, Dennis pretty much dictated the pace and flow of the game against players who are considered to be potential top 10 picks in the 2014 draft -- the supposed greatest draft in the history of the NBA if you listen to the supporters of tanking. Dennis had a decision to make after the Hoop Summit game. He could either leave his name in the draft, or he could pull it out and spend another year or two overseas developing his game. Prior to that game, I think scouts knew of him, but they didn't pay as much attention to him as they did when they saw him run circles around the likes of Andrew Harrison. I made this statement over at Peachtree Hoops, but had Dennis pulled his name out of this draft, it is very possible that with a full year of scouts following him at every step, he would have been a top 10 prospect for the 2014 draft. A top 10 prospect in the perceived greatest thing since sliced bread draft that we should tank for. A top 10 prospect that we got with the 17th overall pick in 2013 because he is a player that "snuck up" on scouts.

I won't say that this game give dennis the attention of the scouts, nearly everytime he played in germany(at least after 10-15 games of the last season) there was 1-4 scouts in the croud mostly to watch him, and one time even the gm from houston.The summit, brought him the attention of the media.

Exactly. Larkin didn't do much for me to be honest. I really liked the Dennis pick although I didn't have him on my radar. Admittedly, the Bebe pick had me worried a bit because I too wanted Dieng. I'm liking Bebe though a lot so far though.