• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

More stuff on Schröder and Bebe (from ESPN's Daily Dime)

• Moderators

I made this statement over at Peachtree Hoops, but had Dennis pulled his name out of this draft, it is very possible that with a full year of scouts following him at every step, he would have been a top 10 prospect for the 2014 draft. A top 10 prospect in the perceived greatest thing since sliced bread draft that we should tank for. A top 10 prospect that we got with the 17th overall pick in 2013 because he is a player that "snuck up" on scouts.

That would line up well with Rondo again. He went #23 in a very poor draft (Bargnani, Tyrus Thomas and Adam Morrison are 3 of the top 4) and could have gone top 10 in a much stronger draft the next year (Oden, Durant, Horford, Conley, etc.). Of course, had he gone the next year #11 would have been even better than top 10.

Why does this feel so much better than the "promise" we gave Sheldon Williams (did we actually)?

Yes. We did. Moronically. (Moronic because even if SW was the guy you were going to take, you trade back and collect assets and take him a few picks later when you have Brandon Roy and Rudy Gay still unpicked and highly desired).

Fell in love with him once I started to semi scout the world team in the hoop summit game. Always felt his defense and pg skills could translate to the NBA.

I can't get too excited because his upward trend reminds me of R. Beaubois for the Mavs. Kid was lighting up the league but his career is derailed by injuries right now.

That would line up well with Rondo again. He went #23 in a very poor draft (Bargnani, Tyrus Thomas and Adam Morrison are 3 of the top 4) and could have gone top 10 in a much stronger draft the next year (Oden, Durant, Horford, Conley, etc.). Of course, had he gone the next year #11 would have been even better than top 10.

Yes. We did. Moronically. (Moronic because even if SW was the guy you were going to take, you trade back and collect assets and take him a few picks later when you have Brandon Roy and Rudy Gay still unpicked and highly desired).

You and I had several discussions about Rondo prior to that draft. I remember discussing with you how I felt Rajon was held back by Tubby Smith's system at Kentucky and would go pro just to get out of that system. At the time, I think you were not necessarily against drafting Rondo but also not necessarily for drafting Rondo. I was somewhat for making the reach to take Rondo with the 5th or 6th pick that year, can't remember which one we had and blew.

I won't say that this game give dennis the attention of the scouts, nearly everytime he played in germany(at least after 10-15 games of the last season) there was 1-4 scouts in the croud mostly to watch him, and one time even the gm from houston.The summit, brought him the attention of the media.

I won't say that this game give dennis the attention of the scouts, nearly everytime he played in germany(at least after 10-15 games of the last season) there was 1-4 scouts in the croud mostly to watch him, and one time even the gm from houston.The summit, brought him the attention of the media.

what kind of competition did he play against last year: ie in the summer league

what kind of competition did he play against last year: ie in the summer league

in german league the team are composed of 6 national player and 6 foreign players. Usually the foreign players have the most responsibility(the six germans get in average 30% of the playing time), the foreign players are mostly second tier college stars with some extra years pro experience and developing.

In europe game you ask for a bit different skillset then for the usual US ball, you have less space then in the nba to penetrate so that you play a much more systematic ball and favors player with good fundamentals more then the athletics in comparision to the US leagues.

• Like 1

I really liked Dennis before draft but thought there was no way he would be there when we picked. As Dolf mentioned they kept saying he had a promise. I thought for sure that promise was either at #12 okc or #16 celtics. But I guess its seems like the promise may have been from us. I love it. :-)

• Premium Member

Oh. The B.S. is being passed. "I liked him before the draft". " I liked him when I scouted the world games". B.S. Nobody was clamouring about Dennis until after somebody said "he has a game like Rondo". And even then what was meant was that he had a good defense, poor shooting, and played out of control at times. In fact, Nobody embraced Dennis (here) until after Doc went to LAC and we knew that CP3 was not a possibility.

Don't get me wrong, I like Dennis' potential but Potential means nothing until it is realized. Let's give him time to realize it.

I also like Bebe's potential... A lot. He's been under reported because of Dennis' swagger. However, of the two, I can see Bebe' being the more impactful player. Have you looked at him. IF we put 20-30 more pounds on him and let him workout with Brand (In practice), this guy could be a top 3 C. Forget D12. This guy is a quick jumper, has shot blocking timing, and can already play the pick and roll. He needs weight, strength, and polish.

• Moderators

Oh. The B.S. is being passed. "I liked him before the draft". " I liked him when I scouted the world games". B.S. Nobody was clamouring about Dennis until after somebody said "he has a game like Rondo". And even then what was meant was that he had a good defense, poor shooting, and played out of control at times. In fact, Nobody embraced Dennis (here) until after Doc went to LAC and we knew that CP3 was not a possibility.

Don't get me wrong, I like Dennis' potential but Potential means nothing until it is realized. Let's give him time to realize it.

I also like Bebe's potential... A lot. He's been under reported because of Dennis' swagger. However, of the two, I can see Bebe' being the more impactful player. Have you looked at him. IF we put 20-30 more pounds on him and let him workout with Brand (In practice), this guy could be a top 3 C. Forget D12. This guy is a quick jumper, has shot blocking timing, and can already play the pick and roll. He needs weight, strength, and polish.

I've been a big fan of Dennis all along. Ever since we drafted him and somebody told me who he was.

Diesel I think you need a hug ...something. I never BS about who I like or don't. I don't really care what anyone thinks I liked Dennis a lot but didn't think we had a chance at him. And here is an example of me being real. I thought Marvin Williams was the next coming of James Worthy. I bought 2 Marvin jerseys, a road red and an alternate yellow. I WAS DEAD WRONG ABOUT HIM AND I ADMIT IT. All I can say is you hit on some prospects and miss on others.

• Moderators

You and I had several discussions about Rondo prior to that draft. I remember discussing with you how I felt Rajon was held back by Tubby Smith's system at Kentucky and would go pro just to get out of that system. At the time, I think you were not necessarily against drafting Rondo but also not necessarily for drafting Rondo. I was somewhat for making the reach to take Rondo with the 5th or 6th pick that year, can't remember which one we had and blew.

I was a fan of Rondo's and said as much but I wasn't in favor of reaching for him as high as 5 or 6. I thought his shooting limitations in particular would cause him to go later where he would be a big value. I thought his passing ability, rebounding and driving ability gave him the potential to be a real impact player. Rough.

You and I were definitely two of his fans on here on.

Edited by AHF

• Moderators

Here were some of my Rondo posts back in 2006:

General Manager

[*]Posted Image [*]Moderators [*]Posted Image [*]18,385 posts [*]Joined 26-January 04

Posted 09 January 2006 - 02:12 PM

I am perhaps the biggest Rondo fan on this board but I would not say he will easily be better than Paul in the NBA. He won't make the impact of Paul his first year in the league for sure. As of now, I'd say Paul is the better prospect (he is only 1 year older than Rondo). Rondo is held back by the lack of balance and scoring talent on the UK roster, though. We'll see what Morris does to this team in his return.

Who is he supposed to pass the ball to? The problem is that the team is not moving off the ball this season and there is no post presence.

How do you expect a PG to do amazing things when he can't shoot a long jumper, no one is cutting and there is no one effective in the post? All he can really do is pass the ball around the perimeter or try to force a drive and dish when players are sagging off of him into the lane and people aren't cutting for him when he drives.

No, I wouldn't want to draft him based on high school. If you watched Kentucky last year, Rondo set steals records for UK (not freshmen - overall single season steals and there have been a lot of good players at UK) and was the most important player on the floor by the time of the NCAA tournament. He then went over the summer and beat out the best PGs in the college game to become the leading point guard for the under-21 national team.
This season he has been limited by the offensive games of his teammates and Tubby's inability to get them to move effectively off the ball but he still is putting up impressive #s and leading the team in every significant stat category. He will become the first Kentucky PG ever to lead the team in rebounding to set another UK record this year.

I expect that he will look better with Morris back but the biggest key for him to look good as a playmaker would be getting people moving off the ball.

The high school comparison is only relevant because of the people he is being compared against who became NBA point guards.

KB's Post from the same thread:

Excited about our new PG of the future.

I want him to start right away though like they did with TOny Parker and learn from his mistakes since we're not doing anywhere. Or if we do, then he will be the one taking us there and not Teague.

Hate to stash him away for 2 or 3 years. Readon why I didn't like the Teague resigning too much.

Edited by Playa